Close Call-Lock it OFF on 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
My apologies if this has already been covered. It seems that Close Call is coming on on my 996XT from time to time. I could swear I'm not pushing in on the buttons that activate it. Is there a way to lock it off once and for all? I have no need/use for this. Thanx All.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Does that lock it off or just turn it off for now?
I think that's what I've been doing as I hear the audio drop-out every two seconds which makes me look at the screen noticing that the Close Call target icon once again showing.
Thanx

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I think that's what I've been doing as I hear the audio drop-out every two seconds which makes me look at the screen noticing that the Close Call target icon once again showing.
Thanx

Turns it off until you press it again.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Sigh, yeah, that's what I thought. Funny thing is, I don't really touch the knobs for days at a time. When it gets cycled on/off it is via the switch on a powerstrip. How it finds it's way to "on" without being touched is a puzzle. Figured if there was a setting somewhere to disable it all the better. I'm sure it is a great tool but I just don't look for mystery stuff.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanx

If audio is dropping out regularly, check for any other priorities that are turned on. Close call can't turn itself on... maybe an accidental push on the squelch knob?

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Sigh, yeah, that's what I thought. Funny thing is, I don't really touch the knobs for days at a time. When it gets cycled on/off it is via the switch on a powerstrip. How it finds it's way to "on" without being touched is a puzzle. Figured if there was a setting somewhere to disable it all the better. I'm sure it is a great tool but I just don't look for mystery stuff.

I believe that's your issue. For the "CC off" to stay you have to power the radio off by the on/of knob, not by killing external power.

You are probably accidentally turning it on, then you turn it off and externally kill the power.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Well there's your problem.

You probably shouldn't do that with any other computers in your home either...

No, that's not the problem. Turning it on/off like that is what occurs when they are mobile mounted, no one gets in the car and turns the on/off switch as they enter/exit the car each time.
And no, other computers are not dealt with that way.
BTW, I'm a computer systems guy, so ah yeah.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I believe that's your issue. For the "CC off" to stay you have to power the radio off by the on/of knob, not by killing external power.

You are probably accidentally turning it on, then you turn it off and externally kill the power.
As mentioned, I don't use the knob to turn the radio on/off.
Why would the default be to have CC on as it powers up?
I don't think the case as this seems to happen but once out of 10
start ups. It indeed has me scratching my head, but, on the bright side,
now I know what it is and how to turn it off.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
If audio is dropping out regularly, check for any other priorities that are turned on. Close call can't turn itself on... maybe an accidental push on the squelch knob?

The best I can guess is as you said, an accidental push, but,
I rarely go near the buttons so I'm scratching my head. On the bright side, at least I now know what it is and how to easily turn that rascal off.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Some settings are not saved when you do an "ungraceful" shutdown (i.e. yank power instead of using the power/volume control). I don't recall if Close Call is one of those settings, and am not where I can easily find that info. In any case, it doesn't hurt to:

Turn off Close Call. Then, turn off the scanner using the knob. Then turn it back on. This will allow the scanner to save the state of all settings so that it will power up into the desired state from power cut/reconnect.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Some settings are not saved when you do an "ungraceful" shutdown (i.e. yank power instead of using the power/volume control). I don't recall if Close Call is one of those settings, and am not where I can easily find that info. In any case, it doesn't hurt to:

Turn off Close Call. Then, turn off the scanner using the knob. Then turn it back on. This will allow the scanner to save the state of all settings so that it will power up into the desired state from power cut/reconnect.
As you mention, I'll go the route of ensuring CC is off and turning it off via the knob hoping that somehow "burns" that into memory. Hopefully after that that preference will remain. What I do really isn't different then probably how 99+% of the vehicle mounted units are used. I doubt near anyone turns those on/off via the knob, they come on when accessory and/or the engine is on. Thanx

TGP

Premium Subscriber
We have over a dozen 996 t,xt's and all are powered off and on with the vehicle ignition.
No problems.
I wouldn't expect the 536 to do that very well.

Anyway only time with CC issue is bumping the knob.
So I went into the menu CC particularly and turned off every thing I could find.
Main CC control off, Bands off, CC scroll Off.
Seems to work,have not had any more problems with it.

Tom

troymail

Silent Key
Uniden radios seem to lose lots of "in memory only" settings if/when the radio is not shut down "properly". I see this alot on the x36 radios when the radios reboot on their own....

The only way to solve it is to get the radio to the settings you want and then perform a "normal" power down and power back up. This won't save everything (i.e. temporary lockouts, etc.) or help with changes you make going forward but at least it can get you to a "base" configuration on startup. I had to do this - primarily because the radio likes to reboot itself in the middle of the night and it always seems to have the volume set to high when it reboots (because that's what it last stored on the last normal power cycle).

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Thanx Troy. On the temp lockouts, they are only designed to stay locked out until the radio powers off/on. A quick double push of that button will keep that item locked out.

Ubbe

And remember that permanent lockouts are one of the items that are stored on the SD card and can be edited in the profile tab of Sentinel.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.