2 Scanners / 1 Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

javidnky2005

I have 2 scanners plugged into my computer, one is hooked to a Line In and the other to Microphone. My problem is that I can hear the one connected to Line In bleed through the feed hooked to the microphone port. How do I get around this? I was thinking of getting 2 USB sound cards and use one for each feed. Will that fix my issue?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 344

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
First of all, hooking a scanner to a microphone input is a really terrible idea. Audio quality is going to suck because the mic input is expecting a millivolt-level signal, and even if you use a line-out from the scanner, the signal is going to be about 1VRMS. You can attenuate it down to mic level, but then you're getting extra noise when you amplify the signal again with the mic input. Attenuating and then re-amplifying always increases noise level and degrades the signal. It's always better to use an input designed to match the output. Google "gain staging" for a more detailed explanation.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/gain-staging/
https://ledgernote.com/columns/studio-recording/gain-staging/

Using separate sound cards will better isolate the signals from the scanners, and should eliminate the cross-talk between feeds. Just make sure both have line-level inputs.

NYRHKY94

Agree with Jon 100%. Using the Mic for a scanner feed or other listening purposes should be a "last resort". Always better to use Line-In from the PC sound card and/or a separate USB sound card. Several good choices for those on the market.

blacktop

Feed Provider
Last edited:

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
I can recommend a proper audio mixer that can serve as audio interface. Take a look at one of the Behringer mixers. One that has USB connection should work very well.

rcool101

Feed Provider
USB.jpg
These work just fine for a few bucks from E-Bay....Get a few...I bought 5...Its plugged into the Mic.....Works fine.....Listen to my feed....
..A 396T on a laptop with a USB sound card...With Tags....Also try RadioFeed....Scannercast hasn't been updated in 8 yrs

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
View attachment 62206
These work just fine for a few bucks from E-Bay....Get a few...I bought 5...Its plugged into the Mic.....Works fine.....Listen to my feed....

And your feed audio is unnecessarily noisy as a direct result. Attenuating a signal down to mic level and then reamplifying always degrades audio quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.