• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Issues with DMR Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the TYT MD 380 for scanning my local public safety DMR. It is no trunked or encrypted. I currently scan with DSD and SDR and it works perfectly. I got the MD 380 (VHF) so I could have something on the go. with the MD 380 software I have gotten the CC in of 14 per the radio reference website and I have that in "CC" then for the TG I have "1096" and have that in Contact Name in the program. everything else is set to None for the settings. They use slot 1 which I also have in. When they talk on DSD+ it decodes perfectly but I just see the green LED on the TYT 380 no audio ever! I have tried messing with the settings etc but nothing seems to work!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20.1 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You need to put the contact in a group list, then put that group list in the channel settings.

Contact specifies who you talk to (not applicable here) group list specifies who you will listen to.

You've told the radio you don't want to listen to anybody.

Still does not work... I added the TG of "1096" to a group list then changed the Group List on the channel settings to 1096 is the Group list I want to listen to. Anything else that could be messing with it?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.5 KB · Views: 377

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Also, check talkgroup ID for possible decimal / hexadecimal confusion somewhere.

bharvey2

I've never used my MD380 to monitor commercial or PS traffic but two things come to mind:

When you set up the talk group IDs did you list them under "Group Call", "Private Call" or "All Call"? I'd think it should be "Group Call".

Also, I noticed at the bottom of your screen capture that it says RAS. I'm not sure how radios incapable of handling RAS behave when monitoring RAS enabled systems so maybe this is the issue. Perhaps someone with experience with RAS enabled systems can weigh in.

mm

Trunked, trunked, trunked, trunked, trunked, trunked, trunked

not trucked, not trucked, not trucked, not trucked, not trucked.

Sorry I just found out today that my ancestors are from Normay not Norway and now I have to change the spelling on all of my coffee cups and such.

W2SJW

Database Admin
No radio outside of a Motorola unit properly programmed with the RAS key will decode this channel at all. An actual DMR radio cannot tell that the data contains voice traffic.

RAS alters a status bit in the frame headers that basically 'invalidates' the data stream as voice (it corrupts the checksum). DSD+ knows that specific frame header & ignores it for decoding purposes (and also shows you it's there).

Uniden scanner have maybe a 90% success rate trying to decode RAS-protected audio via scanning by talkgroup (Whistler units are close to 98%).

bharvey2

No radio outside of a Motorola unit properly programmed with the RAS key will decode this channel at all. An actual DMR radio cannot tell that the data contains voice traffic.

RAS alters a status bit in the frame headers that basically 'invalidates' the data stream as voice (it corrupts the checksum). DSD+ knows that specific frame header & ignores it for decoding purposes (and also shows you it's there).

Uniden scanner have maybe a 90% success rate trying to decode RAS-protected audio via scanning by talkgroup (Whistler units are close to 98%).

Scott, though I'm not the OP, thanks for the clarification on how RAS works. I figured it was something akin to what you described. (I as actually thinking it might be an additional bit or byte added somewhere in the data string that messed things up for the none RAS radios) Now I know. Thanks again for the clear description.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Hytera has something similar, but if DSD+ is showing the 'RAS' tag at the bottom, it's a Motorola system.

Status
Not open for further replies.