Future of OKC radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Just looking around, trying to figure out what OKC has planned. I know the EDACS system is at or near end of life, but I haven't seen anything on here about what's next. I ran across a RFP from over a year ago for a P25 Phase 2 system from OKC government, but haven't been able to find any further details.

Has anyone else seen/heard anything on their plans?

Jeff.

Patio_RF

Oklahoma City P25 Upgrade

Just looking around, trying to figure out what OKC has planned. I know the EDACS system is at or near end of life, but I haven't seen anything on here about what's next. I ran across a RFP from over a year ago for a P25 Phase 2 system from OKC government, but haven't been able to find any further details.

Has anyone else seen/heard anything on their plans?

Jeff.

YES, there has been significant activity in regards to that original RFP.

On Mar 28, 2017 the OKC City Council passed (9-0) a "Joint System Purchase Agreement with Harris Corporation, P25 Phase II 800 MHz Trunked Simulcast Radio System and Microwave Network, not to exceed $13,114,808.20."

Upon clicking on this simple line item in the City Council minutes there are over 12 exhibits of the contract with Harris that includes: a full system overview, interoperability using the VIDA Core, full color coverage maps, site selection, microwave network, and an equipment list describing a "Thirteen (13) site 20-Channel P25 Simulcast System."

The schedule in exhibit 4 indicates the total overall project should take 598 days but that includes the decommissioning of the legacy system. The project should be wrapping up the "Customer Design Review" and starting the manufacturing process. Actual "User Migration" should be about two years away.

This detailed info and the color maps can be found at the following City of Oklahoma City website:
https://agenda.okc.gov/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=4155&doctype=MINUTES

Look for agenda item OCMFA C-2 and click on the link for the supporting documents.

Also: TUSA Consulting in Louisiana had their contract extended into 2018 for implementing and monitoring the city's P25 upgrade. (from the 12/5/2017 minutes)

movinon

Premium Subscriber
YES, there has been significant activity in regards to that original RFP.

On Mar 28, 2017 the OKC City Council passed (9-0) a "Joint System Purchase Agreement with Harris Corporation, P25 Phase II 800 MHz Trunked Simulcast Radio System and Microwave Network, not to exceed $13,114,808.20."

Upon clicking on this simple line item in the City Council minutes there are over 12 exhibits of the contract with Harris that includes: a full system overview, interoperability using the VIDA Core, full color coverage maps, site selection, microwave network, and an equipment list describing a "Thirteen (13) site 20-Channel P25 Simulcast System."

The schedule in exhibit 4 indicates the total overall project should take 598 days but that includes the decommissioning of the legacy system. The project should be wrapping up the "Customer Design Review" and starting the manufacturing process. Actual "User Migration" should be about two years away.

This detailed info and the color maps can be found at the following City of Oklahoma City website:
https://agenda.okc.gov/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=4155&doctype=MINUTES

Look for agenda item OCMFA C-2 and click on the link for the supporting documents.

Also: TUSA Consulting in Louisiana had their contract extended into 2018 for implementing and monitoring the city's P25 upgrade. (from the 12/5/2017 minutes)
I haven't had my 536hp very long so I am wondering will it receive this new system? Will the new system still use provoice?
Thanks..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

movinon

Premium Subscriber
The new system will be P25 phase 2. Your scanner will receive it but may have simulcast distortion problems and not receive it well depending on your location.

No. Only EDACS systems have ProVoice.
Thanks.
I receive Okc good now in Edmond so hopefully I can get the new one as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lets hope they do not encrypt.

I also didnt see portable radios listed on the equipment list. I wonder if they will be keeping their existing radios.

Last edited:

nd5y

It looks like they added 20 new frequencies.
P25 control channels will probably show up on these first but I could be wrong. They could resuse some of the existing EDACS frequencies first.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
P25 control channels will probably show up on these first but I could be wrong. They could resuse some of the existing EDACS frequencies first.

Going to make a WAG and say that they will stand up the new system on these pairs first, migrate everyone to the new system, then either abandon the old pairs or integrate them into the new system.

Guess we need to start listening to them. :)

nd5y

Going to make a WAG and say that they will stand up the new system on these pairs first, migrate everyone to the new system, then either abandon the old pairs or integrate them into the new system.
That's what they did here in 2016. Wichita Falls had a 5 channel EDACS PV simulcast system. They got 3 new channels licensed about a week after the new P25 control channel went on the air. After several months they gradually moved 2 channels from the EDACS to the P25 system then finally shut down the EDACS system leaving the remaining 3 channels dead for about a year now. I thought maybe they would add them but so far they haven't, unless they are reserved for telephone interconnect or some other use or reason.

Some other things to bee on the lookout for:
Here they use the existing EDACS decimal talkgroups with extra numbers added to the beginning. 3 digit TGIDs got a 10 and 4 digit TGIDs got a 1.
For example EDACS 791 became P25 10791 and EDACS 1041 became P25 11041. They were patched between both systems for several months.

The first radio IDs used for system acceptance testing were 99800xx range.
The first talkgroups were 6400x, 6405x, 6410x, 6415x ranges (only a few TGIDs in each range).
After a few months I never saw those RIDs or TGIDs again.

I don't remember who the vendor is in OKC. This might be the standard Harris way of doing things. There have been other posts of similar things in other states including a county document with Harris documentation that listed the RIDs and TGIDs for acceptance testing.

nd5y

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Glad things are moving along. I just hope we can get these added to our APX 7000's at work.

peterjmag

This is all good news. Like it's been stated I hope they don't get crazy with the encryption. Seems to be the norm for many nowadays.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
A little surprised, given our propensity for let's call them "wind storms", that they chose microwave over fiber. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Turner101

Premium Subscriber

Apparently the new P25 system will re-use 11 frequencies from the EDACS system

Also the schedule seems a bit confusing to me as far as months/year goes. They have it listed as quarters. Does anyone know where at on the schedule were currently in, or should be in assuming there were no delays?

Last edited:

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
This system appears to be somewhat active and is currently being tested. I am hearing bits and parts of a male voice. I have all the data recorded and will take a look at it later today and report back. If anyone has this system in their scanner might want to start listening.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
TGID 324
UID 500951
UID 500941
UID 9989120

A lot of test counts, I’m only searching tgid’s so not sure what cc they were using.

Status
Not open for further replies.