• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

awall6

I am looking to program my kt-8900 to the GMRS frequencies using CHIRP.

Does anyone have the GMRS settings (or a link to them) including the tone and other settings that I may need?

KB7MIB

For simplex use, you can program whatever tone you want your family or other group to use. Or you can leave the radios in carrier squelch, that is, with no tone programmed. (If you use a tone, the regulations have required that you disable it momentarily in order to insure that there are no other conversations already taking place on the channel. If you were to attempt to contact another member of your party while another conversation is already taking place, not only can you interfere with their conversation, but their conversation can interfere with yours, resulting in frustration for everybody.)

In order to use a repeater, first you need permission of the repeater owner(s) to use their repeater, then you need to get the tones needed to access the repeater from them.

If there is a repeater on 462.6750 in your area, it *might* have the common travelers assistance tone of 141.3 Hz.

Go to mygmrs.com I think it is, and see if there are any repeaters in your area that might be available for your use. If there is, they may be free, or you may be asked to pay a fee to help with the costs of maintaining the repeater. Repeaters are not cheap to put up and keep up.

Before transmitting, be sure to acquire a license if you don't already have one :)

John
WPXJ598
Peoria, AZ

Last edited:

N4KVE

On the local GMRS machine I sometimes use, there is only 1 PL tone, so no need do disable PL decode, as there could only be a conversatuon on that one tone. And it's not 141. But yes, you must get permission from the owner like I did to use his repeater. These are not open repeaters like a ham repeater. Make sure radio is set to wide band, as GMRS did not go narrow. 5 KHz tx dev.

KB7MIB

I was referring to simplex use, not repeaters, when I mentioned disabling any tone momentarily before transnitting to check for any already ongoing co-channel conversations.

And some GMRS repeaters are narrow, even though it is not required, such as several in the Phoenix metro area.
You need to check with the repeater owner to see if they are using regular or narrow FM. (No, I do not want to reignite the debate over the pros and cons of NFM vs. FM. I am simply stating that there are some NFM GMRS repeaters, and the OP needs to contact the repeater owner to see what settings are needed in his specific case.)

John
WPXJ598
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.