SOD going to CW4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I just heard the SOD dispatcher state that SOD is going off the air for 2 months for maintenance and all units are to operate on CW4. Does anyone have any insight? I know CW4 is digital and encrypted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I see they changed it in the DB. I still have it In my APX with P25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Just for the record, CW4 (and most of the other digital systems) has both digital and analog capability, though usually (but not always) only one or the other is enabled at any given time.

CW4 analog PL (which seems to have disappeared from the DB when the P25 version was added) is 3Z/123.0Hz, for those who want to use it.

Danny37

I never even bothered to program citywide 4, I'm listening to SOD right now and it's silent. Can anyone confirm if sod on cw4 is analog and in the clear?

ff026

Feed Provider
Analog and in the clear! Side note they are not muting the MDC at the comparator.

Danny37

Awesome, thank you. A 2 months Maintenance sounds like a big overhaul, you think they'll go p25 digital? They already have the digital vertex radios.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
SOD down for 2 months?? what kind of "maintenance " could this be?? sounds like a major change? and, CW4 has no Staten Island 482 simulcast, so wont this be a problem???

No, but SOD IS also here: 482.68750 NYMAC 1 Citywide InterOp

ff026

Feed Provider
All the current infrastructure is being replaced with a new Simulcast infrastructure.

4-crime

Anyone know any specifics that is being worked on here? Never heard of a PD frequency going down for two months.

The only other time I could remember is when Transit was transitioning to UHF. They called it a “pilot program’ when they switched, but they never actually switched back to VHF at all, they all remained on UHF.

IMHO I do not see the NYPD going digital or encrypted on SOD as many other agencies access that frequency for interoperability purposes (PAPD, TBTA, Yonkers PD, neighboring agencies, Federal Agencies etc.) but then again this is the NYPD, and I have been wrong before.

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Remember the FD borough channels did the same thing this fall...not for 2 months, but each was down for a period of time and the units were on CW.

ff026

Feed Provider
The existing 2 site conventional multicast footprint is being replaced with a 6 site simulcast footprint .

ff026

Feed Provider
No from 6 transmitters simultaneously. Right now SOD transmits on 2 frequencies 1 for the other 4 Boros one for Staten Island, it is called a multicast. The new infrastructure will have 6 sites all transmitting at the same time on the same frequency which is a simulcast.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
No from 6 transmitters simultaneously. Right now SOD transmits on 2 frequencies 1 for the other 4 Boris one for Staten Island, it’s a multicast.
Are you saying sod will only remain on 470.8375 and 482.4875. ? But those two frequencies will have 6 transmitter sites throughout the city? I would assume at least one site in each Borough..?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

D

DaveNF2G

So NYC monitors will be able to enjoy the LSM self-jamming that the rest of us have been experiencing with the new P25 trunked systems. Welcome to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.