KCAL-9 Scanner Hounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
This brings up the Netflix series called "Shot in the Dark". Lots of scanner action there and in the pilot episode they mention the use of encryption in Venice.

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
Funny how he doesn't mention anyone in orange county giving him information. Guess once oc went encrypted he gave up.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

PaulNDaOC

Funny how he doesn't mention anyone in orange county giving him information. Guess once oc went encrypted he gave up.

They are not necessarily totally in the dark at KCBS/KCAL as far as OC law enforcement monitoring goes.
. \
Recognized media are able to have receive only radios, purchased at their own expense.

But the copter reporter's groupie's are out of luck..

SparkyTheWonderPom

Banned
OC encryption

The "Red" and "AirCall" channels are not encrypted, "in the clear".

Also, Fire is not (yet, anyway) encrypted.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
That story left out that LACountyScanner uses his twitter account to post verbatim dispatch calls, which will only encourage (or give a good excuse for) LE in LA County to go full boat encryption.

It's one thing to report on an incident.

It's something else to report the exact discussion a dispatcher and officers are having, including the surveillance ops on the LAPD Tac channels.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
That story left out that LACountyScanner uses his twitter account to post verbatim dispatch calls, which will only encourage (or give a good excuse for) LE in LA County to go full boat encryption.

It's something else to report the exact discussion a dispatcher and officers are having, including the surveillance ops on the LAPD Tac channels.

We have a local FaceBook group here in Ventura County with members that do the exact same thing. Word for word what the officers and Dispatchers are saying. Same on Medical calls. Call them out for it and we are crapping on their hobby. Their hobby isnt going to be around much longer if they keep it up.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I saw this story when it first aired on TV a couple of months ago. These scanner hounds mainly monitor everything in LA that is still in the clear. These hounds stay mainly in LA and the surrounding areas.

The hounds don't have a fighting chance in The OC area. Aircall and RED will not keep them ever busy since everything is locked down. As far as the standard across the board in OC nobody gets radios even including the media. Riverside Co has a radio rental program for the media but not in OC. Probably never going to happen either.

When LA finally gets caught up in the next 5 years or so things are drastically going to change. These agencies are eventually going to lock out these people. Do I agree no but keep it on the down low and don't flaunt it.

OC has never made a single Twitter user "give up", as OC has been encrypted since long before there ever was a Twitter. Back when OC went encrypted, phones still slipped open, and dial-up was still a thing.

PaulNDaOC

This is a real dicey area, as there is the right to know. But as many of you know, police investigation files are not public record and for good reason.

With that in mind, information disseminated on twitter verbatim could cause issues, that are exacerbated by retweets and a great search function. For example it should be investigators deciding that something like a license plate from a crime go public, since it may aid in arresting a suspect if he/she were not spooked by knowing police have a better idea of the precise car driven if stolen or identity if registered owner.

There will certainly be issues at times if for example there was a BOLO on a suicidal person. This push the subject even further towards the edge, or tarnish a person's reputation.

In my area, there is a huge car racer issue,that has steadily worsened to the point where recently a crowd of 300 took over an intersection at Valley View/ Alondra for over ten minutes and racers showed off for the crowd. I would not want tweets on this the next time there is a directed patrol mission to crackdown as these guys live and die on social media.

If LA Scanner wants to state there is a pursuit, double shooting with location, a fire, no problem, just keep it general unless the authorities are asking for the public's assistance.

This is a real dicey area, as there is the right to know. But as many of you know, police investigation files are not public record and for good reason.

With that in mind, information disseminated on twitter verbatim could cause issues, that are exacerbated by retweets and a great search function. For example it should be investigators deciding that something like a license plate from a crime go public, since it may aid in arresting a suspect if he/she were not spooked by knowing police have a better idea of the precise car driven if stolen or identity if registered owner.

There will certainly be issues at times if for example there was a BOLO on a suicidal person. This push the subject even further towards the edge, or tarnish a person's reputation.

In my area, there is a huge car racer issue,that has steadily worsened to the point where recently a crowd of 300 took over an intersection at Valley View/ Alondra for over ten minutes and racers showed off for the crowd. I would not want tweets on this the next time there is a directed patrol mission to crackdown as these guys live and die on social media.

If LA Scanner wants to state there is a pursuit, double shooting with location, a fire, no problem, just keep it general unless the authorities are asking for the public's assistance.

Interesting point. At the same time, there are links on this website that direct to actual, real-time audio (Broadcastify). To say nothing of the fact that if any one of those 300 persons you mentioned had half a clue, they could simply purchase their own scanner and listen in. Again, there is certainly enough information here, and on hundreds of other sites, including how-to videos on YouTube, that a novice could figure out pretty quickly how to program their scanner to hear what it is they want.

I don't disagree that there should be an amount of discretion as to what hits Twitter. But on the same token, thinking Twitter is the issue is a bit disingenuous given all the other methods by which someone can obtain the exact same information.

I feel like a little background information is necessary.

Back on June 2015, I founded the @LACoScan Twitter account; one of the three accounts that were featured on the program. January of 2017, I relocated to the east coast, and handed the account over to Jay, the individual who was featured on the program. Since my former account, the account I created, was discussed on this forum, I thought perhaps it might be helpful to share what my thoughts were when I dove into the Twitter universe.

The idea of creating a Twitter account for the sharing of scanner information was certainly not original. In fact, it was after discovering several other accounts, that I decided to open my own. My focus here is on Los Angeles, but similar accounts can be found for just about every city and in every state. This is especially true for large metropolitan areas.

When I opened the account, I decided my focus would be on events that could be considered "newsworthy". Several of the other accounts blasted out whatever it was they heard; I decided to keep to the following general list:

Pursuits
Brush fires
Large commercial building fires
Shootings
Officer involved shootings
Anything unusual, which was a catchall for something like a plane crash, for example.

At the same time, I decided I would always omit tactical information. For example, the locations of officers, a sniper on a roof, etc. None of that would hit Twitter through my account.

So those were my thoughts going into Twitter, and I kept to those throughout the entire time I had the account.

Marcotor pointed out that the account currently posts verbatim calls. Fair point! But at the same time, this very site directs to links that provide real-time audio. Sites such as YouTube host after-the-fact videos of broadcast feeds after a major incident (the Las Vegas shooting certainly comes to mind). To say nothing of the fact that with the plethora of information available here, and on hundreds of other sites, in addition to how-to videos posted on YouTube, a complete novice can purchase their own scanner and be up and running pretty quickly. For those reasons, I think the focus on Twitter is a bit disingenuous. Should discretion be used? Absolutely! But to their other point of "LE in LA County to go full boat encryption", I personally don't think an agency needs much prodding to go encrypted. This is especially true (in my own opinion) if the agency is already upgrading their system and/or has the ability to go encrypted. Motorola is certainly using that as a selling point, with their focus being on "terrorism", and criminality in general. In fact, the rollout really began in LA when ICIS started expanding their user network, and suddenly agencies such as Covina, Pomona, Pasadena, and others flipped the switch. And, I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but it won't be too long before LA County, and LA City follow suit. Who knows how that will ultimately play out, but the systems are going into place.

Which brings me to my next point regarding encryption. Again, in my own personal opinion, this issue has not been fully vetted with regards to the legality of encrypting radio traffic. This is because a case has not made its way through the entire court system. Currently, as we all know, numerous agencies encrypt their radio transmissions. And as many others point out, there could be a constitutional argument to be made against it. But since a good chunk of major metropolitan areas have yet to go encrypted (Los Angeles, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, etc), I don't think the issue has been fully tested in the court systems yet. It is my belief that once major cities become off-limits to the local media, we will begin to see such cases play out, and the courts to begin issuing rulings on the subject.

That's my two cents. Everyone have a nice afternoon.

PaulNDaOC

I'm not sure most criminals could figure out how to program, operate, , then figure out what they are hearing on today's scanner, gerrymandering jurisdictions. This is not within their paygrade. There are a few exceptions, and when that does occur and they get caught, I always cringe as an owner of several scanners.

When I watch pursuit termination, there is little question in my mind that these fools are that 99 percent would have the IQ or knowledge to get to step one.

The exception would be rare.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.