• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOTOTRBO Firmware Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

able247

Lately I've been getting back into working with radios at my fire station. We officially use XTS1500s and APX4000s but we have a hodgepodge of non-P25 stuff guys have brought in privately.
I'm looking to Restore a couple MOTOTRBO radios and am currently in need of firmware 1.09.10 but I'm sure I'll need others. I just recently got my MOL account back. Is it possible to find any older firmware on there?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I don't think so, no. Do you need 1.09.10 mobile or portable? Why not just upgrade to most recent?

able247

Damn, that's what I figured. We have a very old computer running CPS 7.6 but I can't find the associated firmware. I'm tempted, but it's not really worth resubscribing to get the latest and greatest when these are just personal radios guys have me program for them, not our department radios.
We have much newer, if not the latest, software for our department radios; but they're not TRBO.

able247

That's what I've heard. I may end up resubscribing for myself. Considering it. But right now I'm just tinkering with this stuff for a couple of the guys.
Sorry I missed the question, am I looking for mobile or portable? I'm looking for portable. But please correct me if I'm wrong, I am pretty new to DMR. MOTOTRBO CPS works for mobile and portables, correct? And the associated firmware doesn't specify mobile or portable, so I "assumed" it was the same. Looking around on this old machine I did find firmware 1.08.00 but we do not have the associated CPS version. This machine was updated to 7.6 before the subscription expired.

able247

Ok, thank you. I've never personally messed with firmware. When I last programmed a radio it was my HT750 4 channel, non display using dos and Windows 95. Digging through all of the folders on this machine I found firmware 1.08.00.zip. so I "assumed" firmware was firmware.
One more question if I may. I'm getting closer to just biting the bullet and buying the online version of cps 15 to save a little money. I did find reference to CPS 14 having firmware 2.xx. I thought my XPR6550 was a gen one radio and couldn't use firmware 2.xx. Am I wrong?
What CPS are the up to now anyway, 15?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Correct, XPR6550s and all first generation TRBO radios can only use 1.X firmware but the current/last release for them is 1.12.17. The current version of CPS is 15.5 Build 797 and can be used to update/program all of the first gen radios plus the 2.0 radios. Current firmware for them is R2.8.5.

able247

OK, so if I'm understanding you correctly.
One CPS version usually works with one firmware. Like CPS 7.6 and 1.09.10.
The latest firmware for Gen 1 radios is 1.12.17, probably matched with CPS in the early teens.
The latest CPS is 15.5 and it comes with 2.8.5 for Gen 2 radios but it still works with 1.12.17 for Gen1.

Thanks again for all the assistance. Didn't really care to spend $300 for some non department "fun" radios but the online version is way cheaper (thanks to info I found on here). And it would save a lot of problems.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Not exactly. The software is backwards compatible but not forward compatible. You can program radios with really old firmware, current, or anything in between using the latest CPS. Once a radio is written to with a certain level, you can only write with that version or newer, can't go back.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
OK, so if I'm understanding you correctly.
One CPS version usually works with one firmware. Like CPS 7.6 and 1.09.10.
The latest firmware for Gen 1 radios is 1.12.17, probably matched with CPS in the early teens.
The latest CPS is 15.5 and it comes with 2.8.5 for Gen 2 radios but it still works with 1.12.17 for Gen1.

Thanks again for all the assistance. Didn't really care to spend $300 for some non department "fun" radios but the online version is way cheaper (thanks to info I found on here). And it would save a lot of problems.

The current CPS subscription (without disks) is approximately $180 for 3 years. One issue you may run into though, the current CPS revisions may not support older firmware (this was a big problem when performing the MTR2000 to MTR3000 upgrades).

able247

I'm sorry, could have phrased that better.

"The latest CPS is 15.5 and it comes with 2.8.5 for Gen 2 radios but it still works with 1.12.17 for Gen1."

Even though firmware 1.12.17 probably came out with CPS 11 or 12, I can still use CPS 15.5 to write it?

Otherwise that's the problem I have now. I have CPS 7.6 (firmware 1.09.10) but only have firmware 1.08.00 (CPS 6.5). It seems I can program radios fine, but I can not write any firmware other than 1.09.10 using my CPS 7.6.

able247

Thanks again for all the help guys.
If I could ask one more question, or rephrase my last one.

MOTOTRBO CPS 15.5 comes with firmware 2.8.5. Does it also come with 1.12.17 for my Gen 1 radios?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Having a current subscription to CPS gives you access to whatever firmware is currently available on MOL, which includes 2.8.5 and 1.12.17. It doesn't come with the firmware, per se, but you can get it and install that firmware.

able247

Well I guess I have you guys to blame/thank.
I was just looking for a source for older firmware, that's all. The I realized how many problem re-upping my subscription would solve so I bought the latest CPS download. That would have been good enough but then all this talk about gen1 vs gen2 radios I started looking at the XPR7550. So I ended up selling two 6550s and buying one 7550. I love it. I love having more than 16 channels in a zone.
And now it turns out my fire station is slowly upgrading from the XTS1500 to APX4000s. So the same accessories and chargers work.
Thanks guys.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
MOL has been "bumping" the 1.12.17 1st Gen firmware, to keep it from falling off of the download list...it would indicate it will probably be the final firmware revision for the old series radios.

Paul

N4KVE

MOL has been "bumping" the 1.12.17 1st Gen firmware, to keep it from falling off of the download list...it would indicate it will probably be the final firmware revision for the old series radios.

Paul
It was the final FW update for Gen 1 radios. Works fine with the newest CPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.