Antennae

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetTech

My trx is getting little or no reception in Houston Tx. Would getting an outdoor antennae improve reception or should I send my radio back? I have tried everything to fix it.
Loren

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
I checked the database and it looks like Houston is operating on the Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) (P25). It shows several sites for Houston and Harris County and they are simulcast sites so that may be your problem. Make sure you have the correct sites programmed in and if so you would probably get more help if you posted your question in the Texas state forum.

k5xs

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of variables here, but in many cases an outdoor will make a huge difference.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of variables here, but in many cases an outdoor will make a huge difference.
In some cases, that is true. However, my TRX-1 suffers from overload and becomes less sensitive due to the large number of cell towers in my vicinity. As simmsrep noted, most agencies in the Houston metro area are on the TxWARN P25 system, with multiple sites, many of which are indeed simulcast.
My trx is getting little or no reception in Houston Tx. Would getting an outdoor antennae improve reception or should I send my radio back? I have tried everything to fix it.
Loren
I suspect you may be getting too much signal, and/or suffering from simulcast distortion. I'm not in Houston, but there are a number of members from that area. To help you isolate the issue, as well as possibly suggest what you need to do, it would be helpful to know your general location within the city. Maybe a major highway junction, or other landmark in the area, might be of help. Also, please indicate which agencies you are trying to monitor. Houston PD &/or FD? One or more of the suburbs? Harris County agencies?

Also, are you trying to scan based on just your location? Or have you created a scanlist in E-Z Scan.

PetTech

I live on the east side of Houston (Northshore, Cloverlead area), Beltway 8 between I10 and Wallisville. I had my radio programmed for all of Harris County and HPD. I have not created a scan list because I thought the preprogramming was enough. Pretty new to this whole thing.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.