K.a.v.l 251.6000

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

Does anyone have record of KAVL approach using 251.6000? This morning, I am listening to inbound aircraft on 125.8000 on my BCD536. At the same time my TRX was doing a vhf hi band search. My TRX 2 stopped on 251.6000. The was a simulcast of the inbound craft on 125.8000 appearing on 251.6000. I have been monitoring this for over an hour, assorted private craft, non military. I am aware of the multi band use of vhf low and hi, the reason I am asking is that my logs only show a VACAPES South out of Cherry Point M.C.A.S. for 251.6000 There is no listing for KAVL using the frequency in RR or on a ULS search. Just curious, could be an I.F. issue, but this doesn't have that sound to it.

I've been listening more before I sent this. The simulcast nature has died out completely. The inbound are calling "Asheville Approach" on 125.8000, which is correct..for now I will call this an I.F. glitch, but my gut is telling me it is a new use. Anyone else?

trumpetman

Database Admin
If you're hearing a general aviation craft (something that won't have a UHF radio) coming across both frequencies then it's 99% an image, the other 1% can probably be crossed off with a little math. 125.800 x 2 = 251.600. Isn't harmonics wonderfully annoying.

spacellamaman

don't feel too bad

I've had that sort of thing happen so often, usually causing much time wasting thereafter, that i have a new rule i follow as often as i can remember

if i find some new/mystery frequency in use, and it is a 200mhz anything, first thing i do is divide by 2.

118-137
x2
236-274

2 examples of freqencies that have caused me a bit of trouble:

245.95 FM= 122.975AM

private airport CTAF close enough to my house that landing pilots transmitting come through clear as a bell, even when set to FM, which was the modulation when I "found" this mystery satellite freq. The time wasted trying to find a SatCom channel list with this freq was nearly enough to swear me off from ever bothering with MilSat ever again.

256.65= 128.325 CLT App

due to my inability to remember this one and my difficulty expunging it from all scanners/lists therein, and its wide ranging geographical areas of use, this one is still a thorn in my side

Each case was solved only due to the context of the traffic, clearly civil pilots. this made the situation with 245.95 a real nightmare. unless the signal is really strong, its quite difficult understanding context when the modulation is wrong (interestingly brand and model of scanner is a factor too). i eventually got suspicious and punched in 245.95 AM immediately beside 245.95 FM so a quick toggle could be done when something was picked up. this took months to be resolved even so.

what really bothers me is...the possibility of a harmonic that involves a number other than a 2. i dunno what others lurk as potentially problematic, and not sure if i want to know.

Tho i will ask anyway. Any thoughts on other possible harmonics trumpetman? Anyone?

AlphaFive

KAVL

Thanks for taking the time for a reply, appreciate it. Just moved closer to K.A.V.L. than I was, so what you are referring to is just now being found. The info is helpful, and I'll darn shur keep it in mind. Take care.

AlphaFive

KAVL

You all were right on the image. Just landed on 130.450, strange hopping sat tones. Went to 260.9000, it's there, NORAD use. Haa. I also forgot to throw in here, when I moved I went to two mounted outdoor discones, as opposed to an attic array. Big difference, in a good way. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.