AC Adapter Confusion /Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginky4

My original equipment AC power adapter for this scanner went bad so I ordered a new one. The new adapter that came looks totally different than my original one. Is this going to be ok? The adapter on the left is my original one. The adapter on the right is the replacement one. Both are part number AD-1001.

I have attached a picture.

Attachments

• ad1001-ac-power-adapter.jpg
    ad1001-ac-power-adapter.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 290
  • prev_20170601_1236221%20(2).jpg
    prev_20170601_1236221%20(2).jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 287

troymail

Silent Key
Should be fine as long as the voltages, etc and plug are the same.

I ordered a replacement power supply for a PSR-500 and they "look" completely different but it works just fine.

ginky4

The plug to the scanner fits fine. It seems to work and charge the batteries ok. I guess it is a new redesigned version. Maybe UPMan can shed some light.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Over the years, I've probably accumulated at least 20 of the power supplies. They all look different but most have the exact same electrical qualities. The only ones that look the same are the Samsung ones.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
The ONLY thing you must be concerned about is the Voltage, the Amperage (or Wattage) and the plug with it's polarity. Nothing else. Designs change all the time.
As KK4JUG posted above, I've saved over 50 wall warts and glad I've done so. Saved money by not having to buy a new one. The only thing I may have to change will be the plug or reverse the polarity if need be.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
To clarify:
Voltage must be a match. Too high and too low are both bad. Too low will not run the unit, too high will fry it.

Amperage must be greater than or equal to the rated draw of the device. Having a supply rated higher than the load means the supply will run cooler, and will be less likely to fail than one running at the ragged edge of its capability.

Polarity on DC devices must match. Reversing polarity will fry everything.

And of course, the connector must fit correctly.

Nothing else matters.

mattw19781

AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR KN4VLT
ac adapter

the same thing happened to me but i got a adapter that looks like the one on the left in your photo when i ordered a 2nd of the same model scanner when the one i ordered a few years earlier was a big square boxy thing well good luck to you
matthew

ginky4

I charged the scanner up last night using the newer design AC Adapter and it appears that everything is working/charging correctly. It is a Uniden adapter not a knock off.

One thing I do like about the newer adapter is the size of it. Since it is much smaller , it doesn't block/cover up the other AC plugs like the original larger adapter did.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
when it comes down to power supply and USB cables i always shop from Scanner Master. I may not get the cheapest price but feel confident I got the one for my scanner. I have to much invested in my scanners to try and save a couple of bucks on a purchase. Just saying ...........

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
when it comes down to power supply and USB cables i always shop from Scanner Master. I may not get the cheapest price but feel confident I got the one for my scanner. I have to much invested in my scanners to try and save a couple of bucks on a purchase. Just saying ...........

I can appreciate what you say and Scannermaster is a great company but.....

Look at that power supply. Where is it made? China. My power supply was possibly made by the same company in China. It looks exactly like It except that it doesn't have Uniden stamped on it and I can buy 5 or 6 of them for what the Uniden power supply cost.

Those things aren't rocket science so it's not a specialized piece of equipment anymore. It's like a Baofeng radio or a Bic lighter. If it quits working, you throw it away. You can't fix it.

majoco

Stirrer
Well, so many opinions - here's my 10c.

Of course the voltage must be right - and the polarity at the plug - but the current? There's the catch.

Switch mode power supplies are probably better in this respect - whatever the current draw is, the output voltage is regulated to the figure shown on the case - it's built-in to the electronics.

But transformer-rectifier supplies will only give out the rated voltage at the rated current - so if you have a 12vDC supply at 500mA and you draw only 200mA from it, the output voltage is liable to be an appreciable bit higher - say 15v. To add insult to injury - the smaller the supply, the worse the regulation becomes.

So perhaps that big chunky Uniden power supply that cost quite a few dollars more might be the best bet.

For real safety - don't run your handie scanner from the charger - use that to charge the batteries then remove the charger before you turn the radio on - because as the current drops when the battery voltage rises near full charge, the power supply voltage rises some more and so on. Disconnect the charge and wait a few minutes.

If you are using a mobile style scanner on your bench, then the problem doesn't arise. Car batteries will rise to sometimes over 16v when being charged and there is also voltage spike protection in the radio - or there should be! But this is another reason for not running your handie off the car cigar lighter socket inless the adapter is regulated..... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.