• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KVL-3000+ and APX Wont Communicate

Status
Not open for further replies.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had an issue keyloading an APX (in this case an 8000) and the KVL not communicate with the radio? Correct cable etc used. Upgrading MACE to add AES and DES. Radio already has KG1-ADP. PC. Radio flash is 1AXYNC-01H7D0-0. Hardware ver SHWY05. Secure ver. R010731. Before upgrading MACE, it was attempted to load Hardware ADP key and there was communication failure. No issue with APX accessory port either. Curious if anyone has had this issue or may know a work around. Upgrade is being preformed legitimatley with KVL3000+ and PCMCIA card. Radio under warranty so if there is an issue im just gonna send it to depot but thought I'd check here first.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just covering all of the bases since I deal with both a KVL 3000 & 4000 here at work:

Under Secure Wide->Secure Operation you do have "Hardware" selected correct?

s3pc3st.jpg

I know that seems simple but if you have it marked as software then the KVL won't see it and won't write to it.

Marshall KE4ZNR

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Just covering all of the bases since I deal with both a KVL 3000 & 4000 here at work:

Under Secure Wide->Secure Operation you do have "Hardware" selected correct?

s3pc3st.jpg

I know that seems simple but if you have it marked as software then the KVL won't see it and won't write to it.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Well that may as well be the answer. I had it set to software as i thought the KVL would talk to it regardless of codeplug settings. I will give that a try and report back on the results. Thanks

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Well that may as well be the answer. I had it set to software as i thought the KVL would talk to it regardless of codeplug settings. I will give that a try and report back on the results. Thanks
That should fix it. If you are using a KVL to load any type of key (ADP/DES/AES) then you need to have that field in CPS marked as hardware. You still want to fill in the CKR #s and all in CPS as "Sign pointers" telling the radio which key to use but the key itself is loaded via KVL.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
That should fix it. If you are using a KVL to load any type of key (ADP/DES/AES) then you need to have that field in CPS marked as hardware. You still want to fill in the CKR #s and all in CPS as "Sign pointers" telling the radio which key to use but the key itself is loaded via KVL.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Well that should save the radio a trip to depot then.

masstech

Don't forget to set your Keyloading Source (same sub-menu where KE4ZNR pointed out the Secure Operation selection) to the KVL if you haven't already.

As an aside, that flashcode sounds - no, is very much highly suspect, with lots of signs of it being a grimy depot job:

- you have both Q52 and Q53, where Q52 is the superset of Q53.
- you have both H37 and H38, where H38 is the superset of H37.
- you have QA01768. This is inherently part of the APX platform, and you would NEVER see this in a real flashcode. (although given you have Q52 anyways it's quite clear this radio was depot'd)

This is why people shouldn't dick around with depot - they make whored out flashcodes that just don't make sense.

You send that radio in to the actual depot and the poor underpaid tier 1 tech sees your radio with a suspect origin, eyebrows will be raised. (although lets be honest, they'll probably just not care, shove in a new codeplug, and be done with it)

Last edited:

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Yeah prior to receiving radio it was touched. It was never set to hardware encryption and now I believe that to be the reason why. Have not had a chance to load it back up on the kvl to try.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.