Icom: Bag for Icom 7200

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
I have the Icom 7200 as my base station. I would like to take ir portable and so I am looking for recommendations for bags or cases for this purpose. I think I would prefer some type of backpack.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I was just looking for something similar yesterday for an 897D and came across this site - https://portablezerostore.ecwid.com/#!/Radio-Packs/c/15739359/offset=0&sort=normal

Looks like they have two bags that would work for the 7200. PZ-AP and PZ-GP. Both are under $60 and the PZ-AP in particular has a photograph with a 7200 sitting inside the main compartment. With the other compartments it looks like it could handle coax, battery, a microphone and the typical additional paraphernalia one takes when portable. Hmm...it could fit my Buddipole mini in the second pocket and it may have room for the folding pole. I do not believe it would fit my Chameleon F-Loop in there though. Perhaps it could if I put the loop in the main compartment and the 817 in the smaller one leaving the secondary for extras.

I also like the way the PZ-AP zips down the sides to open things up for easy access to the gear. I will order that one myself. There may be others for less and better suited for the 7200. I just happened across that site yesterday.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I ordered the PZ-AP yesterday. I will follow up here with a review after arrival.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Portable zero PZ-AP bag

Here is an update with the PZ-AP bag for some Yaesu radios. I attached some photographs. We will see if they appear.

These are just some examples to give whomever an idea if their gear would work with this bag or not. The stitching is pretty good and it wears well. It has chest and hip straps that help toward that effort. Those additional straps are very nice when hiking about and handling the weight. One could easily store the 817, an external battery, and a loop antenna. There is also room for at least two water bottles and a sandwich. I could also fit a tablet PC and a SignaLink to enjoy some PSK31, or just use the PC's sound card.

I have a hard case for the 897D, but one needs additional room to unpack/pack it. With the backpack it is ready to go with a quick zip. It also leaves my hands free if I need to carry something else. It works fine in either a vertical or horizontal configuration.

817ND Config:
- 817ND in front pocket
- Mini Buddipole in middle (Mini Buddi could go in the larger pocket and it would also fit the folding mast)
- Loop antenna can be stored in the larger pocket
(I would take just one antenna to allow room for other stuff)

857D Config:
- 857D in middle pocket +SLA or whatever battery flavor you like could also fit in this pocket.
- Mini Buddipole +folding mast -or- Loop antenna in larger pocket
- Front small pocket could fit antenna tuner, but that could also fit in middle pocket.

897D Config:
- 897D in the larger portion - This includes the tuner mounted to the side
- Mini Buddipole in the middle
- 897 Power and extras
(There is plenty of room at the bottom of the larger pocket. I am using a spacer so that the coax, power, and other cables can be plugged in and not put undue stress on them when the bag is vertical. This leaves room at the top, but I fold over a top flap for better access to the radio face.

Either configuration also has room for:
- Microphone in top pouch
- Various external battery configurations as needed
- Coax - I just coil 25' and lash/hang on the outside from the top back with a strap or carabiner
- Room for 8" x 11" log books, guides, tablet PC, etc.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 181
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 167
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 161
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg