TRX-1: Volume on conventional freqs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

shajoe44

Is there anyway to increase the volume when receiving conventional freqs? The volume is much lower than the trunking talkgroups that I am receiving.

Thanks

budevans

Is there anyway to increase the volume when receiving conventional freqs? The volume is much lower than the trunking talkgroups that I am receiving.

Thanks

Yes, using the Whistler software click on the ABst "Audio Boost" box for the freq's. You can also do a range for freq's in one pass, by clicking on one row. Then hold down the Shift Key and press the down arrow to highlight the range. Once highlighted click on the first ABst block in the highlight range. The ABst for the range will be set.

Attachments

• ABst.jpg
    ABst.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 321
  • ABst1.jpg
    ABst1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 313

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 volume

No. And that audioboost EZScan setting does nothing. It's a joke. That's been my 2nd biggest gripe at the Whistler WS1080 since it came out in Sept/2014. These scanners are unusable in the car or truck since they have zero volume gain. Only digital phase II can usually make it over the road noise. I have found a way to enhance the gain in the background. AT home I use a simple RCA 35 mile digital TV antenna amplifier, like from Home Depot or Menards. It does make the conventional louder, raises the background gain. In the car I plug the WS1080 into the 3.5 mm connector for the WS1080 into the **Lutu bluetooth FM transmitter and listen to it on my car stereo speakers. Nice and loud. It's pretty bad that the "new" scanners can't even match my old Pro96 scanner for volume or reception of P25 for that matter. But we do what we need to do to actually hear it. It says right in the manual for these Whistlers .. YOU will need an amplified speaker* at least they warn you.

**https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Blu...rd_wg=GrBQu&psc=1&refRID=RT8PZ9YJ6AE4F38ZQC52

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianG61UK

AudioBoost is for analog only. Also for weak analogue FM modulation change from FM to NFM to make louder.

The nearest for digital is AGC. This should bring up the audio level of weak sounds on digital modes.

shajoe44

Thanks for the info. Also anyone know why I sometimes receive my county EMS and Fire which operates on 154.415 and 155.265. I receive both perfectly on another scanner but reception comes and goes on the TRX 1. I have an all band Tram 1094 3-1/2" magnetic base antenna attached to it. Thanks for any help with this problem.

BrianG61UK

Thanks for the info. Also anyone know why I sometimes receive my county EMS and Fire which operates on 154.415 and 155.265. I receive both perfectly on another scanner but reception comes and goes on the TRX 1. I have an all band Tram 1094 3-1/2" magnetic base antenna attached to it. Thanks for any help with this problem.

It could be that another strong signal on a nearby frequency is overloading the scanner when it's present.

See if enabling the attenuator for those frequencies helps. (It won't necessarily help but it might help if the EMS and Fire are fairly strong).

troymail

Silent Key

As was pointed out in another post, sometimes a strong signal in the area can cause interference. I see that alot when using SDR tools.

Also, in my area, fire/ems paging on VHF seems to only transmit on towers that are closest to the dispatched area (or at least it seems that way). In other areas that I have lived outside North Carolina, the VF signal was always carried equally on all towers in the county.

Fire paging is carried on the trunking system also but only seems to be carried on a specific tower/site of NC VIPER most times. I'm not sure if this is because the transmitter tower is selective based on the call or because radios aren't always affiliated with the other towers and on that talkgroup.

I read something else recently that seems to indicate that this is somewhat common in that the signals aren't necessarily sent over the entire county equally on every call.

shajoe44

In my county we have a North repeater and a South repeater for these 2 agencies. When its broadcast on the South repeater which is only a few miles from me I seem to receive the broadcast. But I guess what I am trying to figure out is why my other older base scanner is receiving all broadcasts and the TRX is intermittent. I know not all scanners receive equally and I guess this might be the case here. The county SD which broadcast on 453.350 is received on both scanners about equally.

troymail

Silent Key
It's pretty hard (I think) to design a radio for great coverage across the entire spectrum. I suspect the newer radios are somewhat slanted towards 700/800 Mhz reception for various reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.