Determing TG for DMR with BCD536

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
So I am learning more about Talkgroups and DMR and I am monitoring a system nearby in my town that seems to have several TGs, probably associated with each division.

Is there a way fon the BCD536 to set up the scanner so I am able to snag the TGs?

On my BCD325p2 I was able to set Search and grab the CC, but that radio definitely not robust enough for TGs, so someone said the BCD536 should be able to do it.

I am trying to search Google and the forums, but just not seeing it?

It was suggested to hit function E/yes but, this is not techincall a trunk so that feature does not work.

Thoughts? Is it possible?

slingshot202

Feed Provider
How does one do this when it is looking for TG's and sites, etc. I am not seeing anywhere to plug in the frequencey of the channel.

I import a lot of times...so, need some advice on this one.

Thanks.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
How does one do this when it is looking for TG's and sites, etc. I am not seeing anywhere to plug in the frequencey of the channel.

I import a lot of times...so, need some advice on this one.

Thanks.

You need to learn to create a Favorite from scratch. Importing get you past the point where you can edit type of system to monitor.

Take a look at what you already have imported and using (DMR) and reverse engineer that Favorite. Manual did not help much until I had carefully looked at one of my DMR Favorite. Seeing the relationships in the editor between the different section help me to see how to put a Favorite together without importing.

Good Luck,
Mike

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
In Sentinel:
Create a DMR One Frequency system
Create a site in that system
Put the frequency in that site
Set the system to ID Search (this will show all system traffic w/o you needing to program TGIDs, yet)

Last edited:

slingshot202

Feed Provider
This makes me happy! Thanks UPMan!! I am now seeing the talkgroups...now to figure out who is who, but this is a great start.

troymail

Silent Key
CJ

I looked and didn't see it in the posts up to this point but I'm wondering, what type of DMR system (the frequency you are monitoring) is the radio reporting this to be? "DMR"? "CON"? "CAP"?

Last edited:

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I only know it to be DMR... got it off the RR list and from there I am just trying to set up a radio to monitor a few of the talkgroups.

troymail

Silent Key
I only know it to be DMR... got it off the RR list and from there I am just trying to set up a radio to monitor a few of the talkgroups.

Ok - just curious because if the frequency you are working with is part of a system that has a set of frequencies, you may miss conversations. However, if it is a single frequency carrying multiple talkgroups, you'll be fine.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I understand the question... thanks!

From all I can tell they are a single DMR channel using multiple TG's.

I monitored for a while today thanks to UPMan...seeing several TG's on each of their individual channels.

Pretty cool this DMR stuff...other than adding to my scanner this is the first I have been using TG to isolate what I monitor.

garys

Premium Subscriber
If you know who the system belongs to, maybe someone can help you figure out if it's a OFT or a multi frequency trunked system. That's if it's in the RR database, which I think you said it was.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
If you know who the system belongs to, maybe someone can help you figure out if it's a OFT or a multi frequency trunked system. That's if it's in the RR database, which I think you said it was.
They have a bunch of TG's here. Oddly enough on my Anytone D868 I get but 1900 wasn't coming in.

Today insaw traffic on the DMR.channel with a radio ID of i1001 or something then more info to the right but wasn't able to get it written down on time.

Interesting stuff DMR. Perhaps TG1900 is a different slot?

Thanks,
C.J
Sent from the Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Talkgroup and slot are not linked. Any talkgroup can be broadcast on either slot. Some non-trunked systems habitually broadcast certain talkgroups on specific slots, but you shouldn't assume that is generally true.

An i in the talkgroup designates a radio-to-radio private call, and is actually a radio ID, not a talkgroup ID.

Ubbe

If you push the E button it will store the TG to memory so that you can edit it and give it a name.
If you already have the TG stored it will instead store the individual radio ID when you push E.

/Ubbe

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Talkgroup and slot are not linked. Any talkgroup can be broadcast on either slot. Some non-trunked systems habitually broadcast certain talkgroups on specific slots, but you shouldn't assume that is generally true.

An i in the talkgroup designates a radio-to-radio private call, and is actually a radio ID, not a talkgroup ID.

I was thinking the i was a direct radiot to radio. Guess the scanner will pick up this better than on a DMR radio... I just like to be able to monitor what's going on...opening new doors with this DMR stuff.

As for TG 1900 that I can hear on my scanner, does not come in on my portable, could they be on a different time slot? I am not aware of the scanner giving time slots...

W5RGP

They have a bunch of TG's here. Oddly enough on my Anytone D868 I get but 1900 wasn't coming in.

Today insaw traffic on the DMR.channel with a radio ID of i1001 or something then more info to the right but wasn't able to get it written down on time.

Interesting stuff DMR. Perhaps TG1900 is a different slot?

Thanks,
C.J
Sent from the Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

You can log it all with proscan then go back and look at all info without having to write anything down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.