G5 Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisb480

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

After doing some research, I am considering purchasing a Unication G5. I know that they are some what new to the market, and before I drop close to $700, I'd like to hear from anyone who has one. I will be using it to monitor Baltimore/Harford's P25 system, as well as Harford UHF. Not sure if the tower locations will make a difference, but for the record, I live in Baltimore County. However, I have no problems picking up UHF on my Minitors.

Any feedback from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i own the G5 VHF and LOVE it i have a hard time to monitor the Ohio Marc's 700\800 System at home and the G5 works 100%.Ohio Marc's and Cleveland is a P25 Phase-1 System and i only wish one day Unication will make a scanner like the pager THEN i feel all problems that scanners have will maybe LEARN how to make them better.i paid $660 for the pager and would NOT have a problem paying the EXTRA money for a scanner that works as good and the pager.Dave in Cleveland Ohio

troymail

Silent Key
Hello All,

After doing some research, I am considering purchasing a Unication G5. I know that they are some what new to the market, and before I drop close to $700, I'd like to hear from anyone who has one. I will be using it to monitor Baltimore/Harford's P25 system, as well as Harford UHF. Not sure if the tower locations will make a difference, but for the record, I live in Baltimore County. However, I have no problems picking up UHF on my Minitors.

Any feedback from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chris - I recently moved from Anne Arundel County -- the Unications are excellent for the simulcast systems in central (and expanding) Maryland. I highly recommend them for monitoring simulcast systems. Just remember, they aren't scanners and have limitations. Other than to overcome simulcast (and perhaps physical radio size), I'd stick with scanners.

See: http://forums.radioreference.com/ma...planning-new-radio-systems-5.html#post2863806

Let me know if you have any other questions....

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Just make sure they aren't on Phase 2. With no definite timeline for Phase 2 release, if the system you wish to monitor is on phase 2, it won't do you a bit of good in the meantime. Works awesome on phase 1 though.

And quit with the "They aren't scanners" stuff already, we know, we know. Neither are two way radios, but they work on the same principle for receiving audio, just with different features and workarounds.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
I don’t think there is anything wrong with a friendly reminder to the OP about the “they aren’t scanners stuff”. Especially if they are asking for opinions on the G5, then it’s worth mentioning in order to temper expectations. I know it’s been mentioned many many times, but not everyone has the time or energy to read every single post regarding the G5.

goodmore

I have one ordered since Christmas. The holidays and some Unification business have delayed it for a few weeks. I also just read the amplified chargers are on back order for a few months. I hear great things about their ability to handle distortion issues. I am not a fireman or and emergency responder. I just want to monitor with good equipment. I will say that the PPS software was intimidating at first, but with help here and Youtube videos I think I have it pretty well figured out. I will say again because it is quite funny to me that my TRX 2 has never sounded better since I ordered the G5. It either has some kind of intelligence or monitoring in super cold weather just works better for me.

kma371

QRT
Since this is Maryland forum, don't know if you care to receive reviews from other states...but I love my G5 here in California. I regularly listen to a 7 site/simulcast P25 system that covers 3 counties. Works great! Never an issue. Audio is always clean and can monitor systems even with weak signal control channels.

Def worth the price.

troymail

Silent Key
Just make sure they aren't on Phase 2. With no definite timeline for Phase 2 release, if the system you wish to monitor is on phase 2, it won't do you a bit of good in the meantime. Works awesome on phase 1 though.

And quit with the "They aren't scanners" stuff already, we know, we know. Neither are two way radios, but they work on the same principle for receiving audio, just with different features and workarounds.

Only Maryland FiRST (to include Kent, Queen Anne, Talbot, and Caroline) and Prince George County in Maryland are Phase 2 (right now). Worcester (I think) is coming online soon as Phase 2.... Carroll County has a few Phase 2 talkgroups but most of the things you want to monitor are Phase 1.

Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Harford (CMARC), JNCR (380), APG (380), BWI, St. Mary's, Frederick, Washington (UHF) are all Phase 1.

Regardless, I expect Unication Phase 2 capability will be released soon.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with a friendly reminder to the OP about the “they aren’t scanners stuff”. Especially if they are asking for opinions on the G5, then it’s worth mentioning in order to temper expectations. I know it’s been mentioned many many times, but not everyone has the time or energy to read every single post regarding the G5.

Thanks for agreeing -- many folks buy these radios (pagers) and then want alot of changes because they don't do what scanners do... if you buy one, don't expect them to change into a scanner.

Seriously - the Unication is great for simulcast -- other than that, you'll want a scanner.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It would be helpful if someone could list the G5's shortcomings as a 'scanner', rather than continuously repeating it's not a scanner.

A nice Pro's & Con's list would be great!

troymail

Silent Key
It would be helpful if someone could list the G5's shortcomings as a 'scanner', rather than continuously repeating it's not a scanner.

A nice Pro's & Con's list would be great!

PRO
  • P25 Simulcast reception can't be beat (Phase 1 only right now)
  • Two-tone paging - conventional or [some] P25 - (P25 alerting doesn't work on my system - NC VIPER/Brunswick County)
  • Nice display
  • Nice size/weight
  • Battery lasts a long time
  • Adding a good antenna like a RS 800 (vs. stock 7/800 antenna) can pull in some really distant systems

CON
  • No "on the fly" programming (bring your laptop)
  • No ability/option to mute encryption
  • No SKIP / lockout
  • No real ability to tell the radio to "move along, I don't care about this talkgroup"
  • Can only monitor a single control channel at a time (no multi-site or multiple system scanning)
  • Cannot mix scanning of P25 control channel and conventional frequencies.
  • G4 is only 700/800
  • G5 ($100 more) adds a band but you have to choose which one (VHF, 380, 400, 450)
  • conventional analog or P25 and/or P25 Phase 1 only (P25 trunking only - no Motorola, EDACS, LTR, DMR, NXDN, etc.)
  • Limit of 64 talkgroups per knob position/scanlist
  • Limit of 16 (?) conventional channels per knob/scanlist
  • Can't assign alpha tags to radio IDs
  • Programming software (PPS) isn't great - type, cut and paste - no import support for programming (except import of a full profile someone else already created in the PPS); all talkgroups for all systems in a single programming picklist
  • Does not work on EF Johnson P25 systems and/or systems that do not send bandplan/trunking table data in the control channel (still not sure why these don't work for sure)
  • No Phase 2 (yet) - upgrade option w/MSRP of $150 (hopefully less on the street)
  • Records, but only last 1000 individual voice calls (circular buffer)
  • No headphone jack, bluetooth only
  • Specialized battery pack

There's probably more ---

Last edited:

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I really like my G4. I can regularly receive Baltimore City, Baltimore County, & Harford County from my location in Northern Anne Arundel County.

I have utilized the G4 to monitor FiRST on AA, Balt, Queen Anne's, & Kent Sites when talkgroups switched to Phase I and it has down very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.