SMA connector for SW longwire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Got my rtl-sdr dongle w/SDR# up and running on the VHF/UHF bands using a male SMA to BNC female jumper cable. Can anyone tell me what I should get to use it with a longwire antenna? A single SMA male and solder the wire in? Thanks

slicerwizard

FYI, you need to connect the balun to a good RF ground.

It sounds like you plan to have the longwire and balun right next to your dongle? Indoors? You might have to get creative with the grounding.

bharvey2

Post deleted - I missed the link to the balun above. I won't discount the proper grounding however.

Moose

Post deleted - I missed the link to the balun above. I won't discount the proper grounding however.

I'm in a garden style apt. building. Fortunately I'm on the 2nd floor with an access hatch to the attic where I mounted the long wire. Not sure what I can ground the balun to. I can't run any wires outside and there is
only a baseboard heater which uses hot water to heat the apartment.

bharvey2

I'm in a garden style apt. building. Fortunately I'm on the 2nd floor with an access hatch to the attic where I mounted the long wire. Not sure what I can ground the balun to. I can't run any wires outside and there is
only a baseboard heater which uses hot water to heat the apartment.

As slicerwizard pointed out, you may need to get creative. A hot water supply pipe isn't the best solution but it may be okay of the building is old enough. Cold water is usually better. If it's a newer, steel framed building then contact with the building frame may be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.