Fdny Fireground Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salmatt30

Premium Subscriber
So I am looking for a way to be able to listen to the fireground from a distance. I heard that the fdny used only a 2W Range from the scene on there radios and unless you are within that range you can’t hear much but I’m looking for a way to get through that and listen to it from a long range without a problem? Like is there a certain radio or certain antenna??? Need help

Sweetbritches

Increase portable range

Get your antenna high. The higher up you are the further you can hear and communicate. Our Motorola

portables running 2 watts on 154.600 Mhz band can talk back to an antenna on a 70 foot silo from 5 miles

away.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
A higher antenna will help, with loss coax, etc. but physics is still physics. In the urban canyons, range is a lot less than in farm land.

Larger incidents repeat fire ground traffic onto the DoITT trunked system and can be heard over the City and further. . But only some incidents.

Salmatt30

Premium Subscriber
Welp I bought a UT-308UV SMA VHF/UHF would that work?? It maxs out at 80W and I live in Staten Island so cut it down like 30 or something like that?

Salmatt30

Premium Subscriber
What I meant is in a open field I would get max of 80W so with buildings and houses in the way it would cut down like 30 so 80-30 I guess not 100%

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
If it "maxes out at 80W", that means you can apply up to 80 Watts of transmit power into the antenna for (legally) transmitting. It basically has nothing to do with receiving or range.

That aside...that antenna will probably work better (receive more) than just the rubber duckie on your scanner. Especially if you get it outside, up higher, etc. But it won't be a magic change that receives portables all of the city or such.

Salmatt30

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to increase the range so I can receive from a far range?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to increase the range so I can receive from a far range?

Never going to find a good solution, I can barely hear the truck outside the building. Been to boxes where I used my cell phone to call a member because radio didn't work.

And the watts means nothing, that's for transmitting.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget the DoITT UHF system rebrodcast (TG 4560 Division 8). You won't hear it for every run but at major incidents you will.

Danny37

I don't think you have a clear understanding of how simplex radio operations work. The amount of watts you have has nothing to do with how far you can receive, as other members stated that's only for transmitting.

As far as receiving fireground, I used to live on the northern tip of Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Sandwiched between lower Manhattan and south western queens. On good days I used to be able to receive fireground communications from both boroughs with a UHF 35 inch magnet mount antenna placed on a cookie sheet. I also used a UHF radio to receive, because radios always recieve better than scanners no doubt. I would find the highest spot in your home or apartment and improvise a solution for an antenna if you can get it outside, even better.

Danny37

Also as others have mentioned, big incidents get rebroadcasted on the NYC DoITT trunking system so invest in a trunking scanner, I use a RadioShack pro-163 and you can get it for about $50-$60 on eBay used. Not a bad scanner at all, only downside is that it doesn't do the 6.25 channel step without a firmware upgrade so monitoring FDNY dispatch and EMS is a pain unless you upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.