BC246T: Best scanner ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIGG

So I've owned the BC246T for about 10 years now and it still performs like a champ. It's been dropped several times and still works awesome.

Compared to the newer BCD436HP, it's tiny and light weight and only requires 2 AA's.

Anyone else think this was the best scanner ever produced by Uniden? I know it lacks digital capabilities - but for your basic analog and trunking needs it can't be beat.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Nope. Most of what I monitor is on digital trunked systems, and after installing a GPS in my 436, I would never go back to scanning without integrated GPS, even for analog stuff like ham repeaters.

Haley

If we are talking analog only, then I would say the 346xt, and the 330t beat the 246t. Don't get me wrong----I still like and use the 246t (I own all 3), but I would say the other 2 are more sensitive on the same ranges. And of course maybe it's just my location or yours that makes one better over the other. Either way the 246t is a great little scanner. Got mine in 2006.

BillH1

If we are talking analog only, then I would say the 346xt, and the 330t beat the 246t. Don't get me wrong----I still like and use the 246t (I own all 3), but I would say the other 2 are more sensitive on the same ranges. And of course maybe it's just my location or yours that makes one better over the other. Either way the 246t is a great little scanner. Got mine in 2006.

My Br330T was the best scanner I ever had, until I dropped it on the antenna and the antenna jack snapped off.

scannersnstuff

While I highly like/ Liked the two that I have/had, it's not the best scanner ever. I like the capability of leaving it in my car, because it does a good job, and is "war worn".

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The BCD396XT is Uniden's best digital handheld scanner. It should have been updated with the SD card and record capabilities, and a wider screen.

Haley

The BCD396XT is Uniden's best digital handheld scanner. It should have been updated with the SD card and record capabilities, and a wider screen.

My ALL-TIME favorite model, bar none. I still have mine, it (and the 346xt, and 330t) is the most rock solid scanner I have ever owned. I have said it before, If Uniden could have, or would have upgraded the 396xt to phase II (kept the same case----I really like that style and size), they would have had one of their best selling scanners ever, IMO.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Agree on the 396XT. I liked my 330T so much that I upgraded to the 396XT years ago. You can't beat it for performance and simplicity. In fact I took it to Myrtle Beach earlier this year and used it to easily find and monitor a 380 MHz trunked mil system. It's fantastic for mil air too. Size and battery life is great.

(For digital P25 LSM distortion free reception: the Unication G4 hands down, no questions asked, case closed. I am amazed every day I use it.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

frazpo

396 for sure

I've had many. Currently have a 436 and a TRX-1. The 396 was a brick and had great receive. The size was perfect. 396 for sure.

bigcam406

I know everyone is mentioning handhelds but my personal favourite that i still use is my 898T. Love the looks, works flawlessly, and its my go to for dxing and aviation freqs. Plus theres an analogue trunking system still in use my area that it scans perfectly.

Haley

Agree on the 396XT. I liked my 330T so much that I upgraded to the 396XT years ago. You can't beat it for performance and simplicity. In fact I took it to Myrtle Beach earlier this year and used it to easily find and monitor a 380 MHz trunked mil system. It's fantastic for mil air too. Size and battery life is great.

(For digital P25 LSM distortion free reception: the Unication G4 hands down, no questions asked, case closed. I am amazed every day I use it.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Totally agree on the Mil-Air, I have taken it several times to the panhandle of Florida for that very reason. I still remember the first time I took it , as a back-up to the Pro-106. Needless to say (to my surprise) it beat the 106 hands down. Both had Diamond RC77 antennas. I never under-estimated it again. As the proud owner of a G5 , you have no argument from me. Little pager is insane on my local system, full bars all the time, clear as a bell audio.

Haley

I know everyone is mentioning handhelds but my personal favourite that i still use is my 898T. Love the looks, works flawlessly, and its my go to for dxing and aviation freqs. Plus theres an analogue trunking system still in use my area that it scans perfectly.

That was always one model I wanted to try, just never got around to it. For the very reasons you stated.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Sometimes when I'm not hearing any mil air here at my QTH, I think my 396XT is not functioning properly (LOL which is definitely not the case). There's some, but not a ton, of mil air here. It's usually quiet.

So when I took it down to Myrtle Beach...what I already know was once again re-affirmed: the thing exploded with non stop mil air. I used the Diamond RH77 as well. ARTCC, exercises, JSTARS, everything. I was in mil air heaven.

Used it all week with 3 AA alkalines; I maybe had to swap batteries on the last day. THAT is what makes it such a great scanner.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on

I have owned my 436 for almost 3 years now, and I primarily use it to listen to a P25 phase 2 simulcast system, but I have yet to experience the distortion some people complain about. The audio is loud and very clear, and the only thing that rivals the quality is the DMR system the local school busses use.

Last edited:

Ubbe

The 246 has a much different sound quality compared to more modern scanners. It is much more bassy that can be very pleasant to your ears in some situations.
But bassy means that it requires more power to produce the same sound pressure and the speaker easily bottoms out, not suitable for car use.

/Ubbe

SIGG

The 246 has a much different sound quality compared to more modern scanners. It is much more bassy that can be very pleasant to your ears in some situations.
But bassy means that it requires more power to produce the same sound pressure and the speaker easily bottoms out, not suitable for car use.

/Ubbe

Never thought of this but now that you mention it, I really do like the sound from my 246.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcool101

Feed Provider
Agreed on the 396XT...My feed radio is a 396T....I have 2 246s....wore one out...But hands down because of Simulcast it has to be the 436

rcool101

Feed Provider
The 396T is blue only..The 396XT has 6 or 7 colors (I prefer the green) and only uses 3 AAs.. I have both and will keep too..My last post said 436 was best. Not anymore. SDS100 beats everything I own

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.