"Brother Stair" Arrested-again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Normally I wouldn't comment , BUT all I can say is it's about time (and it's not the first time). I have been listening to SW broadcast band's since the early 70's (I was 7 when I started, thanks dad), I listened and watched them become the sad state they are now. Sure , they are still a few gems you can find every now and then, but they are few and far between.

Brother "Scare" has been "preaching" his BS for a long time------I even listened too him sometime's (for the entertainment value). Too me , he is nothing but a con-artist. For the last several years I have tried to figure out just where all his money had come from lately, he would be on 5-10 freq. all day ,everyday. How he got so much cash (I realize how he got some----swindling people), I have no clue.The loss of revenue is certainly going to hurt some of these stations , IF the Overcomer Ministries do not keep going.

If what he is charged with is true (those allegations have always followed him), maybe he will finally just go away, for good. Too me personally , he is nothing but a cult leader using "God" as an excuse to get what he want's. I hope I have not offended anyone, that was not my intent. Mike

markclark

Premium Subscriber
I didn't hear B.S. last night on any band. Did any other members hear his broadcasts last nigh?

Haley

I didn't hear B.S. last night on any band. Did any other members hear his broadcasts last nigh?

I didn't have much of chance to check last night. But here in Iowa he is loud and clear yesterday, and today on 9980. That was the only place I heard him. Normally I can find him at ANY time of the day on 5-10 freq. from my location, just using portable receivers (Tecsun 380, 880, even my Uniden 330t) I can tell by his voice he is much younger on the broadcast's I heard , so it's not new or live. Mike

ridgescan

I didn't have much of chance to check last night. But here in Iowa he is loud and clear yesterday, and today on 9980. That was the only place I heard him. Normally I can find him at ANY time of the day on 5-10 freq. from my location, just using portable receivers (Tecsun 380, 880, even my Uniden 330t) I can tell by his voice he is much younger on the broadcast's I heard , so it's not new or live. Mike
No but in their desperation to play anything to fill time, that evening I posted this, I heard them playing his reruns from when he was a younger offender.

ridgescan

Doing my usual tuning around this AM I happened upon WWCR on 9980kHz at 1600UTC as a bot voice came on and stated "Due to 'legal difficulties'-as of Jan. 1st, the Overcomer Ministries will no longer be broadcast on AM, FM, and SW frequencies, but will still be podcast and on the net."
I wonder if they have other programming planned for all that vast airtime, or if they're just going to shut down the transmitters. The old man was almost 24/7.

ridgescan

Interesting article about this nutjob's commune by a former member:

Josh Bennett's Personal Testimony About Brother Stair
Good catch Bill. I read it. All I can say is this guy is a yoyo for even considering dropping his life and surrendering to a commune. And dragging his poor family into it.

If hes been Busted that probably all you going to hear of this nut head is reruns......
Based upon that recording I heard this morning I don't think they'll dare to play even his reruns anymore.

Boombox

I hope a lot of SWL's like hearing static on the huge swaths of the SWBC bands on their radios and expensive receivers, because whether you liked him or not, Stair was keeping some of the US SW stations in business, by buying up so much airtime.

And if those stations go off the air, there won't be any other stations on the air to take their place.

And with propagation destined to be poor for another 11 years or so (from what I've heard), DX won't fill the void in much of North America, unless you have a rhombic in your back yard.

Boombox

Good catch Bill. I read it. All I can say is this guy is a yoyo for even considering dropping his life and surrendering to a commune. And dragging his poor family into it.

In fairness to the 'yoyo', it seems he was raised as a child to believe in that kind of stuff, and Brother Stair's teachings just fed into the mindset already ingrained into him by his parents.

Enlightening story, nonetheless.

I read elsewhere that people coming into Stair's commune sold houses, assets, etc., and donated the proceeds to the ministry, and that provided for some of the money used in the broadcast ministry. I think others nationwide donated to the ministry as well (but don't quote me on that). I remember hearing telephone messages replayed on Stair's broadcasts, presumably from followers in other parts of the country. I would guess that at least some of them sent money to the ministry.

ridgescan

I hope a lot of SWL's like hearing static on the huge swaths of the SWBC bands on their radios and expensive receivers, because whether you liked him or not, Stair was keeping some of the US SW stations in business, by buying up so much airtime.

And if those stations go off the air, there won't be any other stations on the air to take their place.

And with propagation destined to be poor for another 11 years or so (from what I've heard), DX won't fill the void in much of North America, unless you have a rhombic in your back yard.
To be honest I heard his BCs as just more static of a different kind anyway. Never held on any frequency he was on except to check prop.

Boombox

To be honest I heard his BCs as just more static of a different kind anyway. Never held on any frequency he was on except to check prop.

True -- I only listened at times out of curiosity while reading or something.... Evenso, the stations Stair used also had other programs. Some of those stations may be hard pressed to stay on the air after this.

For example, a perusal of Brother Stair's old frequency schedule (available via Google cached page) shows that WWRB just got over one third of its airtime freed. That's a lot of money to try to make up.

Other stations seem to have various blocks of 1-3 hours or so, perhaps they will do better.

Haley

Doing my usual tuning around this AM I happened upon WWCR on 9980kHz at 1600UTC as a bot voice came on and stated "Due to 'legal difficulties'-as of Jan. 1st, the Overcomer Ministries will no longer be broadcast on AM, FM, and SW frequencies, but will still be podcast and on the net."
I wonder if they have other programming planned for all that vast airtime, or if they're just going to shut down the transmitters. The old man was almost 24/7.

Same on their website----sound's like the Overcomer Ministries might really be in trouble this time. Or at least Brother Stair.

I really wish somebody would bring back some more programs like Dr. Stan Monteith, or things along those lines. I didn't always agree with everything, but I least he made you think. I can't remember the name of it, but their used to be a decent science based program on Tuesday nights, can't recall if it was WWCR or WBCQ.

For those that don't know who Dr. Stan was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Monteith

Last edited:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone remember "Seeds from the sower" I think it was back in the 80's?

Haley

Does anyone remember "Seeds from the sower" I think it was back in the 80's?

He had the short sermons on SW, right? I would say, I believe he was a minister from S.C. or maybe Georgia? On the other hand------that is probably 90% of the U.S. religious based broadcasters!

txz045

I too hope this opens up the air-waves to some other folks and brings back some older shows and broadcasters.

bob550

Premium Subscriber

Thanks anyway, but I'll enjoy the static! Anyhow, listening to Stair, even for a short time, was like scraping a cheese grater over rocks.

Boombox

Thanks anyway, but I'll enjoy the static! Anyhow, listening to Stair, even for a short time, was like scraping a cheese grater over rocks.

LOL

I enjoy static half the time I tune across the SW bands. It's a good thing I have so many SW radios to hear it with! :)

If it weren't for the Chinese jamming broadcasts with CNR-1 at night and early morning the lower bands would even be mostly static.

I did hear CRI in Russian this AM. That was cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.