Voice and Data on same frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glen4cindy

I'm monitoring a local Fire/EMS frequency and I'm hearing what really sounds like data streams at times, but, there is also a good deal of voice traffic.

Sometimes, it seems like the data and voice are happening at the same time.

0282 CONV 154.385000 Fire/EMS/Rescue: CTCSS 156.7 2.0 NFM -2----

Above is information copied from PRSEdit500.

This is a Madison County, IL - Alton Fire frequency.

If what I am hearing is data bursts, is there a way to lock those out without missing the voice?

Thanks in advance.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
Or an neighboring states trunk control channel. We have that problem here in northeast Nebraska.

Ron

glen4cindy

If possible program in the PL/CTCSS tone of 156.7 to see if that helps. The data bursts could be interference or intermod.

Shawn

I used RR and PSREdit to program my scanner.

is from PSREdit and CTCSS 156.7 is showing on 282 where this scanning object is located.

Is that what you mean by programming the PL/CTCSS tone?

If so, it is already there and the data bursts are still there.

Maybe it's unavoidable.

Thanks

ScannerSK

I used RR and PSREdit to program my scanner.

is from PSREdit and CTCSS 156.7 is showing on 282 where this scanning object is located.

Is that what you mean by programming the PL/CTCSS tone?

If so, it is already there and the data bursts are still there.

Maybe it's unavoidable.

Thanks

It appears you already have the CTCSS tone programmed into the scanner for that object. My assumption is the scanner is opening the audio when it receives the CTCSS tone on the traffic you are attempting to monitor. Unfortunately, there is another broadcast being received at the same time for any number of reasons. Yes, it is possible this may be unavoidable. A directional antenna as mentioned may help. Try using just the stock antenna if you are not already doing so.

Adding attenuation to just that channel may also help; it may make the signal weaker for the channel you are attempting to monitor however this may also eliminate the interference.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.