• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Sites VS. Control Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
In the PSS software, what is the point of having the ability to have multiple sites, if you can't assign control Channels per site? I see that site #1 appears to be the preferred (top priority?) site, so the G4/5 looks first to this site ID, but I'm missing something here....why aren't specific control channels tied to a given site?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
It works the same as programming a trunked system in a Motorola radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
It works the same as programming a trunked system in a Motorola radio.

OK, so I'm probably coming too much from the scanner world here, but then what is the point of entering control channels if the reference point is site ID?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The reference point is the control channel. The device has to find an active control channel to read the site info off of the control channel. Essentially the control channel list is scanned for an active channel. If one is found it reads the info to discover the site ID. Now, whether or not it pull the adjacent channel info from the control channel list or over the air I couldn’t tell you.

troymail

Silent Key
In the PSS software, what is the point of having the ability to have multiple sites, if you can't assign control Channels per site? I see that site #1 appears to be the preferred (top priority?) site, so the G4/5 looks first to this site ID, but I'm missing something here....why aren't specific control channels tied to a given site?

Not sure I understand the issue you are speaking of....

For a trunk system, unless using wildcards, you essentially identify the "sites" using the RFSS and site values. The list of possible control channel frequencies simply tells the radio to "try these". In fact, you don't need to supply exact lists of frequencies at all - you could get the same result (more or less) but enabling spectrum scan and letting the radio find a frequency that is broadcasting an RFSS and site that meets your programmed requirements.

FWIW - most times, I create a (primary) system configuration that contains all of the required values (WACN, SysID, RFSS, sites, and frequencies. I'll then (most times) create several "standalone systems" that contain only the values for the individual sites that I want to be able to have positive control over (i.e. select the site of my choice vs. letting the radio choose for me).

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
OK, instead of having multiple sites, you could just have the control channels for those sites all under one site.

OR...

You could just have the separate sites with their corresponding ID's, (no control channels needed) and then use spectrum search.

Or...

I could use troymail's idea and break sites into systems for maximum control, which I really like the sound of...

So there is no point in having multiple sites, and then then putting control channels for all sites under the one (parent) system.

Correct?

troymail

Silent Key
OK, instead of having multiple sites, you could just have the control channels for those sites all under one site.
Only if your use wildcards for the RFSS and site

OR...

You could just have the separate sites with their corresponding ID's, (no control channels needed) and then use spectrum search.

Or...
It will work - maybe not the optimal method....
I could use troymail's idea and break sites into systems for maximum control, which I really like the sound of...

So there is no point in having multiple sites, and then then putting control channels for all sites under the one (parent) system.

Correct?
Not necessarily -- depends on how you want to control the sites that the radio checks for... If you want to limit the sites to use, you must provide specific RFSS and site IDs... I suppose you could use a real RFSS value and wildcard for the site --

Point being - there are lots of variations you can try... depends on what you are trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.