pro106

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotshell12

good afternoon to all hope all is well

my moms pro 106 has died been told because or p25 i am trying to find a cable to help program?????
gentlemen and ladies we are trying to get darlington co and hartsville chesterfield sheriff it may be a scanner
button that my mom pushed it was working fine say 3 months ago ??????? and it will still get chesterfield co
but none of the rest i am lost when come to scanners ...is there any hope or do i need to buy another scanner,,,, mom is 85 years old scanner great past time for her any info would be great

BIG THANKS

shotshell12

sir i thik that these are the new freq that must be reprogram in to scanner and the red ones are the main ones

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
It's very likely that the Palmetto 800 system change to a digital radio platform over the last 6+ months is the cause of your mother's scanner mostly going silent. If the scanner hasn't had its programming updated recently, then it's missing all of the traffic on that system.

Your mom's scanner is capable of monitoring this new system, so a new scanner shouldn't be required.

Understanding how to program the scanner can be a major challenge for someone new to the hobby. You can opt to program it by hand (manually entering information through the scanner's keypad), in which case the cost of acquiring software and a programming cable is not an issue. Most folks who program by hand will agree that it is a tedious chore.

Most folks will agree that to get the most benefit and enjoyment out of the scanner, programming by computer is a better choice. This way, when something changes again, you can update the programming. Or if for some reason the scanner loses its configuration, you have a back-up of it on the PC.

So, you can choose to learn how to program the scanner yourself, and then choose whether to program it manually or spring for software and an interface cable. Or you can attempt to find someone who can program it for you. I would happily send you (for free) a configuration file that I create myself, but you would be required to obtain software and a cable to transfer that data to the scanner. Others might be willing to have you ship to scanner to them for programming (a risky proposition for someone you don't know) or come to you to program it.

Let us know which way you're leaning, and we can help from there.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To help you along, we have an article in our wiki (links are always blue) that takes you through many of the details you will need to understand, including those 'hex' and 'dec' numbers (talkgroups on a trunked system). The 'Trunking Basics' article will help you there. There's lots of other help including an Easier to Read manual, linked at the bottom of...

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

shotshell12

big thanks to all suppose to have cable on the way sir i would love to have a file so it would be plug and play
what is the best software to buy for this scanner or easiest to work with

troymail

Silent Key
Everyone has a favorite but if you get Win500, I'll be happy to help you get going.

Most software gives you 30 day trial periods before you have to buy as well.

But NOTE: in order to import data from the RR database, for best results, you'll also need a Premium Subscription as well (unless you're good at cut and paste).

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I prefer (and use) Win500 from Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197, 651, 652), Whistler (WS1040, WS1065), and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400, 310, 410) scanners. If I send you a file, that's the software I'll use to create it, and the software you'd use to open it and upload it to your radio.

As troymail noted, you can use a configuration that someone else wants to send you, but if you're going to the expense of purchasing software and a cable, it's probably worth learning enough to create and customize your own configurations. Your mom may already know that Chesterfield County is in scan list 2, for example. And a file I send you might have Chestfield County in scan list 6. If you want to change my file and move Chesterfield from 6 to 2, you can do that yourself with a little knowledge.

With not much more knowledge, you can import data directly from the database on this site into Win500 and create your own configurations. A premium subscription to RadioReference.com will allow that capability, which eliminates a lot of time and typing.

If you can send me a private message through this site, you can provide more details regarding what channels you'd like to have in the configuration I send to you.

Brian

shotshell12

got cable and got both software winn 500 and arc 500 cant up and down load no problem changed freq no luck yet workind and reading all morning ???????????

mckinscan

Feed Provider
Last edited:

sthreatt

If all else fails I'm only a short ride down the road from you. About 6 miles south of Cassatt. I'm pretty sure I can get your 106 switched over to P25. I have the talk group ID's for Darlington, Hartsville, and Chesterfield, and the control frequencies. I use Butel ARC 500 so might be able to answer any questions you may have about getting your software configured. If you need you can call me at 803-425-1544. Glad to help if I can. I already have a file written for McBee which I can load to your scanner in about two minutes but I'm too far from your towers to load it to my scanner to test it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.