• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Impresions

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodmore

Premium Subscriber
I looked through the threads going back a few pages and just never saw a general impression thread. If this gets attached to another thread fine with me.

I received my G5 yesterday along with the charger/amplifier for my nightstand. While the pager itself is built very well and seems rugged the charger/amplifier seems a little on the cheaper build quality to me. The speaker is by no means meant to be played for the entire house. But the unit does allow an option for the use of my attic antenna and I can plug headphones into the external speaker jack. Only one side operates, but it does offer me private listening which pleases the wife. A Bluetooth option for headphones has been ordered from a link on this forum.

Over all I wish the pager included an instruction manual and not just a quick guide. Learn through doing is basically what it amounts to. This forum is your best source of info. As I was awaiting my pager in the mail I read quite a few posts here on the forum where people posted questions that seemed minor or dare I say easy to figure out from the instructions. Well let me just say there are no real instructions when it come to the pager itself. From taking off the belt clip to changing profiles it is as I said above a push the button and remember what happens thing.

My pager arrived with a firmware that would not let PPS program it. My dealer was right on top of the issue with an email containing a firmware flash link. My wife actually told me I had an email just as I received my first error message about programing the pager. It all fell in place for me, but the possibilities of confusion just keep me wondering what if.

As I listen to the pager which is scanning the EMS/fire dispatch channels of my local phase 1 trunking system I am really impressed that it works as well as it does. I can say that some of the transmissions that I thought were distortion on my TRX 2 were basically limitations of the phase 1 system itself. Some squeals and transmissions stepping on each other. Things like that.

It's all new to me. I just want to monitor good clean transmissions. As I get to know the ins and outs of the pager I'm sure it will offer more than I currently am aware of. Scanning what I want to scan with it is working well. I can't help but think that my encrypted police channels would be fun as hell to listen to with this pager. But as they said in the Conan movie.....That is another story!

troymail

Silent Key
Glad to hear things are going well. It is an excellent device for simulcast systems....

Question - I assume you are monitoring the Lancaster UHF system.... I am interested in this:

But the unit does allow an option for the use of my attic antenna

I am trying to determine what if any reception improvements are seen on other than 700/800 with the drop in charger(s)....and if it is worth getting one only for that purpose.

Have you found that the attic antenna improves reception for sites on the Lancaster system (or even UHF systems outside of Lancaster)?

Status
Not open for further replies.