Scanners in car

Status
Not open for further replies.

de784

Feed Provider
I know this has been posted a while back. I have a question though I know it's legal to Have a scnner in a vehicle unless you are committing a crime. So if you get pulled over for a traffic violation does that become a crime. With a scanner in a car. I saw some posts about scanners being taken away by pd

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
This topic has been discussed at great length in many threads.

In your example, the scanner is not being used to commit a crime, its merely in the car.

That said, there has been a lot said about New York laws which appear to be very restrictive. Here in California it is different. I was stopped for a burnt out headlight and the officer asked me about my radio equipment. I told him I was a ham radio operator and part of ARES. He thanked me for my involvement in emergency communications and didn't give me a fixit ticket.

State laws vary a great deal. Getting local info in essential.

At the same time, federal law governs radio in this country and it not very restrictive. Encrypted communications and cell phone calls are an obvious exception. So this should override more restrictive local laws and that would be a good argument assuming you had the time and money to pursue the matter in federal court. You don't.

Bottom line know the law in your locale and don't take chances.

CastorLB

Premium Subscriber
In NJ, the vast majority of motor vehicle violations are not considered offenses or crimes (NJs version of misdemeanors and felonies) so you'd be just fine. Try not to commit insurance fraud, title fraud, have fraudulent documents, kill someone while operating, drive suspended because of a DWI or leave the scene of a crash involving serious injury or death (List isn't all inclusive but you get the idea). Those are the only motor vehicle related crimes that immediately come to mind.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Much of this varies from State to State. Here is a list of States where it is illegal to have a Police Scanner in your vehicle. It also shows States that restrict Police Scanner use in the furtherance of a crime. Interestingly enough, 40 States do not appear to have laws against using a Police Scanner to help commit a crime.
https://www.zipscanners.com/resources/are-police-scanners-legal/

In another odd twist, Delaware appears to be the only State I am aware of that bans the use of CB radios in a vehicle.
http://forums.radioreference.com/de...ware-really-illegal-vehicles.html#post2869328

Pyro658

Communications Dispatcher
To answer this age old question:

I know this has been posted a while back. I have a question though I know it's legal to Have a scnner in a vehicle unless you are committing a crime. So if you get pulled over for a traffic violation does that become a crime. With a scanner in a car. I saw some posts about scanners being taken away by pd

When it refers to a crime, it involves anything in the NJ title 2C codes. This is the criminal code for the state of new jersey.

If you commit an offense in the Title 39 code, which is motor vehicle code for NJ, that is not what the scanner law is referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.