Moto TRS with constant key-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
In my area the county has a P-16 Motorola trunked system with multiple sites. One of the sites near me has on at least 2 of the voice channels constant, regular key-ups every 60 seconds for a second or so, much like an LTR system.

I do hear the normal analog and P25 voice operations on the freqs when the channels come up in rotation. The control channel, these key-ups and the normal voice ops are all the exact same signal strength.

Has anyone seen a Moto trunked system behave this way?

troymail

Silent Key
Maybe not the same thing and not on a Moto P16 system but I used to see a talkgroup (or maybe a private call?) pop up on regular (1 minute?) intervals on a multi-site 380 Mhz P25 system... I never did figure out what it was - but it seemed like either some type of monitor for something (i.e. - listening for an audible alarm in the area of the transmitter, etc.) or some type of "keep alive" function for something? Of course, I'm only speculating...

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Same thing here

Im my area there is a utility, CLECO, who's 900mhz analog TRS does the same thing. Seems
to key up a voice channel with no traffic. I don't recall unitrunker showing anything. I'll check again.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Has anyone seen a Moto trunked system behave this way?

It's normal behaviour. The keyups allow the controller to measure things like transmitter power and vswr. If a failure is detected, the repeater can be taken out of service.

N9JIG

Sheriff
It's normal behaviour. The keyups allow the controller to measure things like transmitter power and vswr. If a failure is detected, the repeater can be taken out of service.

Wow, thanks Mike.

In 30 years of listening to Moto systems I have never heard this before.

Do all P16 systems do that or is it just some?

trumpetman

Database Admin
We always called it a TSTAT, not sure what the actual functional name was. It's done on all Motorola Type II systems for repeater status reading like Mike said.

ecps92

RSTAT and TSTAT
Receiver Status and Transmitter Status [had to google it]

We always called it a TSTAT, not sure what the actual functional name was. It's done on all Motorola Type II systems for repeater status reading like Mike said.

slicerwizard

Wow, thanks Mike.

In 30 years of listening to Moto systems I have never heard this before.

Do all P16 systems do that or is it just some?
The Ontario-wide Fleetnet system seems to do it on all of the traffic channels. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a option in the system's settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.