Scanner Programming Market Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonhouk

Hello All,

Was wanting your input on what the current market would demand for offering the service of programming scanners for customers.

I know there are many variables such as type of scanner, number of channels customer may want, weather the scanner will be used in a mobile, desktop and the type of antenna setup they may use.

So in general how much would you charge to program the following:

Trunking scanner with one County programmed:

Analog scanner with one County programmed:

Thanks
J

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Except for total noobs and people with a visual impairment, it's not really a viable business model. Most scanner users are capable of figuring out how to program their scanners, and are more satisfied with their experience when they do so. This is especially true of the newer database-based scanners that don't require traditional programming, and where the database offers examples of how to correctly program a channel or system that can be copied and pasted into a user-created scan list and tweaked as the user sees fit.

IMO your time and energy would be better spent offering one-on-one training services to show users how to get the most out of their scanners, rather than offering programming for a fee.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
IMO your time and energy would be better spent offering one-on-one training services to show users how to get the most out of their scanners, rather than offering programming for a fee.

THIS. I have helped many local users get up and running with their new scanners. I never quote fees for my services as I consider what I do "paying it forward" from the people that helped me get started in the hobby & get my ham ticket etc many years ago. I may let them buy me lunch but that is usually the extent of my requests.

I get satisfaction from seeing someone that I have helped out be able to quickly pull up a specific system or channel on their scanner and see how happy they are with a radio they are comfortable using.

Marshall KE4ZNR

jasonhouk

Except for total noobs and people with a visual impairment, it's not really a viable business model. Most scanner users are capable of figuring out how to program their scanners, and are more satisfied with their experience when they do so. This is especially true of the newer database-based scanners that don't require traditional programming, and where the database offers examples of how to correctly program a channel or system that can be copied and pasted into a user-created scan list and tweaked as the user sees fit.

I agree with your opinion Jon but there are total noobs out there. (A new business model may need to considered)

I also program scanners for local Electronics stores in my area and they have kept me fairly busy. (see attached)

So how much would you charge?

J

Attachments

• nbrscannersprogrammed.pdf
    323.9 KB · Views: 138

jasonhouk

THIS. I have helped many local users get up and running with their new scanners. I never quote fees for my services as I consider what I do "paying it forward" from the people that helped me get started in the hobby & get my ham ticket etc many years ago. I may let them buy me lunch but that is usually the extent of my requests.

I get satisfaction from seeing someone that I have helped out be able to quickly pull up a specific system or channel on their scanner and see how happy they are with a radio they are comfortable using.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Marshall,

Lunch is always good and I get the same satisfaction when a new user or even some seasoned HAMS become comfortable using their devices. I'm just trying to get an idea of what anyone from noobs to experienced user would be willing to pay?

Thanks
J

mule1075

Feed Provider
If you under cut what scannermaster and universal radio charge you might do some business. What they charge is highway robbery in my opinion.

K7MFC

WRAA720
If you under cut what scannermaster and universal radio charge you might do some business. What they charge is highway robbery in my opinion.

Is it really though? Time is money to a businesses, and taking an hour or two to setup a scanner costs them money. If someone is not willing to take the time to thoroughly read the user manual of their scanner and learn how to set it up, I don't think there's much room to complain about paying a business for their services to do it.

But to answer your questions..

So in general how much would you charge to program the following: Trunking scanner with one County programmed:
$0
Analog scanner with one County programmed:
$0

I'm not running a business so if somebody approached me to help set up their scanner, I'd do it for free and just be glad to help get somebody else into the hobby!

Last edited:

scanmanmi

I just had mine programmed for $20 by RonaldSki. He did a great job and loaded it with all things imaginable. I think the notion of a county or small geographic are is ridiculous. Now I've got all kinds of military and other things across the state. Of course it's just a beginning because one really needs to know what's on their banks, what to lock out for performance, adding non municipality things, etc. I am going to begin with what he did and start configuring it myself from here. https://saginaw.craigslist.org/ele/d/digital-police-scanner/6424203876.html

Last edited:

6079smithw

I've done such things myself for no charge, as what goes around comes around. However, if the equipment owner was to offer a container or two with a logo on it like maybe, Corona or Michelob out of gratitude it would simply be plain bad manners not to accept... ;-)

wtp

five bucks tops, maybe a beer.

i had a guy come to my house and had the radio working before we got inside.
sure it was only showing the talkgroup numbers, but he was happy to hear anything.
rebanded system was the problem,
he asked what is owed, i said just use the radio and have fun.
it was really for his wife and she is a nurse at a local hospital in the ER.
she just wanted a jump on what might come in.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
it was really for his wife and she is a nurse at a local hospital in the ER.
she just wanted a jump on what might come in.

Soon she might not need it. My local EMS dispatch center is rolling out a special webpage designed for TVs that will display every unit coming to or at their hospital.

teufler

Maybe a beer or two if I ever meet them. Really nothing, I use Teamviewer to connect to their computer and radio. I send them email, a short questionnaire of what they are interested in and how far out they want to listen to. A short discussion on what antenna they plan to use. Once I get the question sheet back, I create a file. Then I have a schedule to connect and upload the file to them. The connect and file transfer, with some instruction, maybe 30 minutes max. People were sending radios in the mail to me, plus $30.00. Using Teamviewer, they save postage and reduce downtime of no scanner. I have connected with scanner users from Australia to Ireland plus all over the U.S. I thought of using a Paypal account where users would send me the money and as soon as I had received, I would connect with them but it was just too much hassle. Like most, I enjoy helping new users, perhaps they will return the favor by helping new users too.

dmg1969

I have programmed scanners for several people I know, including a local FD for free.

If you intend to do it as a business, there are things to consider.
1. To make it even remotely worth while, you will have to be open to a wide geographic area. I doubt there are enough noobs locally to support a business. And once they are programmed, they're good for a long time.
2. Since you would have to be open to a wider geographic area, you will have to deal with incoming and outgoing shipping.
3. You will need insurance in case something happens to someone's scanner and they hold you responsible.
4. How will you go about getting the word out about your business?

As others have said, most scanner users know how to program their own radios. The times you get flooded with noobs is usually when an agency changes radio systems. We just went through that with my county (low band to a conventional P25 system) and my FB group had a huge uptick in membership requests for people wanting to know what scanner they needed, how to program them, etc.

Just some thoughts.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I agree with your opinion Jon but there are total noobs out there. (A new business model may need to considered)

They need to be taught how to use the scanner, including how to program it. If you look through the noob forums, you'll find plenty of examples of people being given a programming file, and still being frustrated or confused, because they didn't know how to toggle Quick Keys, enable or disable Service Types, set their location and Range correctly, set/clear Avoids on Systems, Departments, and Channels, set Priority channels, weather alerts, and Close Call, etc. Even if your scanner is programmed perfectly, it can be next to useless if you don't know how to use it, and inadvertently toggle a Quick Key or Service Type and disable the traffic you're primarily interested in (or enable stuff you're not interested in).

IMO, there is a reasonable business case to be made for that sort of training. But just paying someone else to program your scanner for you makes about as much sense as paying someone else to pleasure your significant other for you--in the long run, nobody is really going to be happy with the arrangement.

jmontes77029

I got my first scanner when I was 12 years old which was 26 years ago. It was a gift from my dad. He did not know how to program it and neither did I but after a few hours and a one of those frequency books from radio shack I had that thing up and running and was addicted. The only systems being used in my area was a conventional system which only required 1 frequency per channel. Soon came time to upgrade to a trunking scanner. This is where I was put up to the challenge to really learn my scanner since trunking was a whole new animal. It to a while and reading to finally figure it out. When I did it was one of the best things in the world to hear my scanner pick up both sides of the conversation instead of just one side. I think the best thing for any hobbyist is to learn your scanner and learn how to program it yourself. You will be so glad you did. I would never charge someone to program one for them. I would gladly show them what I know. The payment would be the happiness and joy I see in them every time they power up that bad boy and are tuning in to what is going in their community.

i do a lot of scanner programming 99% of the time i ask for $20 and always get a BIG SMILE from them when the scanners done.i have had some my Computer would NOT work did them by hand would take me a few days and many hours to set up the scanner i would get $50 again no one had a problem paying the extra money i'm in Cleveland Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.