new uniden scanner hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

I900D658

i was just reading about all the hype on unidens possible new scanner. but most people don't realize us people that own the 436 and 536 will probably be forgotten about by uniden and will end with a couple of boat anchors which cost a lot of money. I do believe these scanners have a lot more capability's that they are giving us

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Per Upman, the 436 and 536 are still in production, and the leaked scanner was of a concept that may or may not ever see production. So support for the 436 and 536 isn't going away any time soom.

Cambion

I wrote Uniden an Email the other day and did get a reply back. I got the same canned response that they cannot speak to any upcoming models because they do not know anything. This employee did confirm though that Uniden will have a new model releasing this year. But no specific date was given. Part of me wants to replace my PSR-500 with a 436HP now along with a G5... and wait to see what happens. But if they do release something that negates the simulcast nightmare, then what?

troymail

Silent Key
Part of me wants to replace my PSR-500 with a 436HP now along with a G5... and wait to see what happens. But if they do release something that negates the simulcast nightmare, then what?

In my opinion (I know some will disagree), this is EXACTLY why the "leak" was leaked.... at least in terms of making you think twice about buying the G5.... No mention that they've solved the simulcast issue (maybe they have, maybe they haven't) - but they've left that "maybe I should wait before I buy that Unication" idea in your head.....

Cambion

In my opinion (I know some will disagree), this is EXACTLY why the "leak" was leaked.... at least in terms of making you think twice about buying the G5.... No mention that they've solved the simulcast issue (maybe they have, maybe they haven't) - but they've left that "maybe I should wait before I buy that Unication" idea in your head.....
Yes they did. Those bastards!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Per Upman, the 436 and 536 are still in production,So support for the 436 and 536 isn't going away any time soom.

What support ? Even before UPMan's leave there was nothing going on. He can't even tell us if they are working on the missing analyze features that were announced over 4 years ago? What, is it some big secret that we don't want the competition to know?

Uniden has always been one step behind GRE/Whistler - With Phase 2 . DMR , and now NXDN.

Even if Uniden announced a new scanner , it would be six months before they ship, 6 months to release DMR, and who knows if NXDN will ever be.

Whistler may not have all the fancy bells and whistles, but at least you know what you're getting with out all the drama , no need to try to decode somone's avatar for clues on upcoming products. No extra fees and they give you a heads up with future updates.

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I dont get why some people complain about some of these issues. Its a hobby. You as a consumer do your home work before buying a product. If you dont like it send it back if its a new purchase. If you feel the company let you down and isnt supporting a product sell it and buy from a company who will.
Buy a freaking Motorola or Kenwood or Relm radio if you have LSM issues.
OH wait, then you will complain about something else.

I own these scanners and when i wanted better reception i did just that, got a G4, got a KNG2-P800
Sure it helps that I worked at a moto shop for a few years but i look at troymails avatar and think, man these people who complain about scanners are never happy. (yes i know plenty of people are happy with thiers so im focusing on the complainers).

Sell the scanners and move on. :) I love the forums and like to see people help each other out with tips and tricks and see some good stuff but so much negativity.

Sorry moderators, if you dont like this please let me know and ill edit it or yall can delete it. Not trying to stir things up. Just vent a bit.

Ubbe

I dont get why some people complain about some of these issues.

You should never let a manufacturer believe that when they releases a product they are done with it.
There are always things that goes wrong, software bugs, hardware not done correctly to save money.
If it is impossible to fix, they at least know what they need to do with their next model.
Never stop complaining if something isn't to your liking. They need the feedback to be able to improve.

/Ubbe

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Whoa, You said "You should never let a manufacturer believe that when they release a product they are done with it"
This product is done. It 4+ years old. Its been updated, due to its design they cant use software fixes to fix LSM issues.
A year ago they added DMR support because they have no new physical products so to breath life into an old product they added a feature.
If this was 2 year old or less sure.

I agree some what with the statement of complain so they improve a product but but never stop complaining if something isnt to your liking, not sure i agree with that. Again, going back to LSM, its not something that can be fixed in these units.

I will do what i have been doing and focus on the Unication forums. At least there are people who can be helped.

Perhaps if more people complained directly to Uniden and not on here, well no that wont work, if the company doesnt want to fix it i just plain wont get fixed.

milcom_chaser

What support ? Even before UPMan's leave there was nothing going on. He can't even tell us if they are working on the missing analyze features that were announced over 4 years ago? What, is it some big secret that we don't want the competition to know?

Uniden has always been one step behind GRE/Whistler - With Phase 2 . DMR , and now NXDN.

Even if Uniden announced a new scanner , it would be six months before they ship, 6 months to release DMR, and who knows if NXDN will ever be.

Whistler may not have all the fancy bells and whistles, but at least you know what you're getting with out all the drama , no need to try to decode somone's avatar for clues on upcoming products. No extra fees and they give you a heads up with future updates.

Uniden scanners actually follow trunk systems. As such they pay royalites:
https://www.motorolasolutions.com/co..._licensees.pdf

Whistler radios do not, and they (Whistler) choose to cripple their radio's by enforcing fixed band plans based off of FCC/NTIA information. Too bad for people who live in other countries who can't choose a band step size of their choice. If Facebook was afraid to improve their product out of fear of wrecking software code, it would have never evolved...

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I dont get why some people complain about some of these issues. Its a hobby. You as a consumer do your home work before buying a product. If you dont like it send it back if its a new purchase.

But what do you do when the company strings you along, saying the promised features are just around the corner, and then the next corner, then the next one and before you know it, you're out of the return period? Do you take the significant loss that this handicapped radio that everyone now knows has issues and will only pay pennies on the dollar for or do you hold on to it and hope the promised features materialize.

4+ years later and it still doesn't work the way it was initially advertised, yet Uniden is still saying "we're working on it"

And, yes, I am calling Paul a liar. If Universal put up info from a presentation on a concept radio, there is no way in h*** that there wasn't an NDA. If Universal doesn't lose their Uniden dealer status over this, there is no question that it was calculated and leaked. If Paul announced it, the x36 owners would be looking for pitchforks. There had to be an out for plausible deniability if the waters weren't testing properly.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A couple years ago Paul (UPman) stated the x36 line has a update map through 2019 I think it was so there may still be improvements coming.

k3fs

But what do you do when the company strings you along, saying the promised features are just around the corner, and then the next corner, then the next one and before you know it, you're out of the return period? Do you take the significant loss that this handicapped radio that everyone now knows has issues and will only pay pennies on the dollar for or do you hold on to it and hope the promised features materialize.

4+ years later and it still doesn't work the way it was initially advertised, yet Uniden is still saying "we're working on it"

And, yes, I am calling Paul a liar. If Universal put up info from a presentation on a concept radio, there is no way in h*** that there wasn't an NDA. If Universal doesn't lose their Uniden dealer status over this, there is no question that it was calculated and leaked. If Paul announced it, the x36 owners would be looking for pitchforks. There had to be an out for plausible deniability if the waters weren't testing properly.

I agree. companies need to be held accountable for delivering what they promise. Consumer fraud is not right. Uniden has been less than honest in dealing with the advanced analysis features ("a $100 value"), as well as how they have dealt with the UHF/VHF noise issue. If you had your radio fixed early on in the program, they are not showing any interest in fixing the UHF/ VHF issue for you.

It's a shame Uniden lets their beta testers treat their customers disrespectfully, and trash the competition. This occurs here as well as their heavily moderated yahoo groups. Where I work, If a volunteer did that, they would no longer be a volunteer for the organization. I know of volunteer organizations that also hold their volunteers to higher standards.It's telling that Uniden allows this treatment to their customers. This along with the first point shows Uniden's commitment to their customers.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I ag
It's a shame Uniden lets their beta testers treat their customers disrespectfully, and trash the competition. This occurs here as well as their heavily moderated yahoo groups. Where I work, If a volunteer did that, they would no longer be a volunteer for the organization. I know of volunteer organizations that also hold their volunteers to higher standards.It's telling that Uniden allows this treatment to their customers. This along with the first point shows Uniden's commitment to their customers.

And you know this how?

Status
Not open for further replies.