Deschutes County law enforcement unions have filed a complaint over radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker845

Deschutes County law enforcement , didn't even really do much testing on the state system last i checked. They moved on to the system without doing few months of testing. They can only blame there dept heads. Testing should of been done for few months to work out issues that they stated in the news article.

Last edited:

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for sharing the article!

Aaaand... I'm sure nobody ever saw this coming. <sarcasm> :twisted:

Sure hope they get it all figured out. Sounds like a total SNAFU.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Knew it! No way, a Harris digital system behaving poorly? Guess they didn't learn their lesson after Las Vegas Police dumped them after their crappy DesertSky system sucked so bad. It was such garbage that they got rid of Harris and Motorola came in and installed a P25 Phase II system that works. Back when the state announced Harris had won the contract I knew something like this was going to happen.

Lane County has been using P25 in Eugene for years. Albany, Corvallis, Linn County, Benton County using the same system too. Multnomah County's P25 sounds great on a Unication. Probably work because they are not Harris systems.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Knew it! No way, a Harris digital system behaving poorly? Guess they didn't learn their lesson after Las Vegas Police dumped them after their crappy DesertSky system sucked so bad. It was such garbage that they got rid of Harris and Motorola came in and installed a P25 Phase II system that works. Back when the state announced Harris had won the contract I knew something like this was going to happen.

Lane County has been using P25 in Eugene for years. Albany, Corvallis, Linn County, Benton County using the same system too. Multnomah County's P25 sounds great on a Unication. Probably work because they are not Harris systems.
Broad brushing much? I use a Harris Phase-2 system daily. Aside from one outage that had nothing to do with the Harris equipment (weather-related damage to a satellite backhaul), it's performed flawlessly.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
You can't blame Harris for Open Sky, they inherited that mess when they bought out Macom. Same for NY State, Penn State, and many others. Harris did try from reports to correct and offered discount P-25 systems to owners of OS. You can't make a system designed for data in many ways (Fed Ex) work on voice.
Also what sounds like poor planing on the part of the county doesn't make a system bad or good.

This is the most damning part of the whole article:

"He said the radio system was not properly configured by the provider, Harris, and the county put in several requests with the Florida firm but has had trouble getting a response."

Baker845

Poor planning by local LE heads, as in they should of had people in there depts or radio techs driving around and testing the system for few months, to make sure there radio's where configured right and fix any issues in the testing phase. I heard Lane,Linn and Benton county do radio testing on there system before moving over to there Uhf/700 mhz system. Even Coos,Douglas and Lincoln counties even tho they are on Vhf system's, when they up graded they were testing there new radio system's before moving over.

kd7jfv

Database Admin
Update by KTVZ Deschutes 911 wrestling with radio problems fix - KTVZ

And Bend Bulletin's update: http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/5967402-151/problems-continue-with-new-police-radio

It appears value-based engineering and not conforming to the original engineering plan have contributed to the problems.

Here is a link to the Deschutes Commissioners Meeting agenda, hopefully they'll have video or minutes available at some point... But that might be encrypted too ;-(
https://deschutescountyor.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=14&ID=1786&Inline=True

Last edited:

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
Interesting they mention the west side. Listening to the techs yesterday, they had nothing but constant problems with the east side, due to the "shadow" of Pilot Butte.

Baker845

Well its all sad news, but that's why you spend month doing testing. So if issue come up, you can fix them before moving units to system.

mikepdx

Tower$, tower$ and more tower$ until it works

Deschutes County law enforcement unions have filed a complaint over radios

It's nothing a few more towers and a few more $million can't solve.

ki7fk

It looks there is a bit of activity related to this on 860.9375 MHz. Although I am seeing P25 on this control channel, the frame type is LDU1/LDU2 rather than TSDU. Not exactly sure what that means. NAC is 293. It is interesting that an audible tone is also included on this frequency. Probably for testing purposes.

ki7fk

It looks there is a bit of activity related to this on 860.9375 MHz. Although I am seeing P25 on this control channel, the frame type is LDU1/LDU2 rather than TSDU. Not exactly sure what that means. NAC is 293. It is interesting that an audible tone is also included on this frequency. Probably for testing purposes.

In fact, DSD+ is not able to decode the channel if the audio tone is not present. Interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.