Cop Block founder arrested - interference with radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
This guy is a whacktard, that being said, their evidence is questionable. Unless they can actually prove he was making the transmissions (audio recordings alone won't always guarantee this), than it's a weak case.

Cherokee uses a VHF conventional system that any Baoturd can access thanks to readily available data. So he could easily assert someone else made the transmissions.

This case involved a "traffic stop", assault, and the use of an unauthorized trunking radio with a cloned ID. Charges on the indictment included theft of services. He got first offender and all the theft charges were dropped, only the assault charge (misdemeanor). So Cherokee potentially has an uphill battle actually proving this guy made the transmissions.

In the case above, I know for a fact the great lengths Cobb went through to produce the technical evidence (including logs from the ATIA) but in the end, you see how it worked out.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
Not the Cop Block founder, the founder of the Georgia chapter.

Regardless, I wouldn't trust a news site that, even though it often provides audio and video evidence, only gives you one side of the story (remember the "don't tase me bro" incident?)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Even if he gets off with a slap on the proverbial wrist, he'll always be watched carefully in his own town. Knowing/working with a few cops, I've rarely seen them get really mad. The one time that stands out was when a whacker like this was pulling over people locally. They came down on him pretty hard and his name/photo are well known in the area.

I'm sure he'll talk about how mistreated he was on his facebook page, though.

jparks29

John McClane
So...... How did he become a suspect, and how did they get PC for a warrant?

This stinks to high hell....

Looks like they just wanted to give this guy ****.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
MTS2000des said:
This guy is a whacktard.......
He's a blasted moron!!!

Its no wonder the FCC hates radios people modify or whatnot to talk everywhere.... BECAUSE ALOT OF PEOPLE ABUSE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Very sad :(

K7MFC

WRAA720
So...... How did he become a suspect

I'm guessing this guy has been on their whacker radar for a while now? When the interfering transmissions began, there was probably a short list of people the Sheriff's department would want to talk to right away - the suspect calls it a "vendetta."

Here's an article with a little bit more info and an interesting quote from the suspects father:
"They may have some audio stating that is Jonathan, but you actually have to prove Jonathan actually mashed that button..."

I am curious now too how exactly "investigators traced the call back to Beavers..." I'm not a lawyer, nor defending the alleged actions, but how exactly can a case be prosecuted where the defendant was in possession of legal radio equipment and there are no witnesses to the crime?

Last edited:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I am curious now too how exactly "investigators traced the call back to Beavers..." I'm not a lawyer, nor defending the alleged actions, but how exactly can a case be prosecuted where the defendant was in possession of legal radio equipment and there are no witnesses to the crime?

Run it by a jury and see how they vote.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
but how exactly can a case be prosecuted where the defendant was in possession of legal radio equipment and there are no witnesses to the crime?

Yes, legal radio equipment, however if it's programmed with Part 90 Transmit frequencies the owner is not licensed for, the FCC can bust them under 90.427:

§90.427 Precautions against unauthorized operation.
(b) Except for frequencies used in accordance with §90.417, no person shall program into a transmitter frequencies for which the licensee using the transmitter is not authorized.

I suspect this guy made himself a pretty big target, one way or another.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
If they had more time, they could have used RDF gear to pinpoint the transmissions from the particular location where they were emanating from at the time. I think that would have been better evidence than voice analysis.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
most likely RDF, but all these Copwatch idiots are always trying to goad officers to do stuff, so i wouldnt put it past him, SMH

Hans13

most likely RDF, but all these Copwatch idiots are always trying to goad officers to do stuff, so i wouldnt put it past him, SMH

Not all.

ETA: Also, CopBLOCK and CopWATCH are not necessarily the same thing. Regardless, not ALL members of either organization "always try to goad officers to do stuff." There are plenty of members who primarily document and protest.

Last edited:

Jimru

Premium Subscriber

I’m not sure any police dept is equipped to conduct an RDF search anyway. They would probably have to call in the FCC for that. Maybe some of the biggest city departments have a radio shop with that kind of expertise.

As for this “Cop Watch” group; I never heard of them until this thread!

Token

Yes, legal radio equipment, however if it's programmed with Part 90 Transmit frequencies the owner is not licensed for, the FCC can bust them under 90.427:

§90.427 Precautions against unauthorized operation.
(b) Except for frequencies used in accordance with §90.417, no person shall program into a transmitter frequencies for which the licensee using the transmitter is not authorized.

Is there any indication the FCC is involved at all yet?

Without doubt 90.427(b) says you cannot program frequencies for which you are not authorized, however has this ever been applied to a private party? Yes, for sure it has been applied to businesses and technicians doing work for hire, but I don't think I have seen a case of a private party facing such a citation unless they had sold the services of programming a radio.

Although on the surface this regulation seems cut and dried, I think possibly the interpretation of it by the FCC is not so clear.

T!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Is there any indication the FCC is involved at all yet?

Without doubt 90.427(b) says you cannot program frequencies for which you are not authorized, however has this ever been applied to a private party? Yes, for sure it has been applied to businesses and technicians doing work for hire, but I don't think I have seen a case of a private party facing such a citation unless they had sold the services of programming a radio.

Although on the surface this regulation seems cut and dried, I think possibly the interpretation of it by the FCC is not so clear.

T!

I think you are correct. And I'd never hold my breath waiting for the FCC to get involved. The only scenario I could see that happening in would be if this guy had made the cops/DA so mad that they were looking to get him on everything they could. And then only if they were aware of it.
I'd guess that they'd take his radio as "evidence", too.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I'm guessing this guy has been on their whacker radar for a while now? When the interfering transmissions began, there was probably a short list of people the Sheriff's department would want to talk to right away - the suspect calls it a "vendetta."

Here's an article with a little bit more info and an interesting quote from the suspects father:
"They may have some audio stating that is Jonathan, but you actually have to prove Jonathan actually mashed that button..."

If this were ongoing and he was on their short list of suspects, all the dispatcher would need to call his cellphone and/or house phone and if it is heard ringing in the background, gotcha!

Hans13

If this were ongoing and he was on their short list of suspects, all the dispatcher would need to call his cellphone and/or house phone and if it is heard ringing in the background, gotcha!

That would do it.. Especially if he answered. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.