Hills PV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rbp1414

Premium Subscriber
Looks like provoice channels on the EDACS system are now E. Can anyone confirm?

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Over the past two days, I've noticed a grand total of one as I have traveled in and out of the county.

CanesFan95

Listening to 10-073 in the clear right now. But hearing 02-022 and 02-033 both ENC right now too. :mad: :eek:

I believe 10-xxx talk groups are Tampa PD and 02-xxx is the Sheriff.

CanesFan95

Here's a couple more I just picked up:

03-043 Clear
10-023 Clear
02-067 Clear
02-030 ENC
03-045 ENC.

This kinda sucks, dog.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Well, sounds like street crimes (SES) monitoring is over with.

New sheriff, new encryption I guess.

CanesFan95

Major bummer. For quite a few years now, it's always been our dirty little secret that we could still monitor their ProVoice. This is concerning with the Phase 2 system (whenever they finally switch to it).

We've actually been lucky in this area with not a lot of encryption compared to other parts of the state.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I was worried this was going to happen sooner than later with HCSO. Heard a conversation where one unit was ENC and the units in the clear were complaining. Nice radio system management there.

I'm surprised they haven't went Provoice ENC all the way, to be honest. They're a pain to obtain public information from in a timely manner. I'm going to get some people involved to make sure it doesn't get worse.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Get what people and how do you "make sure" it doesn't get worse?

The media. They have a vested interest in monitoring. See the thread when Clearwater PD went all ENC. Media complaints were a big part of keeping at least dispatch channels in the clear. Frankly government agencies don’t care about complaints from little people like us on an Internet forum.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Tarpon Springs PD calls can be monitored in realtime on the Pinellas SO CAD and the media doesn't care about buses...

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
The media. They have a vested interest in monitoring. See the thread when Clearwater PD went all ENC. Media complaints were a big part of keeping at least dispatch channels in the clear. Frankly government agencies don’t care about complaints from little people like us on an Internet forum.

I have asked 3 police chiefs in the past few years why they favor encryption and each time the answer was: "We don't want media (or hobbyists) showing up to the scene."

Last edited:

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I have asked 3 police chiefs in the past few years why they favor encryption and each time the answer was: "We don't want media (or hobbyists) showing up to the scene."

Tell me something I don't know. Law enforcement has been trying to subtly put their influence media coverage for some time. They like to have the upper hand when it comes to putting out information that THEY deem newsworthy.

However, this is America where we have a free press that keeps government officials accountable and report on matters of public interest, especially law enforcement activities. Radio traffic is the only source of realtime information when it comes to public safety news.

And to add to everyone, I'm not sure why all the push back here. I'm on your side. However, unlike others, I'm actually trying to do something versus all the useless moaning that goes around on this forum. If you have another solution or something that has worked in the past, please, share with the class.

CanesFan95

This is very cool to have a news person on here who is into radio stuff. We just have to hope they don't do anything stupid on P25.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
This is very cool to have a news person on here who is into radio stuff. We just have to hope they don't do anything stupid on P25.

That’s what I’m hoping to avoid. I think the street crimes comms is a losing battle but I hope we can keep all the dispatch channels open. There’s a yearly meeting between public safety agencies and Tampa area media and I’m going to make sure this is a topic of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.