CW ID on 161.265 (AAR 77)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB4UR_Sean

I monitor both Norfolk Southern (NS) and CSX Railroad. When I am sitting in the parking lot of my workplace during lunch listening to the CSX comms, it stopped on AAR 77 (161.265) and I heard a CW ID, before it resumed scanning. It sounds like it may be a repeater/PBX.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Probably a base station identifying itself. Sounds like it might be a yard channel with a base station for the yardmaster. CSX does it here on the yard channels (008, 012, 028, 070, etc)

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I monitor both Norfolk Southern (NS) and CSX Railroad. When I am sitting in the parking lot of my workplace during lunch listening to the CSX comms, it stopped on AAR 77 (161.265) and I heard a CW ID, before it resumed scanning. It sounds like it may be a repeater/PBX.

161.265 is a fairly common PBX repeater output for CSX, at least on former Chessie lines. Several locations in Ohio have it.

Usually used around here for crews to call the mechanical desk, or the central yard office to report setouts or pickups along the main. I used to hear quite a bit of activity on it when the dispatchers were in Jacksonville, and now that they're moving back (heaven help us all) I wouldn't be surprised for it to pick up again.

D

DaveNF2G

I hear a Morse ID on a rail channel around my area. It was not a callsign but the model number of the piece of equipment that was sending the ID.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I hear a Morse ID on a rail channel around my area. It was not a callsign but the model number of the piece of equipment that was sending the ID.

lol, nice.

Where I worked, there was a dozen or so repeaters in service in various places, and I don't believe that any of them sent any sort of identification.

Status
Not open for further replies.