• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Orion Provoice DSP With DES

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
*Not asking for software*

Anyone on the board have an Orion of any band with Options 14 and 29 (DES and Provoice) that can read out the DSP file with RadioMaint for me? I have tried unsuccessfully to locate this file and I’m down to just reading it out of a radio.

Thanks!

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
I removed the ability to 'read out' and archive Flashcode, ADI files and DSP files from the Radio Programmer programming software in 2004. RPM and RPM2 continue this. A Technical Service Memo (TSM) was issued on the dangers of reusing Firmware files and factory default test personality files in 2005 (Reference TSM 27-10).

DES, AES and VGE ADI and DSP files have US Government Export Restrictions on them. Most people have removed free download of these files from the public domain for this reason.

Last edited:

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Replicant Error

Here is the original source document I wrote in 2004 on Replicant Error. It is what TSM27-10 was derived from.

Everyone working with GE through Harris radios should read this short explanation on software, and the errors that can happen. And the simple technique to avoid this problem.

Mark C.

Last edited:

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Using Programmer 18 here. I would even be willing to buy a radio containing the needed DSP if that’s what it takes.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
The Orion product line reached EoL years ago. But, TAC should still give limited support.

As far as the DSP file, the encryption code file is classified as a "Munition" under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, no different than a bomb or firearm. This not only includes the actual file, but the documents (manuals, etc.) on the file.

If you contact them, and can provide proof of need, they will send it to you. But, given the stiff fines and penalties in the State Department's International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), people are wary about freely sharing files with others they do not personally know.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I don’t have a “NEED” other than that I want to run DES with my Provoice on my 12 year old unsupported radio. I will contact Harris but I’m sure I will be told to pound sand.

So that being said.. if anyone has the file they can send me, a PM would be much appreciated.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Do you have the provoice board in your radio? Yes, it's an option board in an orion. And, as I recall, though KB4CVN will be far more of an expert on this than I am, you must have the 512K version Orion for provoice to work, too.

The presence of option 29 in the radio feature list is not conclusive proof that the option board is in the radio.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
One other tid bit....

In addition to requiring a 512k Control/Logic board, older revisions of the 512k board required a couple of jumpers (I usually used 30ga wire-wrap size wire).

The last revision of 512k board incorporated these connections via circuit traces.

I have the Mod Manual if anyone needs it. Simple 10 minute job.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Thankfully all my command boards are late models with no need for jumpers.

Mark, you have been a tremendous help with this project and I would like to thank you for everything. Got my radio converted to Provoice with DES and all seems well. I won’t be able to really test it until I get it installed, but right now all appears well.

I guess my next question since I have gotten this far is whether or not you can be on a channel specified as Provoice using Key1 and turn encryption on/off with a button. Would this be the “Privacy” button function? I assigned “Privacy” to my emergency button on the control head but it doesn’t seem to do anything when I press it. Granted, I do not yet have any keys loaded.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Use the PVT button to toggle encryption on/off.

Don't forget to write a keypad file to the control head when you program it. It is a extra few steps and DOES NOT occur automatically. Otherwise, the revised (new) button mapping will never be implemented!

For selectable encryption to work, DIGITAL VOICE OPTIONS must be set to AUTOSELECT, not FORCED ON. If you receive a secure call, the button with the PVT function's LED will blink. If you PTT within a limited amount of time, your reply transmission will be secure. (Time value used for secure reply is the SCAN HANG TIMER value...) Wait too long, your reply will be in the clear. (This is why AUTOSELECT is rarely used, too dangerous with sensitive information!)

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Here is the DIGITAL VOICE PROGRAMMING GUIDE I wrote in 2001, which became the HELP SCREEN in the Digital Voice Options box.

It should prove helpful...

Now THAT is an outstanding document, very helpful.

I also did not know the button map had to be programmed into the radio. I assigned a PVT button but when on a digital channel and I press it I just keep a beep.. no light next to the key. Would that be because I don't have a key loaded yet?

RayAir

Now THAT is an outstanding document, very helpful.

I also did not know the button map had to be programmed into the radio. I assigned a PVT button but when on a digital channel and I press it I just keep a beep.. no light next to the key. Would that be because I don't have a key loaded yet?

Are you getting a KEY FAIL (if radio has display) message? If there is no key loaded or its been zeroed that tone is likely an indication of this.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Are you getting a KEY FAIL (if radio has display) message? If there is no key loaded or its been zeroed that tone is likely an indication of this.

Nope.. not getting the keyfail message. When I am on the Provoice channel and I press my button I have set to PVT I get a regular keypress tone (not the "bonk" error tone of an unprogrammed button).

Still trying to track down an appropriate keyloader.

RayAir

Nope.. not getting the keyfail message. When I am on the Provoice channel and I press my button I have set to PVT I get a regular keypress tone (not the "bonk" error tone of an unprogrammed button).

Still trying to track down an appropriate keyloader.

OK, probably it's nothing to worry about. If the radio has the means to accept a DES key the issue you're having when you press "PVT" is likely the absence of said key.

Hopefully you can find a key loader.

I've been trying to find a VGE key loader, even more rare.

Good luck with the radio. I've always thought ProVoice sounded good.

Status
Not open for further replies.