BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP MAIN battery drain problem (not clock bat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

manlius

Premium Subscriber
I’ve had my 436 since last Christmas, best present ever! (Thanks Wendy & Kasey!). I love it. One of the first things I did after getting it was to replace the 2300 mah batteries with 2700’s. Typical use is to charge overnight with batteries in unit and powered off. In the morning I use it on battery power for the 15-20 minute ride to my warehouse. Upon jumping in my work truck, I’ll switch to USB power for anywhere from 8 to 14 hours. Then back to battery power for the ride home. In the evening I’ll listen at home while powered from the wall and connected to my AntennaCraft SC-2 that’s 55’ up on a tower. On weekends while working in the yard or in the garage I’ll run on batteries for 4-6 hours or so.

Here’s the issue. Lately, when I get in the work truck and run it for the day on external power, again, after fully charging internal batteries overnight, by the end of the workday I’ll get the low battery message on the screen. I will unplug the unit and check the on-screen battery level and it will be down to 3.25v. I will clear the warning message and plug it back in and it will continue to run just fine with the exception of throwing the warning on screen off and on repeatedly. I have checked the cable and it is fine. As I understand it, while plugged in, the on board batteries should be off line and the internal clock battery gets charged. By the way, I have not had the clock battery issue. Has anyone else had this issue? What am I missing? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manlius

Premium Subscriber
Rechargeable batteries only last so long, after a year, I think it's time to get some new ones.

After posting this and re-reading, it dawned on me that maybe they were getting tired. Thanks for reinforcing that thought, Chris. I’ll be hitting Batteries Plus tomorrow morning and seeing if that cures the problem.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't use mine the same way you do but my batteries have lasted about 2 years, so far. I don't charge them in the radio, however. I have the Maha charger and it performs several charging, recycling and revival features to extend the life of the batteries.

Typically, the built-in charger goes for 14 hours, regardless of the drainage on the batteries. If I'm not mistaken, it's designed to charge 2300 mah batteries that are fully or almost fully discharged. The charger reads the clock, not the battery strength. What I'm saying is, your charging methods may be hurting your batteries.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Rechargeable batteries only last so long, after a year, I think it's time to get some new ones.

I was going to suggest he get a smart charger and do a refresh cycle on the batteries (in addition to buying another set, just in case, or for later use). charging the batteries in the 436 has it's limitations as have been discussed on many forums. whether or not this is the problem (and it likely is), its a good idea to charge the batteries externally. i keep 3 or 4 sets charged and rotate them. i seldom take them down to the point where the scanners shuts off or warns me. i just pull them and run them on the discharge cycle and then recharge. put the new set it. this way, i dont risk running out of battery when out and about. sure i could keep a spare set with me, but that is a pain when walking or hiking.

manlius

Premium Subscriber
I don't use mine the same way you do but my batteries have lasted about 2 years, so far. I don't charge them in the radio, however. I have the Maha charger and it performs several charging, recycling and revival features to extend the life of the batteries.

Typically, the built-in charger goes for 14 hours, regardless of the drainage on the batteries. If I'm not mistaken, it's designed to charge 2300 mah batteries that are fully or almost fully discharged. The charger reads the clock, not the battery strength. What I'm saying is, your charging methods may be hurting your batteries.

In the settings menu there is a place to change the charge time, shortest being 8 hours, but I have no idea if it adjusts the output higher when shortening the time span. I have also been contemplating getting a good conditioning charger, as well, but haven’t found the time. I guess it’s time to make the time!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I only use the built-in charger in an emergency. You can not alter the output, only the time.

N5XTC is right. You could possibly revive the batteries with a smart charger. Maybe not, but it's worth a try. Rechargeable batteries don't last forever. Proper charging, however, can dramatically extend the life of the them. A smart charger can pay for itself.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I only use the built-in charger in an emergency. You can not alter the output, only the time.

N5XTC is right. You could possibly revive the batteries with a smart charger. Maybe not, but it's worth a try. Rechargeable batteries don't last forever. Proper charging, however, can dramatically extend the life of the them. A smart charger can pay for itself.
At the least, using the refresh option on a smart charger can help to pinpoint whether all of the batteries are at or past their useful life, or if there is one specific cell that is failing.

manlius

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE: I replaced the batteries with new 2750 mAh NmH. I’m awaiting the arrival of a new smart charger, so I’m still relying on the internal charger. I did notice an immediate improvement in the full charge voltage per the onboard readout (4.11v up from 3.65v on the tired cells). However, I was still experiencing the same discharge problem. It would just take longer to show up. Last night while on a 15-1/2 hour slow crawl from Allegan to Greenville to Flint ending Holland (normally 6-1/2 hours), I started getting a persistent warning. Voltage was down to 3.13 so I decided to shut it down and let it charge. As usual, I saw the standard question about if I wanted to charge it. I hit yes and within 3 seconds I got the question again. This repeated over and over. The USB cable was plugged into my laptop which is in turn connected to a 3000 watt inverter. Wanting to eliminate the power supply as being the possible source of the problem, I switched to a 3.5 amp USB socket connected to 12v vehicle power. Same thing. When I got home last night, I charged it up in the house with my cable I keep there. I took that cable with me today and have had it plugged in with that. As I write this while leaving Detroit at 5:35pm, I unplugged it and checked the battery voltage. Currently reading 3.98v after being on all day. I’ll be picking up a new cable at my first opportunity.

manlius

Premium Subscriber
PS: (as if my update wasn’t long enough!). I was very relieved to find that it was the cable and not the socket in the radio that went bad. And it was the actual male connector that got sloppy, most likely caused by multiple connect/disconnect cycles a day. What puzzles me is why I didn’t experience repeated occurrences of the Mass Storage/Serial Port question if it was making and breaking connections while powered up. The only explanation I can think of is that the data terminals managed to stay connected while the power terminals didn’t.

I’m interested in hearing what anyone thinks about how important it is to use a cable with the induction coil (at least I think that’s what it is) vs. just a straight cable. My guess is that it’s for isolation purposes. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!

Ubbe

It's a ferrite core on the outside of the cable to keep it from emitting any RF interference.
You could get interference while listening to the scanner while the cable is connected if you do not have that ferrite core on the cable.

/Ubbe

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I thought my 2300 were shot. I would charge with LaCross charger. Install in scanner. Then plug usb in and listen at home. Batt meter would goto 4.11 or something like that but more than the fresh charged batts. So after like 4 or 5 hours on usb, listening to my scanner, take usb off and go outside and it's beeping after like 30 minutes. Seem like my batts are being discharged while in the radio when connected to usb.

WeldGuy

Premium Subscriber
Batteries

I NEVER use the radio to charge the batteries. Not only NOT a Smart Charger... it's downright DUMB!

I have three sets of batteries. I cycle them in and out of the radio, using a Smart Charger in between.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have never charged batts in the scanner. @ James, its funny, I was looking at something very similar to that a few days ago. Going to get one and see what's up..

JamesO

The USB Voltage/Current meters are actually very handy. Given so many of the USB power adapters look very similar, but many tables and other devices really need 1+ Amp to properly charge this will allow you to quickly see if the adapter you are using is putting out as much Current as you need and it will also show you if there is a wimpy USB charging cable or a cable with a bad connection. You can also see if and when the device shuts down and quits charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.