• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Site trunking/wide area trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Generally, you don't want to use "Site Trunking" -- I'm not even sure that does anything anymore... Anyone? Bueller?

I believe for the P25 systems themselves, this means that the site isn't currently connected to the network of sites and the traffic heard will be (very?) limited.

"Free scan" roughly equates to a (limited) limit search - you specify the range and other settings.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Think of it like this.
One site has repeaters on it and a trunking controller. Link several of those together via a master switch and you have a multisite system. However if a data link is interrupted and the sites cant talk to each other then it goes back to a site trunking feature. If someone across the county keys up and access the other site your site will not pass his audio because the link has failed and only what is accessed on your site will work. The next step in failure is when the site controller fails and it goes into fail soft mode.

This is very over simplified explination but thats sort of the gist of it.

troymail i believe if a master controller goes down a system wide site trunking can be enabled. Each site has its own site controller but there should be a master that controls them all.
Some larger agencies tend to have a back up controller on another site just in case the main goes down.
So in theory if the master controller dies all sites would go into site trunking.
IF the master is working and the data line to a particular site goes down then that site would be site trunkig while the rest stay normal.

troymail

Silent Key
IF the master is working and the data line to a particular site goes down then that site would be site trunkig while the rest stay normal.
This is what I've seen most of the time.

Based on the way it is written, I suspect "Site Trunking" on the Unication means that if the pager finds a "good" site and that site is broadcasting that it is in "Site Trunking", then don't use it unless "Site Trunking" is enabled on the pager. It makes sense because if you lock onto a site in "Site Trunking" mode, I believe that site will only have traffic that is "local" to that site. Therefore, you may not receive some/most voice calls.

● Site Trunking
Definition
Enable/Disable the Site Trunking.

Options
1. Disabled: Site trunking not allowed. Only wide-area- trunking is accepted during the control channel scanning (Default)
2. Enabled: Both site trunking and wide-area-trunking are accepted.

Mr_Boh

I totally agree with your assessment of site trunking and what the modes are. Just trying to figure out the advantage of a receive only device caring. For transceivers it makes sense because your radio will warn you that it's connected to a site that has lost its link to warn you your transmission might not hit the intended target audience.

But for something like a pager its either you receive audio or not.

troymail

Silent Key
I totally agree with your assessment of site trunking and what the modes are. Just trying to figure out the advantage of a receive only device caring. For transceivers it makes sense because your radio will warn you that it's connected to a site that has lost its link to warn you your transmission might not hit the intended target audience.

Yes, it does seem a little nonsensical for a receive only unit other than to "avoid" any site(s) in the status. Maybe that is why (form what I recall from somewhere) they disabled it so it doesn't do anything now --

Perhaps David or someone can jump in and advise -- but he's been super quiet and not even answering emails....

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

Yes, it does seem a little nonsensical for a receive only unit other than to "avoid" any site(s) in the status. Maybe that is why (form what I recall from somewhere) they disabled it so it doesn't do anything now --

Perhaps David or someone can jump in and advise -- but he's been super quiet and not even answering emails....

Most radios in use are setup to avoid sites in site trunking and find an alternate site. These pagers are designed for public safety users who want to be able to hear radio traffic reliably. In most cases, the dispatch side will be lost on sites in site trunking. Avoiding sites in site trunking makes sense since all the system radios are doing the same thing, otherwise these pagers would be stuck on a site that everyone else is trying to avoid.

This is especially important for these pagers to have this setting so that they can receive an alert from dispatch from a different site that is still connected to the system. I'm sure many would like their local volunteer firefighters to be properly alerted and not stuck trying to receive from a disconnected site.

mdsxfire

EDBM

Busy holiday season?, or better yet maybe super busy finishing the Phase 2 firmware update!!

Status
Not open for further replies.