Winooski PD Encrypted or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know (for sure) if Winooski PD (460.2000) is encrypted or not? About a year ago I was going to get a new scanner to listen to them but saw on RR database that it was encrypted, but when I look at the database now, it lists Winooski PD as only "P25" but not encrypted. I want to find out for sure before I drop a few hundred $$$. Thanks!

methusaleh

Within the last month, I heard them once with dispatch in the clear and mobiles P25 w/encryption.

I plugged the frequency into a spare scanner for you and I will monitor it today and see what I observe.

EDIT TO ADD, a short time later...

It appears all traffic is P25 encrypted...

Last edited:
thanks for checking for me, I appreciate your help. I shall save my money. Hard to believe all the tiny towns up here with all the fancy encryption and yet NYC is open as are most other big cities.

SentinelVT

Winooski PD is meant to be encrypted all the time. Occasionally an officer will mistakenly hit the secure/clear switch on their portable allowing you to hear them. With that said, all transmissions on their main channel are always digital regardless if encryption is enabled or not. The dispatch console is always encrypted on their main channel as well.

In other words, it is not worth purchasing a digital scanner as you will only hear them at most 1% of the time.

SentinelVT

Thanks for that information. So it looks like RR just needs to update their database info for Winooski.

That is correct. I had applied to become a database editor a while back since it took forever for someone to approve the change requests and make the edits, but I never heard back ��. It would be nice to able to clean up some of the Vermont database but it would be a little bit of work to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.