Opinions?: ProScan vs ARC536PRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4gps

Anyone own both of these software packages ? Which do you prefer and why ? Will be used with a BCD536HP of course and not too sure if I will be dedicating a PC to it or not yet.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I vote for ProScan. It has more robust remote monitoring and control functions, and can be used as a server that relays the feed from the scanner to anyone with a web browser, either on the LAN or internet. Audio quality is excellent if you use the Wi-Fi connection. ProScan also supports many scanner models, rather than requiring you to buy a separate version for each model.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Anyone own both of these software packages ? Which do you prefer and why ? Will be used with a BCD536HP of course and not too sure if I will be dedicating a PC to it or not yet.

Bob will give you better support for ProScan. And BTW I do have both!

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I only have 1 Butel product it is for my Uniden 785D but Proscan does all the my Butel does plus records audio tone Trunking TG's and UID's of all my scanners I am running 10 copies of PROSCAN on a computer recording and logging all data on all 10 scanners running on my desktop plus I have remote client connections open to all 10 plus you get 2 licenses to run on 2 different computers and can add more if you wish. Also 1 licensee is running all 10 scanners on the same computer.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber

I have both and if you're wanting to use it for programming go with ARC536PRO. ARC536PRO allows you to program your x36HP using RadioReferece database.

ProScan does NOT have database support for the x36HP scanners, never did. . So you cannot program your x36HP using RadioReference database. You'll have to use something else like Sentinel .

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
ProScan does NOT have database support for the x36HP scanners, never did. . So you cannot program your x36HP using RadioReference database. You'll have to use something else like Sentinel .

I'm not really sure if that's really correct. ProScan doesn't have the Sentinel HPDB support, granted. However ProScan does have RadioReference Database support. RRDB importing requires a RR subscription thou or the Get Clipboard function to import freqs and tgid's doesn't require a subscription. Also ProScan can import from the Sentinel HPDB without a RR subscription.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Only Sentinel will update the x36 Main Database, and will do so from RR through Uniden, without a RR subscription. But the Main Database only covers the USA and Canada.

ProScan and other software import data directly from RR into a Favorite List if you have a RR subscription. You have to pay for this option, but you can get data from countries not covered by for free via Sentinel.

It would be nice if ProScan could edit the Main Database, so you could change the default 2-second Delay setting, default trunked systems to ID SEARCH instead of ID SCAN, and suchlike.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I have both and if you're wanting to use it for programming go with ARC536PRO. ARC536PRO allows you to program your x36HP using RadioReferece database.

I have both also used arc products since the 250d. That being said Proscan I use all the time the favorites editor is awesome.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It would be nice if ProScan could edit the Main Database, so you could change the default 2-second Delay setting, default trunked systems to ID SEARCH instead of ID SCAN, and suchlike.
I started to look at that a few weeks ago before I got side tracked on some Web Server stuff. I didn't see a heck of alot of fields in the HPDB file format. Only Service Type so I don't know if it's even possible to change the Delay or ID SCAN/SEARCH. I will look again when I'm done with the current task.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
All that is in there somewhere. It's just a question of reverse-engineering the file format so that changes can be made without corrupting the database.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
All that is in there somewhere. It's just a question of reverse-engineering the file format so that changes can be made without corrupting the database.

From what I have seen (I'll look again), Sentinel doesn't read the Delay and the other parameters from the HPDB files. Sentinel will just display a default value. That's why you can't change the parameters in the HPDB (Database), only in the Favorites Editor.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Then there should be another file somewhere that has these default values. I doubt that stuff is hardcoded into the Sentinel .exe.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Then there should be another file somewhere that has these default values. I doubt that stuff is hardcoded into the Sentinel .exe.

Here's the location to the HPDB files. All I see are the Tone, Location, & Service Type

C:\ProgramData\Uniden\BCDx36HP_Sentinel\Database

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I'm not really sure if that's really correct. ProScan doesn't have the Sentinel HPDB support, granted. However ProScan does have RadioReference Database support. RRDB importing requires a RR subscription thou or the Get Clipboard function to import freqs and tgid's doesn't require a subscription. Also ProScan can import from the Sentinel HPDB without a RR subscription.

Sure there is a work around but what a pain,why not include the database tab like we all are accustomed to?
Why not simplify the whole process? Its been there since 396/996 series of scanners. You offer it in Unidens latest scanners the 996P2 & 325P2.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Here's the location to the HPDB files. All I see are the Tone, Location, & Service Type

C:\ProgramData\Uniden\BCDx36HP_Sentinel\Database

Look closer. Every talkgroup and frequency line has several tabs at the end, indicating columns of data that are not populated. I strongly suspect that if you put data between those tabs, it will show up in the "missing" columns in Sentinel.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Sure there is a work around but what a pain,why not include the database tab like we all are accustomed to?
Why not simplify the whole process? Its been there since 396/996 series of scanners. You offer it in Unidens latest scanners the 996P2 & 325P2.

ProScan has the Favorites Editor which imports from the RRDB. It's exactly the same for all supported scanners so no difference. I guess what you call pain is actually more versatile. This way we don't have to wait for the Uniden Weekly pull if any changes to the RRDB. Any system can be imported as soon as the changes have been posted.

Direct HPDB is high on the list. Just not enough hours in the day. Besides I have looked into this and done some work in this area.

{edit} Now that I'm looking at your posting more in detail, It sounds like you may not be aware of the ProScan Favorites Editor. It operates the same on all supported scanners with the same utilities. Just renamed.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Direct HPDB is high on the list. Just not enough hours in the day. Besides I have looked into this and done some work in this area.

Bob, I know you mention awhile back that you had it on your list of things to work on. Direct HPDB would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there are a lot of us that would like to see this happen.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob, I know you mention awhile back that you had it on your list of things to work on. Direct HPDB would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there are a lot of us that would like to see this happen.

If you could provide justification or advantages.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Changing default Delay values in the Main Database and such would be an obvious advantage.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Changing default Delay values in the Main Database and such would be an obvious advantage.

I'm not sure that's possible. I did try to edit the files before. I could change the Service Types and Locations and Sentinel could read the changes. I tried to insert Delay values and Sentinel didn't read them. I didn't get as far as trying to see if the scanner would read the changes yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.