Will Co. P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubn

Database Admin
FWIW - This is one of those systems where you'll probably want to always have all of the frequencies in your programming as any could become the control channel at any time.
Very true - we just had the same issue happen with the Peoria Co P25 TRS this week where they switched the control channel to a frequency not in the database and people's scanners stopped tracking it.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Will Co

Yup changed Cc to 854.3375 which is from the old Edacs system we may see more frequent from there in time ...

elrod

Thanks for the info Ron.Seems to work fine on my 325P2.
Now If I could only get it to work on my G5 I would be happy.

Chuck

elrod

Is your G5 issue because they are using Phase 2/TDMA or something else?

Have you tried wildcards for WACN, SysId, RFSS and Site?

I have tried wild cards for all but still seem to get the out of range message.
When I put in Wacn of 000C5 it comes out as C5. When I put in Sys Id as 011 it comes out as 11 and both Rfss and site id come out as 1 and I still get out of range. I am going try wildcards on Rfss and site id next.

Chuck

troymail

Silent Key
I have tried wild cards for all but still seem to get the out of range message.
When I put in Wacn of 000C5 it comes out as C5. When I put in Sys Id as 011 it comes out as 11 and both Rfss and site id come out as 1 and I still get out of range. I am going try wildcards on Rfss and site id next.

Chuck
Leading zeros tend to be ignored....

Given the CC frequency is known, I'd try a system config of:

WACN: FFFFF
SysID: FFF
RFSS: FF
Site: FF

There is a known issue with the Unications for a few systems - unclear if the problem is specific to "EF Johnson" systems or the lack of trunking table data in the control channel (or both).

I think the Will Co system is Harris so that would only seem to leave a lack of trunking table data in the control channel.... Not sure if anyone in your area has been able to verify if they send that data or not....

troymail

Silent Key
Last edited:

elrod

Oh snap!

It might will be EF Johnson!

15-238 Awarding Bid for the County-Wide P25 800 MHz Trunked Simulcast Radio System and Subscriber Equipment for Will County, IL - Will County, Illinois

I'm aware of at least two other EF Johnsons that don't work on a Unication!

EDIT: perhaps one of your neighbors in Cook County was talking about the same EF Johnson system:
http://forums.radioreference.com/un...g4-g5-firmware-pps-thread-15.html#post2857539

I am guessing you are right Troy. I thought I read somewhere it was a Harris system. I have tried every combo of wildcards from all, to replacing each item one at a time and still nothing. I am not aware of anyone else in Will Co. that is having problems getting this system to work on a G5. Could be no one in Will Co. has a G5. Works good on a325P2?? I don't think I will hold my breath for David to chime in on EF Johnson systems. At any rate thanks for your help. I will keep plugging away and maybe something will pop.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Its a EF/Johnson system, on my Uniden scanners choosing P25Auto works fine but on my RS 106 and 197 it only works on P25Manual, so its a weird system with a funny CC sound....Starcom works great on all scanners on P25AUTO......

XTS3000

Little confused here.... Is this a Phase-1 or Phase-2 system? The Database says its a phase-2, yet I can pick it up very well on a 396XT with very weak signal.

Happy New Years

XTS3000

Lots of Phase 2 (compliant) systems operate full in Phase 1 mode.

Thanks for the quick reply! So does this mean at anytime they could "flick the switch" and turn it into a Phase 2 system. I was unaware of these hybrid Phase1/2 systems.

KC9LEA

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply! So does this mean at anytime they could "flick the switch" and turn it into a Phase 2 system. I was unaware of these hybrid Phase1/2 systems.

Not Very Likely. Most of the Departments I have talked to or have done installs for have bought used equipment that Is pre phase 2. And yes the system is an EFJ system, So no luck with Unication G4/G5 pagers. Hopefully they will release an upgrade that can handle it sometime in the future. FWIW, You might want to put all the control channels from the old EDACS in the new system. I have a feeling all the old freqs are going to be migrating over to the new system sooner or later.

troymail

Silent Key

It wouldn't necessarily be a "flick the switch" -- if the option is implemented, they could actually "phase in" use of Phase 2 as radios are deployed....

I'm not sure about EF Johnson, but Motorola has a mode that allows Phase 1 and Phase 2 radios to co-exist on a system and talkgroups. In Motorola's solution, as long as at least one Phase 1 radio is on a given talkgroup, the talkgroup will be in Phase 1 but as soon as there are no Phase 1 radios on the talkgroup, that talkgroup will revert to Phase 2 (if configured to be primarily Phase 2).

So, there could be a scenario where, down the road, you gradually hear a talkgroup less and less (or at random times) if your receiver isn't Phase 2 capable.

BTW - I've seen some systems where only certain talkgroups are Phase 2 while others are Phase 1. It could doing this based on talkgroup configuration and/or the radios being used on the various talkgroups.

AC9BX

Some of the groups were in Phase 2 while they were doing testing. It's probable that some groups will phase 2. An example might be interop groups with Grundy or Wescom. A few Wescom groups on Starcom use phase 2 while most all the departments served by Wescom are with phase 1.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I have two PhaseII scanners , I have seen it when up in NWCD in Arlington Hts but I have not seen anyone here in the Will Co area on Starcom or Will Co as yet.....I have yet to hear the Will Co EMA or the WCo Forest PR PD on the new system....Soon T125-Grundy Co will be changed into T113 with more sub sites added to T113 to bring on Grundy Co, T113 will have 18 sites....

Status
Not open for further replies.