LVMPD Encryption Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG7PBS

Yes I know him I won’t say how I do, or what he does but know this he has been Right every time someone has gone Encrypted.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
I've talked to a couple people in the know over the last 48 hours, the rumor appears to be true. The decision to encrypt apparently has to do with scanner apps on phones, no additional details were given. Metro is telling local media outlets to bring in commercial radios with AES encryption modules for programming. One media outlet called me a few minutes ago because they only have scanners, so now I'm putting together a shopping list.

Last edited:

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I've talked to a couple people in the know over the last 48 hours, the rumor appears to be true. The decision to encrypt apparently has to do with scanner apps on phones, no additional details were given. Metro is telling local media outlets to bring in commercial radios with AES encryption modules for programming. One media outlet called me a few minutes ago because they only have scanners, so now I'm putting together a shopping list.

I'm not sure what encryption they can handle, but the Unication G4 or G5 pagers should work. Check with them.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
The Unification pagers are not encryption capable. Besides that, Metro is doing the programming and I guess they have a contract with Motorola, they recommended the APX-4000/4500. So I guess the news outlets are limited to that series.

I'm not sure what encryption they can handle, but the Unication G4 or G5 pagers should work. Check with them.

SuperUser

Curious, What kind of radio are you looking at to buy, for metro to program?

allend

Premium Subscriber

The shooting incident pushed this whole encryption idea to the edge of the cliff and it looks like its a done deal now. If there was no shooting then we would not be having this discussion. This has nothing to do with scanner audio feeds.

If it was scanner audio app feed issue then when they rolled out of the gate a few years ago with their new Phase II system fully encrypted. All it takes now is big incident and then they lock things down.

Of course no other additional details were given. Its pretty crazy how there is no say so in these matters anymore. The people of the community have no decision making now or ever.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
The Unification pagers are not encryption capable. Besides that, Metro is doing the programming and I guess they have a contract with Motorola, they recommended the APX-4000/4500. So I guess the news outlets are limited to that series.

The Unication pagers ARE encryption capable for AES . Talk to Unication David.
Of course you would still need the actual key. I don't know if Metro wants to support them or not. And if Metro will use AES or just ADP.

SuperUser

The shooting incident pushed this whole encryption idea to the edge of the cliff and it looks like its a done deal now. If there was no shooting then we would not be having this discussion. This has nothing to do with scanner audio feeds.

If it was scanner audio app feed issue then when they rolled out of the gate a few years ago with their new Phase II system fully encrypted. All it takes now is big incident and then they lock things down.

Of course no other additional details were given. Its pretty crazy how there is no say so in these matters anymore. The people of the community have no decision making now or ever.

Thats not even close to true.
Your telling me in 2 months , a government agency, they collectevly made agreements, put aside the millions to purchase hardware and software to go AES, updated their entire fleet of radios? On a whim?

Im sorry but October first wasnt the deciding factor, it was long before that.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
There's no mention of encryption support on their site.
Metro uses AES.
Do the pagers support P25II?
Metro has no plans to support Unification pagers... that I know of.

The Unication pagers ARE encryption capable for AES . Talk to Unication David.
Of course you would still need the actual key. I don't know if Metro wants to support them or not. And if Metro will use AES or just ADP.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
The Unication supports AES, and it's been discussed over on the Unication forum. There is a keyloading program they can send you.
Phase 2 is coming soon, it's in beta right now.

But of course If Metro won't load them, it makes no difference.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Your telling me in 2 months , a government agency, they collectevly made agreements, put aside the millions to purchase hardware and software to go AES, updated their entire fleet of radios? On a whim?

The infrastructure to support encryption on the system has been in place since day 1. Many (most) of LVMPD's talkgroups are already encrypted w/ AES.

Please pay attention.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
If you look at their radio system in the database you'll see roughly 90% of it is encrypted. So I'm certain all of their radios are already equipped with AES. Its just a matter of flipping the switch and testing each radio individually to make sure they can talk to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.