Help in Lansing Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilTeddyP

When I was younger, I always likes CB radios and police scanners and stuff. About 10 years or so ago, I bought a RS Pro-162 and had a buddy of mine program a few freqs in it but it didn't seem to work "very well" so I cleared it and started to "try" and re-program it. Now I'm a pretty "techy" guy, but this thing is really trying my patience. Is there anyone in the Lansing area that can help me program this thing. I know it's not the latest and greatest and doesn't have the new stuff, but I imagine it will still work "ok" in an emergency situation. It's been in a box for years because of the streaming scanner apps now, but I would like it just in case they go down.

I would like Ingham County and Eaton County (and anything else in the area that would be fun to listen to, BWL, consumers, CATA, stuff like that)

Side note, does anyone in the area have a used portable that they would be willing to part with that would cover P25 and all the new "good stuff"

Thanks!

Ted

LilTeddyP

Also, if I do end up buying something new so I can monitor all local communications, has anyone heard of any plans to change systems in the near future? I don't want to spend a good amount of money if things are gonna change.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
There are changes coming, but the time table isn't in place yet. P25 will move to Phase 2, but certainly not everyone at once and not that soon. The big problem will be areas that decide to go encrypted. No one except authorized users will be able to hear their coms. Other change is moving to 700 mhz, which older scanners will not be able to handle.

Last edited:

scannerman5000

Premium Subscriber
I am local, and I can give you a hand. I'd be happy to meet up with you somewhere.
I am a dispatcher at an Ambulance company in Lansing, and a hard-core radio nut!!!

Feel free to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.