TRX2 - Why is my scanner doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypersight

I'm having a strange problem with my TRX2. Every once in a while when I turn on the unit it will ask me to set the band plan, just like it does when you turn it on for the very first time just after you bought it. After I set the band plan (Canada) it boots up normally, but I lose all my settings such as my custom Welcome Text, Beep volume, blink times, etc etc. However all my objects, systems, and scanlists I previously programmed remain intact.

So I remove the sd card and use the Whistler software to program all my settings and Welcome text again, save it to the card and put it back in my scanner. After doing this, everything is fine for a few days, and then bingo - it happens again!

Anybody have an idea what is causing this?

I have scanned the card for any errors and even reformatted it. I'm using the card that came with the scanner. I've had this scanner for a year now and this just started happening in the last few weeks.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
SD cards have a limited number of write cycles they can withstand before they fail. If you record with your scanner, or use it in such a way that it frequently writes data to the card, it can wear the card out fairly rapidly.

A new card is probably in order. There are "high endurance" cards available designed to withstand more write cycles before failure.

BrianG61UK

I had a Kingston SD card that made my WS1088 do this ever so often.

I switched to a black class 4 Sandisk card and it stopped doing it.

The faster half grey half red Sandisk cards don't work so well.

hypersight

Guys, thank you very much for the replies. Sounds like I need a new card. I'll run out and grab a Sandisk card this weekend and see how it goes.

And yes jonwienke, I have it setup to record everything, so the card is probably just about done. :)

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
It happens to me when there have been sudden power loses. It scrabbled something in the card. Everything else is the same but settings are reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.