Having scanners/radios near computers etc, problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

So I'm setting up my desk and I have my scanners set right next to my gaming desktop PC and underneath the desk I have my power strip along with my laptop that is usually on. I also have 3 PC monitors set up side by side (I'm a freelance video editor) My question is will having my scanners near computers that emit RF affect the scanners performance? I do have the antennas set up like 6 feet away but the coax cables do run behind the desktop computer. I remember my old Motorola saber used to open the squelch and overload near electronic equipment so the thought came up.

Thanks in advance.

The scanner units I have: home patrol-1, bcd536hp, RS pro-163, yaesu vx-8dr

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
CRT monitors, or LCD? Older CRT monitors were noisy, especially inexpensive ones. Hi-end ones ie; CAD, were usually fully shielded and grounded internally.

You shouldn't have a problem. I have a workstation, a laptop, three LCD monitors, and 2.4GHz/5GHz router, a 5GHz wireless phone, a 900MHz intercom, and a Wi-Fi alarm system hub, all within four feet of all my scanners, no problem of any kind.

Danny37

Lcd monitors. I noticed in my old place when the yaesu was near the monitors the signal would drop completely. Then again it could be just a dead spot, because I've placed it on top of the ps4 and it worked fine.

jim202

You will have no issues of any kind

What do you use to give that answer?

I have a number of computers in my radio workshop and they all cause some sort of noise problem with different radio receivers i have going. One of the biggest culprits is the CAT5 network cables.

Some noise can come from network cables and NIC cards in the computers. Some of the NIC cards even generate noise with the computer off. The power supply is on and is still providing power to the NIC cards.

You can reduce the NIC and cable radiation by using ferite cores on the CAT5 cables by mounting the cores real close to the NIC card.

Some of the other computer seem to generate noise when they are running. This will be on a case by case basis, depending on the motherboard in the computer.

Depending on the type and age of your monitors you can also see some noise generated by them. Again, the noise and at what level will depend on how well they were designed and their age. Newer monitors seem to be more on the quieter side than older models. Again your mileage will vary with make and models.

You can get noise from some wall warts that power various devices including the one that came with your scanner. Only way to find out if there will be a problem is to put it all together and try it.

Locating noise can be a royal pain in the rear. I find that using a portable radio on the frequency range your having problems with is a good tool. If the scanner is locking up a particular frequency, then put that frequency in your portable and start moving around to find the source. It may mean shutting of different devices and even pulling the power plug out of the wall.

There are a number of noise sources that most people never think about. This thread is not geared toward the noise hunt per say, so i will save that for another day.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's not so much how close the computer is to the scanner, as how close it is to the antenna.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It's not so much how close the computer is to the scanner, as how close it is to the antenna.
Exactly. Using an external antenna as opposed to one on the scanner itself negates the effect of interference from any local devices. One of my scanners would stall on interference from an inkjet printer I was using at the time. Besides PC's, monitors, and printers, in some cases broadband modems and other items can be a factor.

majoco

Stirrer
You will have no issues of any kind
That's a pretty broad statement.

I do get quite a few spurs from my computer, more from the LCD monitor , not any from a laptop ,some even some from other radios, especially oscillator harmonics into the scanners and VHF/UHF receivers. All my antennas are up on the roof, the HF receivers are fed through a commercial multicoupler with inbuilt low-pass filters and still the little so-and-so's get in!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

I have a number of computers in my radio workshop and they all cause some sort of noise problem with different radio receivers i have going. One of the biggest culprits is the CAT5 network cables.

Some noise can come from network cables and NIC cards in the computers. Some of the NIC cards even generate noise with the computer off. The power supply is on and is still providing power to the NIC cards.

You can reduce the NIC and cable radiation by using ferite cores on the CAT5 cables by mounting the cores real close to the NIC card.

Some of the other computer seem to generate noise when they are running. This will be on a case by case basis, depending on the motherboard in the computer.

Depending on the type and age of your monitors you can also see some noise generated by them. Again, the noise and at what level will depend on how well they were designed and their age. Newer monitors seem to be more on the quieter side than older models. Again your mileage will vary with make and models.

You can get noise from some wall warts that power various devices including the one that came with your scanner. Only way to find out if there will be a problem is to put it all together and try it.

Locating noise can be a royal pain in the rear. I find that using a portable radio on the frequency range your having problems with is a good tool. If the scanner is locking up a particular frequency, then put that frequency in your portable and start moving around to find the source. It may mean shutting of different devices and even pulling the power plug out of the wall.

There are a number of noise sources that most people never think about. This thread is not geared toward the noise hunt per say, so i will save that for another day.

I'm using CAT7 cables. That helps.

4 Simple Reasons Why Choosing CAT 7 Cable Really Pays Off
https://www.loxone.com/enus/blog/cat7-cable/

I also run Dell Precision class workstations. They're built to a higher specification in many regards. Heavily shielded enclosures, better filtering on power supplies, etc. My monitors are Dell LED, better shielding, higher quality than normal retail grade.

All 120V gear have surge protectors with RFI noise filtering. I also feed critical gear with a APC SmartUPS that also filters noise and interference.

My router cost $400, so again, better shielding/filtering. Shielded audio, USB, and serial cables. It all adds up to much less noise.

My scanners: Uniden BCT15X, BCD996XT, and BCD996P2

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

All my antennas are in the same room, nothing outside. They're all tuned to the bands I monitor, and I also have a FM broadcast filter on my air-band scanner.

CQ

I have so much crap (consumer to receiving, transmitting and enterprise equipment) in a 120 sq. ft. space that I really haven't had anything out of the ordinary except when sometimes transmitting at 50W+.

The one real weird thing was with a radio, I think an SDR, where if I was using a web browser and the page was white then I would hear some buzzing. I navigated away and it stopped. I could reproduce at will but forgot what gear it was since it was a while back.

The only current issue I have is with my tin can TRX-2 and intermod.

And I happen to have the BCD536HP and VX-8DR in use with no issues.

If I had nothing else to do and started hunting for EMI I'm sure I'd be able to measure but who cares if it's not interfering audibly, during data display, corrupting my stored data or wiping magnetic media. You should see the cornucopia of intertwined cabling I have.

Last edited:

Rred

You *might* have no issues. "Part15" speaks on the subject of devices creating radio interference, and devices including computers can be rated for HOME or BUSINESS (commercial) use. The equipment sold and approved as meeting Part15 for home use is cleaner, and emits less interference--but that doesn't mean no interference. Most computer vendors don't even ask if you are buying a computer for home or business use, much less mention which it is certified for.

I had horrible interference, on a good VHF radio, that I couldn't pin down. It turned out to be coming from the wired home router, and even enclosing that in a solid metal tin, enough noise was being put out on the ethernet wiring to do the damage. The only solution was to turn off the router when I wanted clear radio.

Eventually the router got replaced, which solved the problem.

There are a lot of "home" LD light bulbs which also add background noise to any radio in the same room.

So, all you can do is try it. Damage? No. Noise problems? Will depend on the exact equipment, and then you have to try the usual ways to minimize it.

bb911

.... One of the biggest culprits is the CAT5 network cables...

You can reduce the NIC and cable radiation by using ferite cores on the CAT5 cables by mounting the cores real close to the NIC card...

That was my experience some years ago. I had to put snap on ferrite cores on the network cable and output to printer. Expert on subject advised me to place them at random lengths along the cables. Worked great.

Danny37

I'm using CAT7 cables. That helps.

4 Simple Reasons Why Choosing CAT 7 Cable Really Pays Off
https://www.loxone.com/enus/blog/cat7-cable/

I also run Dell Precision class workstations. They're built to a higher specification in many regards. Heavily shielded enclosures, better filtering on power supplies, etc. My monitors are Dell LED, better shielding, higher quality than normal retail grade.

All 120V gear have surge protectors with RFI noise filtering. I also feed critical gear with a APC SmartUPS that also filters noise and interference.

My router cost $400, so again, better shielding/filtering. Shielded audio, USB, and serial cables. It all adds up to much less noise.

My scanners: Uniden BCT15X, BCD996XT, and BCD996P2

I run cat 5e and cat 6 into a Ethernet hub, do you think it's worth upgrading to cat 7 cables?

Danny37

You *might* have no issues. "Part15" speaks on the subject of devices creating radio interference, and devices including computers can be rated for HOME or BUSINESS (commercial) use. The equipment sold and approved as meeting Part15 for home use is cleaner, and emits less interference--but that doesn't mean no interference. Most computer vendors don't even ask if you are buying a computer for home or business use, much less mention which it is certified for.

I had horrible interference, on a good VHF radio, that I couldn't pin down. It turned out to be coming from the wired home router, and even enclosing that in a solid metal tin, enough noise was being put out on the ethernet wiring to do the damage. The only solution was to turn off the router when I wanted clear radio.

Eventually the router got replaced, which solved the problem.

There are a lot of "home" LD light bulbs which also add background noise to any radio in the same room.

So, all you can do is try it. Damage? No. Noise problems? Will depend on the exact equipment, and then you have to try the usual ways to minimize it.

I didn't think about that, I have my router a good 3 feet away on the same desk. I wonder if that would be an issue.

tumegpc

I have confirmed that the LCD screens on Pioneer car audio wreaks havoc on any scanner within 12". I have no issues with Kenwood . Dummy me recently sold my truck with the Kenwood and went out and purchased a new head unit for my car and I bought a Pioneer ... finally got around to bringing scanner and within 30 seconds I remembered ! RRRRRRRR

At least this head unit has an option to shut off the screen with a quick push of a button while keeping the audio on .

mattw19781

AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR KN4VLT
scanners near pcs

i have 2 base and two handheld scanners on a shelf right above my laptop and there all plugged in to surge protectors along with other stuff like lights etc while i have none of the same scanners that you have i'v never had any interference problems and my laptop stays on all the time that i'm listening to my scanners
well good luck to you
matthew

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Good for you. I have a LCD TV that emits a considerable amount of RFI on certain VHF frequencies, and my laptop does the same. Every device is different regarding RFI, and just because your devices don't interfere with the frequencies you monitor, it doesn't make putting computers or other electronic devices next to a scanner antenna a good idea. It may not affect you, but it's a bad idea in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.