WS1088: Plugging in usb messes with reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
why when i plug mu usb from a wall outlet into my scanner it messes with the reception. With no plug usb plugged in i hear the weather crystal clear . Keeping the scanner in the same spot i put the usb plug in the side of it and i hear NO transmission at all ! what gives ?

boy7777777777

When I had that problem it was because the charger was emitting the interference. Bought a higher grade charger and have no problems now.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
RFI is a possibility, especially if using an antenna attached directly to the scanner.

A better quality USB power source is a good idea, and using a USB cord with ferrites may also be helpful.

boy7777777777

Can’t remember the brand. It’s an offbrand. The model number is ac10315. Got it off eBay. The unit doesn’t have its name on it. I found it. I.T.E.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I run my scanner off Anker USB chargers, and haven't had any RFI issues. I also use the factory USB cable, which has a ferrite to filter out RFI propagating down the cable.

BrianG61UK

It's also worth noting that the WS1088 must be off when the USB is connected or disconnected and when power to the charger is turned on or off. You can end up with a corrupted SD card is you don't do this, especially if you are doing any recordings.

Status
Not open for further replies.