stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmi8dy

for years i listened to 2m ham. now i do not hear a thing. one of my friends said that most if not all 2m ham has moved to dmr. so, if that is the case, where do you find the proper cc, slot, tg for a specific frequencey or channel ?

D

DaveNF2G

"Most if not all" of ham radio has not jumped to DMR or any other mode. It's just as much a routinely parroted wrong assumption as "all law enforcement is going encrypted."

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I think your friend is mistaken. DMR is but a small segment of the 2m traffic right now. There may not be as much 2m traffic as there used to be but I believe analog still makes up the majority of the traffic.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
for years i listened to 2m ham. now i do not hear a thing. one of my friends said that most if not all 2m ham has moved to dmr. so, if that is the case, where do you find the proper cc, slot, tg for a specific frequencey or channel ?

As a resource take a look at repeaterbook.com. It is location based with filters to limit what you are looking for.

Available for smartphones too.

Mike

eaf1956

Feed Provider

Here in Evansville, we have Analog, C4FM (Fusion), and DMR repeaters. Most of the HAMS hang out on the club analog repeater.

Golay

Scan the band

Are you searching the 2M band and not hearing anything? If you're friend is right, and the hams near you have all gone digital (and I highly doubt that's happened), your radio is going to stop on the digital signals. Is that happening? I think if you used to hear 2M, and now you don't, something's happened to your radio, feed line or antenna. Can you hear the weather?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
That looks like a total joke in my area. I don't know where they got thier data from but it's full of obsolete repeaters that haven't been on the air in years.

My area, too. Waaaay out of date.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Repeaterbook is also sorely out of date. In Alabama, for instance, I-85 is not listed with the other interstate routes.

I-65 runs the length of the state from Mobile to the Tennessee state line, going through both Montgomery and Birmingham. The only repeaters listed for that interstate are in the Mobile area. It's interesting to note that the administrator for the Alabama information lives in the Mobile area.

nd5y

Try a reputable site with more updated info.
Repeaterbook sucks only slightly less. I don't think I have seen an online repeater database that was any good for my area. Some of the frequency coodinators might have better online databases (Texas doesn't).

k6cpo

Your friend is grossly misinformed. D-Star, DMR and Fusion are just a very small segment of the VHF/UHF activity. Most of the ham community is still on analog, especially the new hams that have purchased the inexpensive Chinese radios.

My club has two Yaesu System Fusion repeaters, one on two meters and the other on 70cm. A number of our members have fusion radios, yet all the traffic on our repeater is analog.

lmrtek

No they havn't moved to DMR the very small percentage of DMR repeaters are also dead

There are simply more repeaters than there are users.

It became an ego thing to have your own repeater so every CBer and appliance operator put a repeater on the air so in most areas there are dozens of repeaters that just set idle 90% of the time.

30 years ago, 2 meter nets would have 80 or 90 check ins but today many are lucky to get 2 or 3.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
No they havn't moved to DMR the very small percentage of DMR repeaters are also dead

There are simply more repeaters than there are users.

It became an ego thing to have your own repeater so every CBer and appliance operator put a repeater on the air so in most areas there are dozens of repeaters that just set idle 90% of the time.

30 years ago, 2 meter nets would have 80 or 90 check ins but today many are lucky to get 2 or 3.

CB repeater??

WA8ZTZ

Are you searching the 2M band and not hearing anything? If you're friend is right, and the hams near you have all gone digital (and I highly doubt that's happened), your radio is going to stop on the digital signals. Is that happening? I think if you used to hear 2M, and now you don't, something's happened to your radio, feed line or antenna. Can you hear the weather?

^^^ this

uli2000

Premium Subscriber
Repeaterbook sucks only slightly less. I don't think I have seen an online repeater database that was any good for my area. Some of the frequency coodinators might have better online databases (Texas doesn't).

Repeaterbook, RFinder, and pretty much every other repeater listing site I've ever used depend on data not just from coordnating bodies but users. I can't speak for every repeater coordnator, but the two that cover my state are way out of date on their listing. Best thing you can do is provide reports. I've never done it with RFinder, but for repeaterbook, get registered and then you can submit info for repeaters, like if it doesnt exist anymore, if there's something changed like PLs, or if its a new repeater they don't have listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.