programming cabel ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmi8dy

ok guys and galls,the programming cable that comes with a uniden scanner i have often heard of being a usb 2.0 on one end and a mini usb on the other end. i realy don't think the smaller end is called a mini usb. i've been trying to figure out what the " real " name is for the smaller end. the footprint in no way resembles a usb plug. so if anyone knows the correct name of this plug please share and and answer this question for me. i don't mind being schooled, thats how we all learn, thanks for your responce.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
ok guys and galls,the programming cable that comes with a uniden scanner i have often heard of being a usb 2.0 on one end and a mini usb on the other end. i realy don't think the smaller end is called a mini usb. i've been trying to figure out what the " real " name is for the smaller end. the footprint in no way resembles a usb plug. so if anyone knows the correct name of this plug please share and and answer this question for me. i don't mind being schooled, thats how we all learn, thanks for your responce.

It's definitely not a USB connector. It's a micro-miniature connector for power supply and signaling.

It is sometimes mistakenly referred to as a USB mini or USB micro connector because a small number of digital devices (a few cameras for example) actually do use it to transport USB signals, and you will often see it listed on some retail web sites and EBay incorrectly labeled as a USB connector for that reason.

It's a Hirose brand, and it's their part # MQ172X-4SA-CV(50)

It's the 4 position version listed here:

https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/185/MQ172_catalog-939657.pdf

Some suppliers now list that connector as "obsolete".

Edit --> Newer Uniden scanners do use an actual USB port on the scanner for programming. You are probably asking about the programming cable for the Uniden XT series or earlier?

Some newer Uniden scanners (BCD436HP & HP2 for example) are still using that type of Hirose connector for the GPS port.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Which Scanner? Hirose on HP1, USB onall the newer 536, HP2

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Which Scanner? Hirose on HP1, USB onall the newer 536, HP2

The HP1, HP2, and BCD436HP use USB connectors for programming and those 3 use Hirose for GPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.