WIN500 subscription question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrova

Hello!
So I purchased the Win500 software a number of years ago to set up my psr-500 scanner and would reload frequencies off and on as needed. Since that time, my pc computer that I used the win500 on crashed and I ended up getting a Mac to replace it.
Fast forward to now, I've needed to reload my frequencies, which meant I had to re-download the Win500 onto my work PC laptop. It's reminding me that this is a trial version of the software, and asking if I wish to purchase the software, and enter the key.
What I'm trying to figure out is this - is there a record somewhere of my having purchase the product before so that I don't have to re-purchase the software? And, if so, how to I go about resetting that?
Thanks, Steve

troymail

Silent Key
Hello!
So I purchased the Win500 software a number of years ago to set up my psr-500 scanner and would reload frequencies off and on as needed. Since that time, my pc computer that I used the win500 on crashed and I ended up getting a Mac to replace it.
Fast forward to now, I've needed to reload my frequencies, which meant I had to re-download the Win500 onto my work PC laptop. It's reminding me that this is a trial version of the software, and asking if I wish to purchase the software, and enter the key.
What I'm trying to figure out is this - is there a record somewhere of my having purchase the product before so that I don't have to re-purchase the software? And, if so, how to I go about resetting that?
Thanks, Steve

If I recall, the license string is software generated based on information you provided (name, address, email address, etc.) when making the purchase. I could be wrong but it could be hard/impossible to recover unless you know exactly what information you provided.

mrova

I wondered about that too but I've got all that info, but if I read the screen correctly, I need to re-enter a KEY code, which I have no clue about now. Name, address, email, all that is the same.

mrova

UPDATE: So I went back through the process to purchase...the screen you come to is clear that if you lose the initial key and you've moved to a new computer (as I've done), you either need that initial key OR you just purchase all over again. Bummer, but it is what it is and what it is is my fault. I've got some old files I'm gonna have a look at, there is a very tiny chance I can find that key somewhere. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
UPDATE: So I went back through the process to purchase...the screen you come to is clear that if you lose the initial key and you've moved to a new computer (as I've done), you either need that initial key OR you just purchase all over again. Bummer, but it is what it is. Thanks for your help!

Yeah - I thought I remember reading that somewhere -- I can't blame the developer - he would - and probably still does - get bombarded with "can you resend my key" requests all the time (and I suspect ignores them).

I have my license data archived in my email account (so, essentially, "the cloud").

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I keep all of my software keys on a back up hard drive with other important documents and files for just this sort of situation. When you bought the software it should have prompted you to print the keys after the purchase. Hopefully you have it in a file somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

If you can find the key it should work. My laptop was stolen last year but I had the key on an external drive with other important stuff. I re-downloaded the app to the replacement machine, entered the key, and it worked just fine.

mrova

I keep all of my software keys on a back up hard drive with other important documents and files for just this sort of situation. When you bought the software it should have prompted you to print the keys after the purchase. Hopefully you have it in a file somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks, I went back through an older external harddrive I have...I archived all my file except, you guessed it, my email receipts and such. And, I may have printed it off, but who knows where that might be. Bummed, but again, my bad and when I go through it again - I WILL print it off...and I WILL save that number onto my external harddrives!

mrova

If you can find the key it should work. My laptop was stolen last year but I had the key on an external drive with other important stuff. I re-downloaded the app to the replacement machine, entered the key, and it worked just fine.

Yup, I looked and looked on my external, all my stuff is there, even my old win500 files...but no password. I'll keep looking in case I'm overlooking some document somewhere, but I fear it's gone.

DJ11DLN

Yup, I looked and looked on my external, all my stuff is there, even my old win500 files...but no password. I'll keep looking in case I'm overlooking some document somewhere, but I fear it's gone.
One final suggestion would be to try to contact Don Starr (e-mail or PM -- he's DonS on here) and have him re-send the original e-mail. If you still have the same account, that may work. Seems like someone on here lost their key but had the same e-mail account and they said he just re-sent it. But that's been awhile and it was fairly soon after the original e-mail was sent so it may not work.

Beyond that, other than re-buying it, I got nuthin.' Good luck anyway.

mrova

One final suggestion would be to try to contact Don Starr (e-mail or PM -- he's DonS on here) and have him re-send the original e-mail. If you still have the same account, that may work. Seems like someone on here lost their key but had the same e-mail account and they said he just re-sent it. But that's been awhile and it was fairly soon after the original e-mail was sent so it may not work.

Beyond that, other than re-buying it, I got nuthin.' Good luck anyway.

Thanks, hadn't thought of that but might be a way to go. I did send him an email through the software link but have not gotten a response. And, might be way too long as I bought it back in 2008 I think it was. But thank for the suggestion, I've got about 25 more days to look deeper into my external harddrive.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WIN*** Keys

I use all the WIN*** versions. I save all my emails (just like other files) and have had no problems moving to new hardware. If you didn't save your key, do you think all this is worth it? Why not just buy another for what $30? And save it this time. My $0.02.

mrova

...If you didn't save your key, do you think all this is worth it? Why not just buy another for what $30? And save it this time. My $0.02.

I'm thinking that somewhere on my external hard drive, I'd saved all my important emails, such as this one...still some looking to do. Is it worth it? Heck yeah! Since a job change two years ago where my income was cut by just over half, 30 bucks is pretty important anymore. If I don't come across the email, or the key buried somewhere in my files, I'll likely suck it up and go ahead and pay for it again, and yes, definitely will print and save that key, for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.