• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to factory reset MD-9600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w7rd

Hi,
I did a firmware upgrade on my TYT MD-9600 today and made the terrible mistake (in the half-English .doc file) of running a "frequency setting" program first. Well this completely hosed the bottom band. Now it just says unprogrammed and is useless thanks to their directions. I should have just run the update and been done with it. At this point though, I think my only hope is a factory reset to clear out all that junk. I can't figure out any other way to revive this paperweight.

I've searched lots of forums but never seen anyone mention how to do this ... does anyone know how to reset the unit to factory defaults?

Thanks and 73s,
Steve - W7RD

ipfd320

Banned
did you try to get u the mic keys....im not familiar with that model im just taking a guess----anything in manual??---if i see something ill set it up here sorry to hear the troubles

w7rd

Resetting the MD-9600

Well actually I was somehow able to revive it. I'm not sure what I did but it started working again :) Now what I'm dealing with an MD-2017 that's going back to HRO because an upgrade attempt left it in permanent firmware upgrade mode (flashing red/green.) I don't know what the problem is with that thing but I've spent enough time on it. I deserve a refund. :)

Thanks for your help!
Steve

ipfd320

Banned
Maybe try this

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blo...the_tyt_md-2017_to_store_100000_contacts.aspx

*********************************************************************************************************************

What you need:

*TYT MD-2017 dual band radio

*Firmware V3.33 bin

*V1.17 programming software

*Firmware launcher/installer

*Programming cable

*********************************************************************************************************************

*(Note)*: Microsoft Excel is Currently Required to be Installed on the PC for the Import of Contacts to Work.

*Step 1: Save the correct firmware version to your desktop. In the case of the early release radios, it is V3.33 bin (non GPS)

*Step 2: Double click on the "FirmwareDownloadV3.04_EN.exe" link

*Step 3: Under the "User Program" section, click on "Open file upgrade". This is where you will find the file you saved to your desktop.

*Step 4: Plug the programming cable in to your radio and the USB in to your computer. With the radio powered off, hold down the PTT and orange button and power the radio on. The screen will remain black but the LED light on top will flash red and green. You are now in firmware update mode.

*Step 5: Write the firmware to the radio. To do this, click on the "Download file of upgrade" button. Your radio will now begin to receive the updated firmware. Once the download is complete, power the radio off and unplug the cable from the radio.

*Step 6: Open the V1.17 software and plug the cable back into the radio. If you have a current code plug, the contacts that are in that will remain. This is important for your talkgroups.

*Step 7: Click on the "Program" dropdown and select "Write contacts". A box will open with available buttons "Read, Write, Export, Import, and Cancel".

*Step 8: If you already have a list, you will want to click the "Import" button. After you do this, select the list and import it to the software. The only notification you will get is if it was successful or not. You will not see these in your regular contact list.

*Step 9: Once you get the notification that the import was successful, you will now want to power the radio on and hit the "Write button". The process will now begin. Upload times depend on the number of contacts. With the 64,000+ contacts I uploaded, it took about 5 minutes. Be patient and do not power the radio off!

*Step 10: Once the download is complete, power the radio off and then back on again. Next is the most important step: You will need to go into your menu for the radio, click > utilities > radio settings > ContactsCSV, and turn it on.

Now your radio should be good to go! I think there are a few little things I would like for TYT to fix, but for the most part this is pretty awesome!! I like the display on it. It has the look of a pretty well-known firmware hack from the MD-380 days.

I installed this on my MD-2017 a few weeks ago and have been using it ever since. I also released my csv file containing over 64,000 contacts.

As always, my sales staff and I appreciate each and every one of our customers. We will continue to support you and the products we sell!

Anthony R.
Sales Manager
www.buytwowayradios.com

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Well actually I was somehow able to revive it. I'm not sure what I did but it started working again :) Now what I'm dealing with an MD-2017 that's going back to HRO because an upgrade attempt left it in permanent firmware upgrade mode (flashing red/green.) I don't know what the problem is with that thing but I've spent enough time on it. I deserve a refund. :)

Thanks for your help!
Steve

If you did the Factory software suggestion about resetting the frequency ranges, that will cause your codeplug not to work. Use that factory software and reset the radio to UHF 400 to 480MHz and VHF to 136 to 174 MHz. Assuming that is what you used when you did the codeplug.

The FACTORY software program will let you set the serial number in the radio unlike the CPS

SO basically, just use the factory software to reset the FREQ ranges to what you had before and it should correct the issue.

Current firmware 5.005 and current CPS is 1.22 for the MD 9600

N1UB

Premium Subscriber
If you did the Factory software suggestion about resetting the frequency ranges, that will cause your codeplug not to work. Use that factory software and reset the radio to UHF 400 to 480MHz and VHF to 136 to 174 MHz. Assuming that is what you used when you did the codeplug.

The FACTORY software program will let you set the serial number in the radio unlike the CPS

SO basically, just use the factory software to reset the FREQ ranges to what you had before and it should correct the issue.

Current firmware 5.005 and current CPS is 1.22 for the MD 9600

I realize that this post is almost a year old, but I have a brand new MD9600 that is having a similar problem. It seems to be stuck in UHF only mode, that's what it says when reading the radio with CPS v1.22. Could you explain about how to set the freq. range ? and what is the "factory software" is it the firmware ? Thanks in advance, I've spent the past 2 days trying to get this radio to work.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I realize that this post is almost a year old, but I have a brand new MD9600 that is having a similar problem. It seems to be stuck in UHF only mode, that's what it says when reading the radio with CPS v1.22. Could you explain about how to set the freq. range ? and what is the "factory software" is it the firmware ? Thanks in advance, I've spent the past 2 days trying to get this radio to work.

TYT released software called Factory all while back in an effort to set the radio ranges within the HAM bands, if you had things programed outside that the codeplug wouldn't work. ie MURS, FRS. You might find it on the TYT site. I'll see if I can find it.

N1UB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, you probably saw the other post I replied to, I'm not the only one with this problem.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I found it in a file called md9600103.zip if you can locate that on TYT's site. It is called TYT9600 Factory v2.014

eaf1956

Feed Provider
That worked ! I can't thank you enough, I've been working on this thing for 2 days now !
It's bundled in a bunch of other software for anyone else looking for it.
http://www.tyt888.com/uploadfile/upfiles/20180104085725.rar
it's called MD9600 firmware 2018 jan 03, I had to go online and find a program to open the .rar files, but there's free ones out there.

No problem, glad you got things working...

Status
Not open for further replies.