Medcenter Air Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRush311

Premium Subscriber
I was monitoring an accident locally here in Union Co and heard them requesting the chopper be sent out
I did not have any helicopter talkgroups programmed in
so Im loading them up and I see channels on the USAI and the VIPER system

does anyone know what talkgroups CMC Medcenter air would use?

trumpetman

Database Admin
If the response is within Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Union, Stanly, Gastonia, or Mooresville (where the UASI radio system is the primary means of communications) you will find MedCenter Air on CMC-LZ-1 or CMC-LZ-2.

If it is outside of the counties mentioned above or a different helicopter service they can be found on VIPER LZ Central or LZ West. There is the slight chance they operate on state fire or a specific county conventional frequency as well in some cases.

JRush311

Premium Subscriber
Have you heard them on there much?
I could see some traffic as far as trees and power lines
or do they offer ETA and other fun things to monitor

trumpetman

Database Admin
It's usually short transmissions. An LZ size-up is given so the pilot knows where to land and what to avoid and an ETA is given, that's usually about it.

spacellamaman

If the response is within Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Union, Stanly, Gastonia, or Mooresville (where the UASI radio system is the primary means of communications) you will find MedCenter Air on CMC-LZ-1 or CMC-LZ-2.

If it is outside of the counties mentioned above or a different helicopter service they can be found on VIPER LZ Central or LZ West. There is the slight chance they operate on state fire or a specific county conventional frequency as well in some cases.

I rarely monitor VIPER or UASI, and can add nothing on that front, however a few months ago I heard a chopper nearby (I was in Stanly Co) and went to signal stalker mode. Caught 3 VHF freqs, IIRC all 150's with PL's. Each time the pilot was trying, apparently with no joy, to contact ground about the LZ situation. I'll have to find my notes for exact freqs, but they were all specific to stanly county or common statewide medical related, tho not Med Helo specific.

Only speculating here, but I got the impression that there was a failure with the SOP's,such as using VIPER or UASI TG's on that occasion. So you may have times where you have to go outside a trunked system even in areas where that is uncommon.

Oh, also I can't remember if it was MedCenter Air specifically, possibly another outfit, which may or may not invalidate the above.

TylerMK

Premium Subscriber
Med Center Air's ground and air units are dispatched on VIPER. I often monitor the air dispatch talkgroup. You'll hear inter-facility transfers and all "scene calls" dispatched within MCA's jurisdiction.

MCA ground dispatch TG - 51535
MCA air dispatch TG - 51533

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.