Portland 800mhz gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my 346xtc thats had all the 800mhz freqs and tg's programmed but but havent used it since 2016 and today I turned it on and for an hour nothing but radio silence. Again I have all freqs programmed and all TG's across all agencies and not a single bit of chatter.

Do they pull down 800mhz? I thought they had plans to keep it?

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
The 800 MHz Motorola system is still up and running, but your likely not going to hear too much on it.

Most of the agencies have been migrated over to the P-25 digital system. I still hear the Tri-Met patches and some users like the ODOT emergency response trucks on the 800 MHz side. But police, fire and other city services are all over on the digital side now.

- Chris

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I'm in a Hotel on the River in Vancouver and the Analog and Digital CC are strong listening to Fire and PD now

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of lost signals, my last trip over the mountain, I didn't hear the Clackamas SO VHF simulcasts. Are they gone for good now?

The 800 MHz Motorola system is still up and running, but your likely not going to hear too much on it.

Most of the agencies have been migrated over to the P-25 digital system. I still hear the Tri-Met patches and some users like the ODOT emergency response trucks on the 800 MHz side. But police, fire and other city services are all over on the digital side now.

- Chris

Huh I was under the belief Portland Police was broadcasting still over 800mhz and digital simultaneously somehow. They switched over to the P25 awhile back and I could still hear all dispatches as of late 2016.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Huh I was under the belief Portland Police was broadcasting still over 800mhz and digital simultaneously somehow. They switched over to the P25 awhile back and I could still hear all dispatches as of late 2016.

While they were transitioning over to the new system, they were simulcasting. Once the police got all their new digital radios, the simulcast would only appear on the analog system if someone had an analog radio set to the police talk group. It's still set that way, but since all the radios have been set up for the digital side, you probably won't hear to many police talk groups active unless someone switches on an analog radio to that talk group.

I think they are going to eventually start taking away some of the analog 800 MHz frequencies from the Motorola system and assigning them to the P-25 system.

- Chris

jeb2942

Feed Provider
At the time I was listening to East (12752), Central (7472) and North (30576) dispatch and also Fire dispatch (28944) and OPS 1 (4528). I'm sure these were all patches from the digital system. I don't regularly monitor the analog side anymore but I had read in this group sometime back that the plan was to keep these patches working for some time.

Otto

At the time I was listening to East (12752), Central (7472) and North (30576) dispatch and also Fire dispatch (28944) and OPS 1 (4528). I'm sure these were all patches from the digital system. I don't regularly monitor the analog side anymore but I had read in this group sometime back that the plan was to keep these patches working for some time.

I'm still hearing most if not all dispatch traffic for fire and police/sheriff on the old analog system. What I'm not hearing consistently is the TAC channels. I still monitor the analog system when I'm mobile because the simulcast distortion is so bad on the digital system, my scanner drops much of the voice traffic. At home, it's not so bad, mainly because I use a yagi antenna pointed at one site, which cuts out much of the simulcast issues.

Otto

Speaking of lost signals, my last trip over the mountain, I didn't hear the Clackamas SO VHF simulcasts. Are they gone for good now?

I still hear all three Clackamas Co. law channels in the VHF patch. All SO cars I see around town have the VHF antennas on them, so I am pretty sure it's still actively used in areas the 800 MHz system does not reach

wtp

or

a common law enforcement mutual aid frequency of 155.475 has been known as: National, NLEEF, NLER, LERN, LEEN, LEN, etc. It is now known as VLAW31
that might explain the antenna.
i just happen to catch that on the state page.

PaulNDaOC

Here is the latest from a BOEC technical source.

Gresham, the last agency to switch over is currently receiving their new radios. Simulcasting for public safety agencies will end shortly after completion of this task.

I do not have an exact date. Just very soon.

This is nowhere close to the few years of simulcast that was in the plan issued just prior to implementation began, unless that couple of years was the timespan figuring in Tri-Met etc...

If I were living there i would be ordering that Unication radio by now. $550

On a positive note, you are fortunate that this system is not fully encrypted which is becoming more and more common, as is Cresa cops and Lane County.

One last tidbit, a new BOEC director has been selected and starts in March. He is currently at C-COM and I believe is their current director.

Last edited:

Baker845

Last I heard Clack SO still has there Vhf Law channels in use patched to 800 mhz system. If they fill in the dead spots with a new system, i think Vhf channels will stay in use for little bit longer.I don't see clack co getting rid of there Vhf radio tell all counties around them go to a TRS.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
This is nowhere close to the few years of simulcast that was in the plan issued just prior to implementation began, unless that couple of years was the timespan figuring in Tri-Met etc...

Well, TriMet has long since moved it's users from the city's system to it's own one. It appears that TriMet's radio interconnection with the city (as in when Portland Police or Portland Streetcar talk on it) is still via 800 MHz, but if their system was instead connected to the city's P25 one I'm not sure what dependencies TriMet would have on 800 MHz.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
im running the Digital system on the west simulcast on OP25,a UnicationG4, and my 536 this weekend, working very nice,my 536 isnt causing many issues

Status
Not open for further replies.