Lubbock assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcass1963

I received 2 scanner bcd436 and a 536. I have yet to do anything with the 436
I could out that the 536 had a previous owner from Amazon. 436 factory, I have watched video after video to get tg is thing working. I live in Lubbock. Got the two for XMAS. I have the mini sc card with all of the areas information. Got it transform to scanner. I did see that after it update to scanner. We just recently go to p.25 Texas tech has been that way for 4 or years. A month ago I noticed nothing was broadcasting so I knew than it was changed. I just can't get ANY THING at all on the 536. If I have to will. Send then back don't want to but I might. I noticed the update the guy did from your site was version 01 07 05 I believe. I need help and getting frustrated very badly. Seem like two great scanners if I have to lose them i will have to. I just to frustrating.
Thank you
David cassity
Lubbock tx 806 577 6067
razrbak202@gmail.com

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Lubbock has gone to a phase 2 System. I graduated in the middle of the transition and haven’t actually been around to play much since. FireJustin can provide more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I received 2 scanner bcd436 and a 536. I have yet to do anything with the 436
I could out that the 536 had a previous owner from Amazon. 436 factory, I have watched video after video to get tg is thing working. I live in Lubbock. Got the two for XMAS. I have the mini sc card with all of the areas information. Got it transform to scanner. I did see that after it update to scanner. We just recently go to p.25 Texas tech has been that way for 4 or years. A month ago I noticed nothing was broadcasting so I knew than it was changed. I just can't get ANY THING at all on the 536. If I have to will. Send then back don't want to but I might. I noticed the update the guy did from your site was version 01 07 05 I believe. I need help and getting frustrated very badly. Seem like two great scanners if I have to lose them i will have to. I just to frustrating.
Thank you
David cassity
Lubbock tx 806 577 6067
razrbak202@gmail.com
Welcome to RadioReference and the Texas Forum, David.

Version 1.07.05 is the current version for the Sentinel software for the two scanners. Please confirm that you do have the software installed on your PC. With the software running on the PC, look down in the lower left hand corner. You'll see a date there, which is the latest update for the master database that has been applied. The current database, as of this past Monday, will show a version date of 12/31/2017. The next update, available this coming Monday, should be 01/07/2018. If you have not updated the master database, please do so.

On each of the two scanners, check the date of the database that has been downloaded to the scanner. You can this by pressing Menu (the lower button on the left side of the 436, or Menu key near the lower right corner of the 536HP's display.
Once the Menu options are displayed, scroll to Manage Full Database.
Press the Enter (E) key to select that option.
From the next menu, scroll to Information, and press Enter to select that option.
The next screen will show the date for the master database in the scanner itself. If they are seriously out of date, update them using Sentinel (after you have made sure that Sentinel itself is up to date).

Are you using a Favorites list to scan, or just using your location with a range set. If using location, be sure that the location is correct. If in doubt, reset it both in Sentinel as well as on each scanner.

The other area that is often the reason that you do not hear what you expected is the Service types. By default, the scanner as shipped only has Dispatch channels enabled (Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch). Also enable the Tac & Talk service types for these (Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc). Be sure to enable them in both your profile in Sentinel, as well as on the scanners.

Once you have confirmed that the scanners & Sentinel have the current database updates, and that your location is correctly applied and Service types verified, see if that improves the way these units scan.

I know there are several Lubbock area members that post in tghis forum. Maybe one or more of them have additional suggestions.

dwcass1963

dwcass1963

Steve can you give me there contact or can you pass this on to them. The scanners seem awesome and don't want to get rid of them really. Old school scanners is what I am use to. I am sure once i get online all will be okay.
I downloaded info on the USA part of software today. I said at one time that it saved it to SD card. I think my issue is getting on a favorite I names on as Lubbock but never hear anyrhing on scanner. One guy something like K4DPS had a video and it wasn't anything like it showed on my 536. One of the videos that had a guy showing how to get the department's moved on the SD card. It was a Rep from Sentinel I will try again Sunday on your help. Thanks again, if you can shove info to me it will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
David

dwcass1963

Question one, I have not seen anything about CLONING. I would clone the 536 to 436. Well, I will work on this Tuesday and see how. On programming do you know if they charge for each location. I would want Lubbock area, Dallas and Tarrant counties, Harris and Montgomery Counties, and Los Angeles and San Bernardino area. FOR SURE THE TEXAS COUNTIES WHEN I GO THERE.
Thank you again for ALL the help so far. Maybe I can help someone when I get this taken care of. Do You guys know of and help in here from the Lubbock area.
Thanks Again Thank You Guys
David,
806 577 6067
davidc1963@outlook.com

dwcass1963

One last question tonight on the SD card, when I send stuff on the card, does it need to be on computer or scanner. I have it in the scanner but in one video he mentioned it was in his computer. Thanks again

FireJustin

As noted, I would certainly start by connecting the scanners to your PC, and using Sentinel to update the database on each of the scanners. If you need help with that, PM me and we can talk you through that. Next, make sure you put in the correct zip code for this area. I would also check that your scanner is monitoring all of the service types that you want to hear. Lubbock City/County both use the P25 system exclusively, you won't hear anything on the EDACS system. Again, if I can help please let me know.

dwcass1963

Guys sorry to be so dumb on this but I lost my night school sweetheart love of my life and my everything MY WIFE, AND My son, in a accident on Nov. 20, 2017. Still messed up abo it that, so this scanner will get my mind off that.
Thanks,
David

dwcass1963

I have worked on this 536 today. I have some of the favorites on SD CARD and when I go under favs, the Dallas area houston area are on. My Lubbock PD and.County don't show. But if I put in NRMEAR ME OR BY ZIP Lubbock area show up. I do have traffic on the Texas Tech University and nothing else. I did hear traffic on D.P.S. & T.H.P. I have some things that show up on Custom 1 thru Custom 8???? What is that, they are in the 26.000 to 900's
I want to give you guys a call but feel back cause of the different things I want to ask. Heck if new where in D/FW I would find yall. Well enough from me today. Are any vids you guys have to would help me out.
Thanks again

dwcass1963

Can you tell me how to get rid of the CUSTOM SCANS. THEY SHOW UP WHEN I TURN OF SCANNER.
THIS IS A HCD536HP, THE ARE ON CUSTOM 1-6. FREQ. START AT A RANGE FROM 40. UP TO 144. AND UP 900. I AM GETTING LOST ON THIS SCANNER. I CANT EVEN GET ANY VOICE ON SCANNER. I KNOW WITH THIS SCANNER AND THING IT CAN DO. I AM SURE IT WILL WHEN I GET IT GOING. IF YOU NEED TO SEND OR FORWARD THIS ON PLEASE FEEL FREE.
THANK YOU
DAVID CASSITY
LUBBOCK, TX

dwcass1963

HELP

Guys i still cant get a thing to pick up on the lubbock city or lubbock county.
This is just so unreal. Haven't even started to work on the 436.
Have no idea what i am doing wrong. Only thing i get is ttu and thats it. Did at one time get dps, but not a damn thing. Feel i just wasted money on these

Ensnared

Om

Guys i still cant get a thing to pick up on the lubbock city or lubbock county.
This is just so unreal. Haven't even started to work on the 436.
Have no idea what i am doing wrong. Only thing i get is ttu and thats it. Did at one time get dps, but not a damn thing. Feel i just wasted money on these

Please, don't act like yours truly. When I first unboxed my 436HP, I experienced the same type of histrionics. In fact, I considered dashing it against the wall, many times.

With patience, feedback from the forum, and particularly Steve's help, I was able to construct a great scanning program.

I strongly urge you to concentrate on Lubbock and discard the other cities until you have this down.

I have not read whether you have reviewed: a) the profile you are using and whether or not the various functions are checked with the most important being the various service types. If these are not checked, it won't work. After you have programmed everything, go back and make sure the display screen, service types, etc. are to your liking. Then, save the profile. Pay particularly close attention to the 1st screen that pops up when you click on the Sentinel software profile.

There, you will see a listing of all the Favorites you've created. Pay very close attention to whether the on or off buttons are correct for each Favorite. You need to have "yes" marked for those you want to download into your radio.

When you branch out into the state, you can create a different profile which would either turn on or off various Favorites you've created.

Finally, I would forget the 10 configuration keys since I've not found any utility in their existence. When I trashed this function, the radio is now setup like an old school banked scanner, period. I toggle on and off what I want.

Dude, I have a ton of time and I would be very happy to forward my Lubbock County loads to you provided you sent me an email address.

Before you get too discouraged, just know it took me nearly two years to understand the architecture of this memory. I was used to my GRE PSR 500 which has a different memory structure.

Sir, you have a very powerful pair of radios. If you family is giving you a hard time about the inability to scan, given them a Xanax and be done with it, LOL. It is bad enough having to live in that area of Texas where I grew up. Although the landscape tends to be red with blowing dirt and the velocity of such could easily scalp someone, there is one major aspect about monitoring in the South Plains. It is flat as a pancake.

I've heard the scanning action in that area. I've not heard anything exciting in many years. I am used to the crime levels of Houston, Waco, and Dallas.

You will persevere.

Last edited:

twobytwo

Don't give up!!! One possibility is that your radio is not receiving the transmissions where you live.Where I live South University and the Loop I cannot receive anything on the Lubbock System. I know everything is programmed correctly because I can take the scanner to work, near the Airport, and receive the system.There has been numerous threads on this board about how weak the signals are. You might drive around town and see if you are able to hear anything. The antennas are located at East 23 St and 19th & Alcove. I have a TRX1 so I cant help with programming.

Ensnared

Reception Tips

I put my squelch on 2.

I use a professional grade antenna that is often found in catalogs like Ham Radio Outlet. If you were go out & buy a fairly high-end stereo, a McIntosh for instance, you would want complimentary speakers to match, not some crap from Radio Shack. I use a NMO mount for the stinger.

In my opinion, the most important component of my radio system is a proper antenna, particularly when 800 mhz is involved. My wide-band antenna fits on a Tram 5 inch Magnetic rubber-booted base I bought from the Antenna Farm.

Remember, you have flat land. If you can, mount an outside antenna for the 536. You will be amazed at the difference. I seriously doubt Lubbock is as saturated of a listening area like Houston or Dallas. Believe me, this is a plus. I would much rather have to tweak my antennas than deal with overloads from other systems, etc. With enough elevation, you might be able to hear various counties outside your area on conventional P25 frequencies.

Yes, that stock rubber antenna will catch some stuff, but I STRONGLY urge you to buy the 800 mhz rubber antenna that used to be sold at Radio Shack. They are still around. Oh, and that crap antenna on top of the 536? To me, that might work in some locations, but it sounds like Lubbock is having trouble with coverage.

I don't know if this is a function of needing to adjust the overall system or what. If you are having trouble hearing the area, you might need elevation. Hell, in that area of the country, you could stand on top of the car & hear digital signals from further distances than that stainless steel telescopic. I hate those things. For clumsy buffoons like myself, they are attractants to my hand or passing objects. I always end up bending them.

dwcass1963

dwcass1963

I have having an issue not being able to hear any Lubbock, County
S.O. traffic. They are on Phase 2 and are on same as Lubbock P.D. in Texas. L.C.S.O. Is entered in my BCD436HP and in my BCD536HP. City PD Fire/EMS, DPS. Thanks for any input.
DWC

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have having an issue not being able to hear any Lubbock, County
S.O. traffic. They are on Phase 2 and are on same as Lubbock P.D. in Texas. L.C.S.O. Is entered in my BCD436HP and in my BCD536HP. City PD Fire/EMS, DPS. Thanks for any input.
DWC
Have you updated the Sentinel database in your PC and written the update to the scanner?

Are you using a Favorites list, or just using your location and the main database?

If using a Favorites list:
For your Lubbock S.O. talkgroups, did you manually enter those, or did you append from the main database?
If you manually entered the S.O. talkgroups, are you using location control on your Favorites list?

Make sure that your correct location is in the Sentinel software and the scanner, if you are using location control. It needs to be correct (if using location) regardless of whether you are just using the main database or a Favorites list.

Check to make sure that you have the correct Service types enabled. By default, the scanner ships with only Dispatch service types active: Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, Multi-Dispatch. You should also enable the related Talk & Tac public service types, i.e. Law Talk, Fore Tac, etc.

Are you hearing Lubbock (city) public safety, just not hearing the Sheriff's dept.?

dwcass1963

dwcass1963

Thanks for the reply. I am using from Favorites on Sentinel. I am using the data downloaded from Sentinel to scanner, nothing entered manually. I have had helped from
Just not hearing ANY Sheriff's Dept. L.P.D. FIRE, DPS, and I have some aircraft on. For now, I am going to take aircraft off cause I have them on other scanners. Ensnared has helped me tremendously on getting my scanners up and running. I trust the work he helped me with, anyway Steve I just don't about
S.O. I was told by Ensnared that they might be doing something else since it a new system and might be online later. I will check thing about what you told me from above post and if anyone out there in Lubbock, please let me know about Lubbock County S.O. I have tried conventional from other scanners and all of the frequencies are all DEAD. I even tried loading them on 436 on the Sentinel. I will check steps you advised. If you know of any things else or anyone knows let me know.
Thanks you Steve

David
Lubbock, TX

FireJustin

Lubbock County currently uses the Phase 2 system, along with all other departments that you're currently hearing. I'd be sure to review any avoids you have set in the scanner. If you hear all the other traffic, there shouldn't be any reason you'd miss them.

Status
Not open for further replies.